Fuel line help/guidance

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Fuel line help/guidance

I plan to be hooking up my fuel system in the next few days. I have never done anything other than hook back up new of what was there, but this one will be a bit different. I have a 69 442 vert. I have installed a stock 455 with factory 4 barrel from a 69 delta 88. The 442 has 2 lines from the frame, and i assume they are supply and return.

I have a mechanical pump with 1 outlet. I plan to configure it with a regulator after the pump. This is where I need help. The lines off the frame both have rubber on them. I have read some things that advise no rubber on return? Or maybe some anti rubber sentiments. I just want to do it right and I don't mean factory, just safe and sensible and looking professional.

can someone post some pics and some descriptions of how and with what to make the connections? Perhaps advise on where and what regulator?

any other guidance is also appreciated.

Bob

Old August 20th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Gary

Bob, you are on the right track.

In 1969, the smaller of the two steel tubes between engine and tank is the return line. You are hooking up a carburetor, so the fuel pressure are relatively low. I can't think of any reason why suitable rubber hose would not be acceptable on the pressure side (pump pressure) and the return side (regulator outlet). As always, ensure the hoses are only long enough to span between hard lines. It's not safe to run lengths of rubber hose around the engine compartment.

Ensure you get high quality hose (nitrile rubber tube, single ply of fabric reinforcement, and neoprene rubber outer cover). It should be marked SAE30R6. The best is marked SAE30R7. Neither one should be used with fuel containing more than about 10 or 15% alcohol. Those are not rated for fuel on the outside cover, so they're not suitable inside the fuel tank; use SAE30R10 hose for that.

When you buy the hose, read the supplier's fine print. That will tell you the ratings and the chemical resistance. If you get hose from Summit or Jegs and are still concerned about suitability, you can call and get their advice to ensure you are getting the proper hose.
Old August 20th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rvsmith5
I have a mechanical pump with 1 outlet. I plan to configure it with a regulator after the pump. This is where I need help. The lines off the frame both have rubber on them. I have read some things that advise no rubber on return?
Well, they came from the factory with rubber on both lines because the engine vibrates, so it's a little difficult to use an all-metal line - it will fatigue from the vibration and crack. This is not a high pressure system, and the return port on the pump has a restrictor so that the return pressure in that line is even lower than the 5-6 PSI going to the pump. Don't lose any more sleep over this. FYI, get a pump with a return port and connect the return line. Recirculating part of the fuel helps keep it cooler, avoiding percolation and vapor lock.