couple questions

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Horsepower Junky

couple questions

I just got my 455 mounted this weekend and was wondering.
1. I am putting headers on and need to know the best kind of gasket to use?
2. I have a torker intake is it worth pluging the crossover?
I just read about blocking the heads crossover, Im not taking them back off for that so is it the same benafit doing the intake instead? Thanks Darin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
22.jpg (59.1 KB, 9 views)
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigde53
I just got my 455 mounted this weekend and was wondering.
1. I am putting headers on and need to know the best kind of gasket to use?
2. I have a torker intake is it worth pluging the crossover?
I just read about blocking the heads crossover, Im not taking them back off for that so is it the same benafit doing the intake instead? Thanks Darin
1. I like embossed copper gaskets.

2. Blocking the crossovers in the heads serves two purposes. First, it allows you to fix a flow disruption that is caused by the stock passageway. Second, it allows a cooler intake mixture. Blocking the crossover in the intake does only the latter. Frankly, unless you plan to race the car and take careful records on performance and jetting, I doubt you'll see a difference in performance.

Last edited by joe_padavano; April 6th, 2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:51 PM

I used the compressable copper gaskets from Summit, with copper high heat RTV, that would hold up for the summer before having to reapply the rtv sealent. Unless your planning on going racing, I wouldn't put on headers, they leak no matter what. I just swapped out my headers for W & Z 442, true exhaust manifolds. As far as the cross over, I have run my Torquer with and without an I haven't noticed any difference in how it runs. By the way, if you use the copper gaskets, open up the bottom of the out side holes on the gasket into a "U" shape, if you do develop a leak you can pull the gaskets without having to unbolt the whole header, just loosen the outer 2 bolts and remove the inner 3, the gasket will slip out the top.
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1964f-85
By the way, if you use the copper gaskets, open up the bottom of the out side holes on the gasket into a "U" shape, if you do develop a leak you can pull the gaskets without having to unbolt the whole header, just loosen the outer 2 bolts and remove the inner 3, the gasket will slip out the top.
That's a good trick for any header gaskets. If the gaskets I have aren't already cut like this (some are) then it's the first thing I do. That lets you get the header bolted up first without having to mess with the gasket at the same time.
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM

I use Mr Gasket Utra Seals on both my cars with headers. No leaks, but I'm using hooker super comps. Maybe some of the cheaper headers may be prone to leaks. JKaz
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Horsepower Junky

Thanks guys

I think I will leave the intake the way it is and I was leaning toward the copper gaskets for the headers. I want to head down to summit racing this week anyway. And that is a great tip on the gasket thanks again. Darin