1955 Power Steering crossover pipe:

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2017, 11:21 AM

1955 Power Steering crossover pipe:

I tried the search but couldn't find what I needed. Does anyone have a picture or know where I can buy a crossover pipe for '55 with PS? It doesn't look like there is any room for one. Did the factory use a right hand manifold on the left side and make the pipe go to the front? What about heat riser location?

I had my first 1955 Olds Holiday in 1966, but have no memory of how the pipe looked. Thanks in advance. Just got most of the engine back in today after rebuild and don't want to fire it up without crossover pipe.

Kirkwoodken
Old July 26th, 2017, 08:55 AM

Well, turns out I was wrong. Contrary to information in the 1955 Olds repair manual, my non PS crossover pipe DOES fit with PS. This is not the first time I've found mis-information in the Olds repair manual. I'm assuming the book was written before a production change on the pipe.
The pipe is a tight fit and must be installed from the top, not underneath the engine.

Today, I discovered a 1956 manifold will not work with a 1955 valley cover. I'm looking for one of those. Will a 1957 or later work with a 1956 manifold?

Last edited by kirkwoodken; July 26th, 2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I h a have no idea how you could possibly install the pipe from above. It runs from the left man to the right side and crosses under the oil pan.
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:23 PM

I don't think a 57 will fit a 55 or a 56, too wide at the top. And you are correct a 56 valley cover is a one year only but I have been told that a dent can be administered to the valley that will allow it to fit.I can't remember what was the high point was but it must be a close fit if a dent will give you clearance... Tedd
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:33 PM

Crossover and valley pan:

I know the later decks are taller, but I'll bet the valley size and shape is the same. The 55 cover is flat and there is a lot of space between the bottom of the 55 manifold and the valley cover. The 56 manifold has a hump on the bottom which contains the choke tube and it looks like it has greater volume, maybe to heat the carb faster when cold. The 56 manifold on the 55 cover sits high enough for there to be about 1/2" between the manifold and head ports.
I put a 371 in my first 55, but it was a complete engine and I never had it apart. Was hooked to the "R" series hydro. I'm trying to remember if I needed weight added to the flywheel, which I think was, but I really don't remember. It happened over 50 years ago. FWIW, the 371 didn't run much better than the 324.

I found some 56 heads to put a little extra compression in the 55 324 block. When I started on this project, which was predicated by a broken piston skirt, I didn't know how much difference there was between the two years. Live and learn.

Now I know the 56 Olds is in a class of its own. Different frame, engine, power steering, carb, cam, compression, power brakes, valves, push rods, gas tank.

I must add these Olds engines are very hard to work on, and too many bolt holes lead to oil or water. Parts are hard to find and expensive. If this engine gives trouble, it will be replaced by a Chevy and TH400. I still love the car. You can park any 50's to 60's car next to a new Lexus or Mercedes, and the new car disappears!

Thanks for your interested in my project.

Also bought a new cam from Fusick. Traced the cast-in numbers, CMC and CWC to the company who made the cam core, which is P-55 cast iron, and was ground by Camshaft Machine Company. Surprising what you can find with a computer.
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:43 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by kirkwoodken
You can park any 50's to 60's car next to a new Lexus or Mercedes, and the new car disappears!
Great line!!
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:08 AM

371's are externally balanced so the flywheel would need to be weighted and I still think the difference in deck height would give you problems with fitment with a valley cover off a 55 put on a 57 engine... Tedd
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have no idea how you could possibly install the pipe from above. It runs from the left man to the right side and crosses under the oil pan.
There was not enough room to get the pipe past the ends of the "A" arms, but it could be threaded through the top between the "A" arm ends and front frame member. Kind of like making a large circle under the front of the oil pan. There is only about 1/8" between the pipe and the power steering hydraulic cylinder. The left end of the pipe will slip right into the proper place at the heat riser.
Old August 6th, 2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I don't think a 57 will fit a 55 or a 56, too wide at the top. And you are correct a 56 valley cover is a one year only but I have been told that a dent can be administered to the valley that will allow it to fit.I can't remember what was the high point was but it must be a close fit if a dent will give you clearance... Tedd
Tedd: You must have done the valley cover dance before! The 57 cover is 5/16" wider than the 55 and 56 covers. Won't fit between 56 heads.The 56 manifold will not fit into the 55 flat cover. I did not know the 56 would heads/manifold would not fit the 55 cover. I can't believe they would change the valley width by 5/16".

I bought my first Olds in 1966, a wonderful car with 4700 miles. I put over 70,000 miles on it without any problems. Popular literature at the time said you could add another 20 HP to your 55 Olds by switching to 56 heads. What they didn't say was buying a complete 56 engine would have been a simpler task. Swapping to 56 heads on my present 55 has been a royal pain. Plus finding someone who can do standard type dependable rebuild work is becoming difficult, at least for me.
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Use the 56 valley cover with the 56 heads on the 55 block and it should work. Hot rodders have been putting the higher compression 56 heads on 303's and such for years. Rule of thumb on swapping heads all first generation heads will physically fit on all blocks but water and oil passages are different . Use the head gasket from the head you choose not the block. There are other issues to be addressed but that should get a 56 head on a 55 block. Most after market multi carb intakes have taken this into consideration and will fit on 56 55 or 303 blocks without modification . It's been a long long time ago I played with this swap but I think this is correct But my feelings won't be hurt if corrected by someone who has done this sooner than 50 years ago...A half a century is not yesterday but sometimes it seems like it was...... Tedd