what is this part called? can't find it anywhere. Mechanical Idle Solenoid? Valve?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2017, 01:42 PM

what is this part called? can't find it anywhere. Mechanical Idle Solenoid? Valve?

idle%20sol_zpskcpqddk0.jpg

So my internet sleuthing, and 2 Haynes manuals, has lead me nowhere looking for what to call this part. It is starting to bind up, so most of the time my curb idle screw doesn't make contact with the plate. I can only find "idle adjustment solenoids" for sale. and they all have electrical connections. I can't find anything that looks similar for sale. I would like to replace it if I can. I assume its job is to make the transition from open throttle to idle softer? can I just remove it and forget it ever existed? I just want to get this sorted before I finish tuning the carb. thanks!!!
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:49 PM

Idle stop solenoid. I seen someone selling one just like yours on eBay or asked around here and Im sure someone will sell you one.
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ELY442
Idle stop solenoid.
Look again. An idle stop solenoid is electrically operated. The item in the photo is a dashpot. It's simply a spring-loaded damper (think shock absorber) that prevents the throttle arm from slamming shut if you lift off the gas quickly. Exact replacements are available, but are not cheap.

Old May 1st, 2017, 02:50 PM

awesome. Thanks! I would have never figured out what to search. and damn...you are not kidding. these are expensive. I think I'm going to attempt different adjustments with it and see if I can get it to work ok before I drop $70 on a new one. thanks for the info!
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

If the plunger goes in and out, it's working. You adjust it by loosening the lock nut and turning the whole body to thread it in or out as needed.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:19 PM

To my knowledge, these dashpots are no longer being manufactured and only a few people have the old stock available. That's why they are so expensive. Not many used ones around because they have been tossed away.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM

You say it is "starting to bind up." Perhaps a little soaking in PB (Power Blaster) or WD-40 might help it work as intended?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
You say it is "starting to bind up." Perhaps a little soaking in PB (Power Blaster) or WD-40 might help it work as intended?
The plunger slides in a plastic sleeve. The rust on the plunger shaft is why it is binding. Petroleum-based lubricants will eventually attack the plastic sleeve. If you want to try to save this dashpot, carefully remove the rust from the plunger and only use silicone-based lubricants. Keep in mind that in the dirty underhood environment, any lubricant will attract and retain grit, compounding the problem.