What do you think about this find at Hershey?

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Registered Luser

Question What do you think about this find at Hershey?

I "scored" this complete aircleaner to oil pan with all brackets, p/s pump clutch fan '66 Toro engine at Hershey for $250! Motor does completely turn! B-heads, Dual snorkel air cleaner is in excellent condition even has pie pan! Looking to install(after a rebuild with mild upgrades) in my '65 vista....Will I be able to use this motor with the 6qt oilpan without issues with clearance? I understand I need to change exhaust mani's , oil filter adapter, and starter and motor mounts! Not sure yet if I will go with a TH400 or convert car to stick.....any advice would be helpful....my plan if to make the engine an surrounding compartment look as if it were "born" that way! A vista with a 425 (would like to get at least 400hp) should be neat! I'll even repaint the motor the original blue and keep the pie pan that says "Toronado"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0020.JPG (93.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN0021.JPG (95.1 KB, 36 views)
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Good score. I think it will be right at home in your '65.
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Damn great score. I am wondering how Joe missed that one.
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM

I'd say use your 330 filter adapter, Get some W/Z manifolds, sell the Toro intake and have fun.
Not sure if mods need to be done to the Toro pan or not.
Sounds like a plan to have a good time for sure.
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Damn great score. I am wondering how Joe missed that one.
So am I! What day did you find it? I walked every single inch of the swap meet on Thursday (my feet are only now back to normal) and I didn't see it. Nice score!
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
I'd say use your 330 filter adapter, Get some W/Z manifolds, sell the Toro intake and have fun.
Not sure if mods need to be done to the Toro pan or not.
Sounds like a plan to have a good time for sure.
Correct. You'll also need to use your RWD starter. Ultimately, you'll want to replace the 330 starter with at higher-torque unit. The Toro pan can be used as is.
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Luser

My feet and legs are still sore! You must be a veteran at Hershey as it was my first time there, and I couldn't figure the place out! Way too big! I need a better strategy next year! I was there Fri & Sat. You didn't miss it Joe! I met the guy I bought it from at Seven Springs. He is from W. Virginia and we actually planned on meeting at Hershey to make the deal! He brought it in his pick-up, I left with it in mine! I kind of embellished the story! By the way, thanks to everyone for the input so far. Joe, so the oil pan won't have any problems in the '65 A Body? Cool!
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Registered Luser

Deal not as good anymore as it did come with free crack in block.......hoping it is repairable! If all else is good(B-heads, rebuilt q-jet, rebuilt Delco starter, Excellent air cleaner and deep pan, still not a bad deal....right!
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Joe, question on Erik's starter. Somewhere I had read that a person can swap the "head" from the Toro starter to the more common Olds head and keep the high torque of the Toro starter. Do you know if that's true or not?

Erik, too bad we're on opposite sides of the country. I have extra 425 blocks but I'm sure the shipping costs would be crazy even for a bare block! John
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Joe, question on Erik's starter. Somewhere I had read that a person can swap the "head" from the Toro starter to the more common Olds head and keep the high torque of the Toro starter. Do you know if that's true or not?

Erik, too bad we're on opposite sides of the country. I have extra 425 blocks but I'm sure the shipping costs would be crazy even for a bare block! John
Good question John...I'd like to know the answer to that! Thanks for the thought....
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442

Yes, that's correct. The body of the starter is the same (and the Toro starter will be a high-torque unit). The starter nose piece from the 330 will bolt onto the Toro starter. The starter drive (bendix) is the same on both applications.