water pump block off.

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2015, 06:00 PM

water pump block off.

I need to block my water pump heater hose outlet. I used the rubber one's and lasted 2 years and then blew! (I should have listened) However, it did clean my aluminum intake like new. What a mess. I just added a hose for now last fall between the rear of the intake and the pump. Intake is just a pipe plug to eliminate.
Are these pressed in or threaded. Just thought I would ask as it is still in storage in my garage without looking. Getting ready for spring up here in Michigan. Thanks
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:54 AM

If it's the type in the photo, it should be pressed in. If it's a stage 1 V-8 it will be threaded.
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
If it's the type in the photo, it should be pressed in. If it's a stage 1 V-8 it will be threaded.
It looks to be pressed in. 71 Olds 455 water pump. Is there a best or easiest way to block it off barring rubber plugs?
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:39 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ziff396
It looks to be pressed in. 71 Olds 455 water pump. Is there a best or easiest way to block it off barring rubber plugs?
Yes, the '71 Olds V-8 engines ("stage 2 rocket") had pressed in nipples in the pumps. I'm not sure exactly what you used which failed, but those rubber "caps" usually have no cord reinforcement in them. The O.D. on the pressed in nipples in the pump is 3/4". So, while it may not be glamorous, you can get a short (about 2") piece of well reinforced 3/4" I.D. hose, a short (about 1") piece of 3/4" diameter rod (or cut off unthreaded bolt shank) and two sturdy hose clamps. Put the hose on the nipple; put the rod in the hose; and install the two clamps. It's relatively easy and cheap, and if done correctly it will make a plug which will not blow out or leak.
Old March 15th, 2015, 07:48 PM

You could also squash the nipples and remove them and then thread the housing to the size you want. Normally 3/8 npt or 1/2 npt. Brass pipe plugs will now work and they don't blow out. I did this to my pump.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ar-down-3.html

#83 this thread shows what I did in the last pic
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
You could also squash the nipples and remove them and then thread the housing to the size you want. Normally 3/8 npt or 1/2 npt. Brass pipe plugs will now work and they don't blow out. I did this to my pump.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ar-down-3.html

#83 this thread shows what I did in the last pic
Thanks! I think I will go this route.
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by ziff396
Thanks! I think I will go this route.
That is the professional way to do it, and it is to be preferred. It should have been done that way from the start, as were the older engines. But it is best done with the pump off the car. Accurate drilling and tapping on the car can be difficult. Shavings can get in the engine. While I'd prefer that approach also, I'd rather do it on the drill press. The best way is not always the easiest way.

Last edited by Ozzie; March 16th, 2015 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old March 17th, 2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
That is the professional way to do it, and it is to be preferred. It should have been done that way from the start, as were the older engines. But it is best done with the pump off the car. Accurate drilling and tapping on the car can be difficult. Shavings can get in the engine. While I'd prefer that approach also, I'd rather do it on the drill press. The best way is not always the easiest way.
I planned on pulling the pump but thanks!