W-30 Intake Restoration

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:06 PM

W-30 Intake Restoration

I have taken a 1970 W-30 cast aluminum Intake off of a parts car, which was not a W-30. It needs cleaned up before i post here for sale. Its definitely an original. Casting date of 12-15-69. It has rust residue where the mounting bolts are.

Should I drop it in a rust removal bath or will that damage it? is there a better way to clean the cast aluminum.

I will be looking to trade it, plus $$ for a 7040253 Carb.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 01:06 PM
Shoveling Snow

Have it wheel abraded
Old February 2nd, 2019, 01:21 PM

got it!

thanks!
Old February 2nd, 2019, 02:13 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Have it wheel abraded
Do you have any contacts for companies that do Wheelabration commercially?
Old February 2nd, 2019, 03:26 PM

A valuable piece like that I would have vapor blasted.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
A valuable piece like that I would have vapor blasted.
Yep, agree. Vapour blasting brought my manifold up beautifully and quite low cost. Here are a few before & after pics

Old February 2nd, 2019, 07:37 PM
Shoveling Snow

Originally Posted by VC455
Do you have any contacts for companies that do Wheelabration commercially?
Try a google search in your area.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:27 PM

Explain what this "Wheelabration" process is, please.
I think I would vapor blast or blast with glass beads at 40 PSI or less. I don't think walnut shells will work, but you could try it.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:51 AM
Shoveling Snow

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BhQxb66jgLV1M5
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the link. Good reading.

I would still go with glass beads at 40 PSI or less. This would help to maintain the original surface texture.

Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:58 AM

I found someone close that does Soda Blasting. basically baking soda
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:52 AM

Let us know how it works. Before and after pics would be nice.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:44 AM

Will do. here's before
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:55 AM

What goes here?

Mine is a factory w30 4spd car. what goes in this location (stole pic from above). I have a plug in mine. Am I supposed to have a vacuum port switch in that location?

Old February 27th, 2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by takeman
Mine is a factory w30 4spd car. what goes in this location (stole pic from above). I have a plug in mine. Am I supposed to have a vacuum port switch in that location?

No - your car would have the plug.
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
No - your car would have the plug.
Thank you.......
Old February 28th, 2019, 03:20 AM

Naval Jelly worked well for me. Brush it on spray it off with water.
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:43 AM

I spoke to my engine builder about this a while back. He said they have dip tanks specific to cast aluminum they use to cleanup aluminum manifolds. He said they come out very nice. Not sure what they use, but I can find out.
Old July 19th, 2019, 09:07 AM

Any after pics? If so, what route did you go?
Old July 19th, 2019, 10:03 AM

I have heard tumble finishing is the way to go to get back to an original type finish.
Old July 19th, 2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by twillis004
I have taken a 1970 W-30 cast aluminum Intake off of a parts car, which was not a W-30. It needs cleaned up before i post here for sale. Its definitely an original. Casting date of 12-15-69. It has rust residue where the mounting bolts are.

Should I drop it in a rust removal bath or will that damage it? is there a better way to clean the cast aluminum.

I will be looking to trade it, plus $$ for a 7040253 Carb.
Why not try trading or selling it first just as it is. Experience has taught me any interested buyer with experience wont pay or trade for a sellers clean-up in anticipation of a sale, and you might lessen your chances of a nice deal. This is one area we who love Oldsmobile might learn a lot from the Corvette restorers: blast cabinets with any common media ruins aluminum parts where a original finish and feel is crucial to a end result. Really rare parts are still commonly ruined for collectors and high-points restorers by careless treatment this way. Procedures, some top secret have been developed by shops to restore a as cast finish to modern aluminum parts. Think of Corvette aluminum fuel injection manifolds being blasted still greasy in the hobbyist garage blast cabinet with glass beads, ouch and ---$$$$.

I must say that finish on 35olds' manifold looks excellent in the pics. Observe the Winters foundry snowflake on the finished manifold and see how the detail remains sharp and I will bet in high relief when felt with a smooth finger. That snowflake is the easiest and most vulnerable way to tell if a GM manifold has been subjected to blasting, ruining it's value as a restoration piece. I never heard of vapor blasting before this but I'm gonna find out. Wonderful looking as cast and pickled surface appearance in the pic. Want to examine the results in person now, thanks to 35olds for sharing those views.
Old July 19th, 2019, 06:16 PM

I agree, if I were purchasing this I would want the opportunity to restore it my way. Chances are you won't be able to recoup your restoration cost in the sale price. Save yourself the trouble and sell it as is.

Originally Posted by coldwar
Why not try trading or selling it first just as it is. Experience has taught me any interested buyer with experience wont pay or trade for a sellers clean-up in anticipation of a sale, and you might lessen your chances of a nice deal. This is one area we who love Oldsmobile might learn a lot from the Corvette restorers: blast cabinets with any common media ruins aluminum parts where a original finish and feel is crucial to a end result. Really rare parts are still commonly ruined for collectors and high-points restorers by careless treatment this way. Procedures, some top secret have been developed by shops to restore a as cast finish to modern aluminum parts. Think of Corvette aluminum fuel injection manifolds being blasted still greasy in the hobbyist garage blast cabinet with glass beads, ouch and ---$$$$.

I must say that finish on 35olds' manifold looks excellent in the pics. Observe the Winters foundry snowflake on the finished manifold and see how the detail remains sharp and I will bet in high relief when felt with a smooth finger. That snowflake is the easiest and most vulnerable way to tell if a GM manifold has been subjected to blasting, ruining it's value as a restoration piece. I never heard of vapor blasting before this but I'm gonna find out. Wonderful looking as cast and pickled surface appearance in the pic. Want to examine the results in person now, thanks to 35olds for sharing those views.
Old July 19th, 2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar

This link will give you more info on the Vapour Blasting process, but in short its largely water with a slurry of generally super super fine glass bead. At a micro level it peens the surface and seals it.
https://www.vaporblastingequipment.c...asting-process
Old July 19th, 2019, 11:38 PM

A spray on mag wheel cleaner and soft brush may be good. It cleans up British motorcycle head fins.
.....Just my two cents worth.
Old July 20th, 2019, 05:31 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Vapor blast is just called a wet blast in the industry, many chemical plants like this method of blasting due to the fact its dustless, because alot of the old coating still have lead paint, keep in mind since water is used with crushed glass that steel will rose bloom or (flash rust) you can use a product with the water and glass called holdtight that will prevent the rusting process for a few days so you can paint..I would prefer to use aluminum oxide(soda) to blast, its dry and leaves very little profile and cleans up metal beautifully. Or think about using wallnut shells to blast or even dry ice..

Last edited by skyhigh; July 20th, 2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old July 20th, 2019, 05:58 AM

WD-40 does wonders for flash rust, or chance of it; cheap and simple.
Its also weldable through; atleast with MMA-welder- not actually to the topic, but worth the write.
Old July 25th, 2019, 08:44 AM

Not done yet. Supposed to drop off the engine and manifold mid-August. I'll post pictures when finished.
Old July 25th, 2019, 01:11 PM

HERE ARE SOME PICS, CAME OUT GOOD. TRADED FOR A CARB
Old July 26th, 2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by twillis004

HERE ARE SOME PICS, CAME OUT GOOD. TRADED FOR A CARB
Does look nice. What process was used to clean it up?
Old July 27th, 2019, 09:49 AM

soda blasting