Valve covers

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM

Valve covers

Who makes a decent set of taller than stock valve covers. I'ld honestly rather not spend $200+ on valve covers. Pls help!
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM

There's a place in California that sells them on ebay.They look like the factory style,but are taller/They come chromed,but could be painted for that sleeper look.They are even tall enough for rocker stud girdles.Price is around $30.00 (Thirty dollars).
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
There's a place in California that sells them on ebay.They look like the factory style,but are taller/They come chromed,but could be painted for that sleeper look.They are even tall enough for rocker stud girdles.Price is around $30.00 (Thirty dollars).

Neat!! I also saw similar over on dick millers site. probably the same.
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM

I have those covers on one car & a friend on his. They are very decent quality, chrome is decent & has not pitted after 2 years in a somewhat damp garage. For some reason I cant copy/paste link. Except for grommet holes being in different spot, they are not that noticeable unless you really look @ them or put side to side w/ stock cover.

Search "olds tall valve covers" Hotzone Performance

You will need "generic" grommets for PCV valve & breather. I have NAPA part #'s if you want them, just don't have them now.

**EDIT** Noticed Brian's post about height. On a 70 350 w/ LH alternator we had to grind a little "bow" into the bottom of the "H" shaped upper alt brkt that goes over the VC & bolts to the manifold. 72 style would probably not interfere & don't remember what style 71 used.

Last edited by bccan; February 19th, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM

I did a detailed write-up about this on www.realoldspower.com almost 2 years ago,with some detailed pictures,but I don't even know if that post can be retrieved. I got them for a customer's car,which is a 71 442,with AC.The engine is now a 470 with a solid roller,which should have rocker stud girdles to help with the stud flex.At the time,the stock looking tall covers weren't out yet,so we went with the fabricated sheetmetal covers,7 painted them blue,as he wants everything to look stock.I actually got the AC parts mounted without any problems,but the upper bracket could not be used.It was good though.The problem I had was with the driver's side alternator set-up.The sheetmetal covers are boxy,& stick out all over.The alternator would hit the covers if you tried to mount it.I made a spacer to move everything outboard,but then the obvious pulley alignment issues began.About this time,I found those new covers for sale.PERFECT! I ordered a set,wet-sanded them,& painted them blue.They have a very small baffle,which I removed,so they would clear the stud girdles.They are the exact same height as the sheetmetal covers,but look just like the stock ones.I now have all the AC stuff mounted,including the upper bracket,& all alternator stuff fits & clears without issues.Customer is very pleased.I plan on putting a set of one of my W30's,as it will get my 507,with the fully ported F-heads,solid roller cam,stud girdles,etc.
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM

ok i called the guy's at hotzone. Oh just a side note IMO i hate ordering from people who know less about this stuff than me it makes me weary about what i'm buying. but he has them and says they're 2" and 3quarters inch tall from the base to the baffle and 3 and 3/8's from the base to the top. I'm at work and don't have access to my motor right now to see if this will even fit. I do how ever know i have stock baffled valve covers bolted on there now. Does any one know the height of stock valve covers from the base to the oil baffle?