stuck lifter help

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:43 AM

stuck lifter help

this engine has not ran since the mid 80s. i primed it up with a drill till i had oil coming from most of the rockers. i got it started and one of the lifters is stuck. one that didn't have oil coming out while i was priming. is there any tricks to getting them to free up without pulling the intake? i am sure i will have to but thought i would ask. i only ran it for a minute, i am thinking i will run it longer and see what happens.
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:55 AM
Oldsdruid

The factory shop books recommended whacking the rocker arm on the offending lifter with a mallet while engine was running to free a stuck lifter or quiet it down.

But, since this one is apparently related to sludge/varnish/lack of use, dump a quart of Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil, or even some transmission fluid, in it and let it run a few minutes to see if it will free up.

Which engine is this Eric?
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Take the valve cover off, remove that rocker assy, and you can lift the push rod out a little bit and spray a $hit load of penetrating oil down through the pushrod hole. Reassemble the rockers, and hand turn the engine and tap on the offending rocker with a plastic mallet. That may break it loose!

When you pulled your valve covers off, was there a bunch of CA Ca in there?
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM

Know years ago as kid, would have older cars with stuck hydraulic lifters, and some solvent additives for this purpose would help. Maybe Risilone, but know it looked like a quart of paint thinner. Was only intended to run for a couple days, then the whole oil pan needed to be drained out. Sorry, as awhile back, but did free up the stuck lifters quite well.
Old September 1st, 2012, 01:30 PM
stetzie

Lacquer thinner will work for this. It will dissolve varnish like buildup faster than anything else I know of. Flood the lifter through the push-rod (if hollow push-rod) and tap gently and it should free up the stuck lifter. Years back I used a mixture of 2 quarts lacquer thinner, 2 quarts kerosene and 2 quarts oil. Let engine run at a little above idle speed but fast enough to maintain some oil pressure. You shouldn't have to run it long for this.
My 2cents worth.
stetzie
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... or just put 50 or 100 miles on it, and it'll probably free up on its own.

- Eric
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM

try marvel mystery oil
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM

i think this lifter is stuck on the very bottom of it's travel. it is very clean under the valve covers. i ran it for another 5 minutes till i had oil coming out all the rockers and it is still stuck. that rocker make all kinds of racket. i am going to change the oil anyway so i may run some penetrating oil down the push rod and leave it till tomorrow. thanks for the ideas.

this is the engine in my 70 W-30 i started the other thread on.