Replace crank bearings on a lift.

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Replace crank bearings on a lift.

I have a 455 in my 1971 Olds that has miserable oil pressure when warmed up and idling. About 3-4 lbs. It cruises with around 28 lbs. of pressure. I don't have the jingle to have the entire rebuild done and I can't do it myself anymore so I'm looking at options. My question is: Can the crank bearings be replaced by removing the oil pan without pulling the engine out? If so, is it OK to just replace the main bearings and do nothing else or am I kidding myself? This relates to just fixing the oil pressure problem and 'yes' I know the oil pump could also be the culprit. I just need to know what my options are. The oil pressure problem is really the only big problem the engine has except for it being somewhat anemic. (It's a dog.)

I checked with a local machine shop on the cost of a complete rebuild and I'd like your thoughts on this shops cost estimate. This is a well respected shop in the western suburbs of Chicago who regularly rebuilds Olds and Poncho 455's. He would include all labor and parts using top line products. In a casual conversation, he tells me he would pull the engine and dissassemble everything, check the block for cracks, aline hone, put in new higher compression pistons (to achieve 9.5:1), new rings, recondition and reuse the stock rods and crank, reuse the Holley carb and Performer intake I already have, install Comp Cams' roller cam, lifters and rocker arms, convert the 'E' heads to adjustable rocker arms, new valve guides, massage the heads, etc., bore .30 over, new main and rod bearings, new Melling oil pump, new water pump, new timing chain and balance the entire rotating assembly all for $5500 to $6K. If I can ever come up with the money, this is the route I'd like to go. Is this in the ballpark of "reasonable"? He gives a one year warranty. Thank you for any advice you can give.
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, you can pull the oil pan with the engine still in the car. Try it and you'll be hating life. You'll also be only a few bellhousing bolts away from having the whole motor out. Pulling the motor makes it MUCH easier to replace the bearings, but then the MIGHTASWELLS kick in. You MIGHTAWELL replace the rod bearings while you're there, and you MIGHTASWELL replace the oil pump while you're there, and at that point you're only a set of rings away from a rebuilt shortblock.....

Not that I'D ever do something like this.
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Thanks Joe. I needed that. I guess I'll continue saving for a while.