Really stupid question

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Really stupid question

Here's a really stupid question.. Being a chevy guy, I know smallblock and bigblock exhaust manifolds do not interchange, duh... But how about Olds. Are the exhaust manifolds the same for a 350 vs 455???
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM

They will bolt on but do not flow like BB manifolds and would be restrictive.
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dokks74
Here's a really stupid question.. Being a chevy guy, I know smallblock and bigblock exhaust manifolds do not interchange, duh... But how about Olds. Are the exhaust manifolds the same for a 350 vs 455???
The port configuration and spacing are the same on all Olds heads (except the peanut ports on the 7A heads used on the 1985-90 307 motors), but the manifolds are different due to the different deck heights. The added space on the BBO allowed taller, better flowing manifolds. Yes, the SBO manifolds will bolt to a 455, but that's kind of a waste due to the restriction.
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Thank you the fast response.I posted in another thread that I will be swapping a 350 out of an Omega and putting in a 455. I was told to use exhaust manifolds from an "A" body car, but how do I tell if the manifolds I have or am looking at came from a "A" body car???
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The port configuration and spacing are the same on all Olds heads (except the peanut ports on the 7A heads used on the 1985-90 307 motors), but the manifolds are different due to the different deck heights. The added space on the BBO allowed taller, better flowing manifolds. Yes, the SBO manifolds will bolt to a 455, but that's kind of a waste due to the restriction.
Thank you Joe. I thought your "name" was familiar. I am also a member of the AACA, of which I see you as a member also. Nice to be here with good people....
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM

If your LH has a W (#402295) and the RH has a Z (#402294) you got a good set of factory manifolds with divided center ports. These are from '69-'72
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Don L/442
If your LH has a W (#402295) and the RH has a Z (#402294) you got a good set of factory manifolds with divided center ports. These are from '69-'72
ty
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Registered car nut

[QUOTE=Dokks74;329111]I posted in another thread that I will be swapping a 350 out of an Omega and putting in a 455. QUOTE]

I like your way of thinking! I have to find your thread. Might go there myself. (455 Omega)
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=nonhog;329185]
I posted in another thread that I will be swapping a 350 out of an Omega and putting in a 455. QUOTE]

I like your way of thinking! I have to find your thread. Might go there myself. (455 Omega)
Yes sir...
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:22 AM

What year Omega Dokks? I'd love to have one. I'm also a bigtime Chevy guy. Also played with Pontiac back in the day, and dibbled around with Olds and never got my fill of Olds. So now older, I want to finish what I started with Olds. My gf of 10 years had a 73 Omega. I loved that car more than I did her. No joke !!! It was a hatchback with rusted just like all the hatchback Nova, Omega and Pontiac Ventura did. I'd even settle for a Pontiac Ventura at this point, but still put an Olds powerplant in it by getting mounts out of an Omega somewhere. They are hard to find in junkyards though. I just want differant than a Chevy for a change. Currently working on a 84 C20 Chevy pickup that was orignally 454/Th400 and going to go with an 1970 Olds 455 and a 1967 Olds Variable Pitch Th400 trans.
I'd sure like to see some pics of your Omega if you have any???
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodpc
What year Omega Dokks? I'd love to have one. I'm also a bigtime Chevy guy. Also played with Pontiac back in the day, and dibbled around with Olds and never got my fill of Olds. So now older, I want to finish what I started with Olds. My gf of 10 years had a 73 Omega. I loved that car more than I did her. No joke !!! It was a hatchback with rusted just like all the hatchback Nova, Omega and Pontiac Ventura did. I'd even settle for a Pontiac Ventura at this point, but still put an Olds powerplant in it by getting mounts out of an Omega somewhere. They are hard to find in junkyards though. I just want differant than a Chevy for a change. Currently working on a 84 C20 Chevy pickup that was orignally 454/Th400 and going to go with an 1970 Olds 455 and a 1967 Olds Variable Pitch Th400 trans.
I'd sure like to see some pics of your Omega if you have any???
I don't have any pix of the car as yet, because I don't have it in my possession. We're supposed to pick it up this Sat. It's a 74 with a 350/350 turbo. Interior is mint. It's also a hatchback, with NO RUST ANYWHERE in the trunk area. I bought a 74 Nova SS new, and my folks liked that car so much, they bought a 74 Buick Apollo.The Buick never could live up to the Nova, as it rotted out along the hatchback window,etc. They gave it to me during my nasty divorce, and it finally went down the road in 84. The Omega is red, with a black interior, and a black vinyl roof. It has the Olds SS wheels, and looks superb.I was actually looking for another Nova, but this one was soooo nice, and the price was just right, I had to buy it, along with all the extra parts. I've been going to car shows with my Nova and then my 40 Olds for 20 years,, and have never seen a Omega, let alone a Ventura, or Appollo.I looked at a Ventura last year but it was a rust bucket. Did you know that NOVA stands for...N= Nova...O=Omega...V=Ventura....A=Apollo..?? Pictures will be forthcoming, I promise.
Old October 11th, 2011, 04:49 AM

I don't have any pix of the car as yet, because I don't have it in my possession. We're supposed to pick it up this Sat. It's a 74 with a 350/350 turbo. Interior is mint. It's also a hatchback, with NO RUST ANYWHERE in the trunk area. I bought a 74 Nova SS new, and my folks liked that car so much, they bought a 74 Buick Apollo.The Buick never could live up to the Nova, as it rotted out along the hatchback window,etc. They gave it to me during my nasty divorce, and it finally went down the road in 84. The Omega is red, with a black interior, and a black vinyl roof. It has the Olds SS wheels, and looks superb.I was actually looking for another Nova, but this one was soooo nice, and the price was just right, I had to buy it, along with all the extra parts. I've been going to car shows with my Nova and then my 40 Olds for 20 years,, and have never seen a Omega, let alone a Ventura, or Appollo.I looked at a Ventura last year but it was a rust bucket. Did you know that NOVA stands for...N= Nova...O=Omega...V=Ventura....A=Apollo..?? Pictures will be forthcoming, I promise.
Sounds Awesome !!! I'll be holding you to post pics. You just don't see many of the Omega, Ventura, or Appolos these days. Likely most of them rusted out in the hatchback. Sounds as if your Omega may have been garage kept or at least carport most of its life. When you do the body style, everyone has a Nova. I'm Chevied out. Time for something different again.
Yes sir, I was aware of the NOVA in that body style of model names. Have to wonder, big coincidence or did GM plan it that way?
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Sounds Awesome !!! I'll be holding you to post pics. You just don't see many of the Omega, Ventura, or Appolos these days. Likely most of them rusted out in the hatchback. Sounds as if your Omega may have been garage kept or at least carport most of its life. When you do the body style, everyone has a Nova. I'm Chevied out. Time for something different again.
Yes sir, I was aware of the NOVA in that body style of model names. Have to wonder, big coincidence or did GM plan it that way?
I've had Impalas, Chevelles, Novas, GTOs, 442's, Corvettes,street rods, original cars, even an ****** gasser.I always go back to my Novas!! But, my 2 67 GTO's are and always will be a favorite.Pictures will be coming!!
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM

I've had Impalas, Chevelles, Novas, GTOs, 442's, Corvettes,street rods, original cars, even an ****** gasser.I always go back to my Novas!! But, my 2 67 GTO's are and always will be a favorite.Pictures will be coming!!

I'd be careful if I were you. So you've completed everything on your bucket list.... I've had a few 60's Chevy trucks, 69 Cutlass, 64 Grand Prix, 65 El Camino, 2 71 Novas, 73 Nova, and of course worked on the old gf's Omega. Came real close to having a 72 I think it was, Ventura but fell short of having all the funds and it sold the morning of the day I got paid. I wanted it bad too. Now I've just gotten rid of all my Pontiac motors and slimming down to only keeping 2 Olds 455's, Chev 454 and couple differant generation Chev 350's. I also want to do a LS conversion into an older truck like a 5.3 or 6.0 with a 4L80-E trans. At one time, I had 9 of the squarebody trucks, 81-86 models. Down to 4 now and 1 will be a ChevrOldslet w/ variable pitch Th400. 2 of the trucks are 4x4 so those are off road projects and I'd be happy to acquire an Olds car someday, whether it be a Cutlass, Omega or even a late 60's Delta 88 as long as its a 2 door. I just hope I live long enough to get all that completed and get to enjoy it.

Last edited by hotrodpc; October 11th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM

I've always liked the early chevy 4X4's. I had a silver 81 short box that you couldn't kill. I got rid of it because the cab fell down over the body, and my wife said "no more".It had 235,000 miles on her when I sold it.I have a 96 chevy 4X4 now with 200,000 miles on it, and still going strong.
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM

I've always liked the early chevy 4X4's. I had a silver 81 short box that you couldn't kill. I got rid of it because the cab fell down over the body, and my wife said "no more".It had 235,000 miles on her when I sold it.I have a 96 chevy 4X4 now with 200,000 miles on it, and still going strong.

I don't want to turn this into a Chevy thread, but man oh man. Those trucks are so plentiful and parts are so cheap you just can't go wrong to have one of them. And for a 4x4, you can't beat a straight front axle for strength compared to what GM used today. I've scooped all of mine up cheap and sold parts and scrapped trucks after I gutted them to where it has worked out, the 4 trucks I have left are FREE. One truck I bought complete. 86 C20 with a blown Th400 and a Crate 454 that had 30-40K on the motor. Rebuilt the trans, cruise worked, power locks and windows worked. Great truck, just needs paint and a couple dents fixed. NO RUST at all. The truck had 30 gallons of gas in at which was $3.75 a gallon and that time. I paid $100 for that truck so with the gas that was in it, it was a FREE truck from the start and a great running 454. The guy had to move it cuz it was on a military base. He didnt have the title so Pull A Part wouldn't take it. I told him I'd take it, if he orders the lost title and gets it to me within 10 days. So I took the truck right a way, gave him his $100 when I got the title and got him off the hook with his military housing. Everyone is happy.
The 4x4 I just bought, had a crate 350 with 10K miles on it. Only had 1st, 2nd and reverse. The idiot did not hook up the TV cable to the 700r4 after he just put a Eddy ESP intake, 600 Eddy carb, and headers on it. It fried the trans. The dad was so pissed and sick of putting money in the truck, he told his son, cut your losses and get rid of the damn thing. The kid found another car he wanted, was short $500 and sold me the truck for $500 as was. I drove it home in 2nd gear. Put a Th350 in it and loving it running great. The intake, carb and headers alone were worth the $500 not to mention the 10K mile crate motor. Also needs paint, little rust spot on the bed behind the wheel on passenger side, power windows not going up and down, and the AC blower is not blowing. No biggie. Nothing I can't fix for cheap. $500 is most I've ever paid for one. The rest were $50-$250.

This is why I bought the one with the original Olds Diesal. I want the Olds 455 in the $100 truck, and the 454 is going into the other 4x4 I bought for $200. I've already got me an Emblem for my ChevrOldslet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chevroldsletlogo4.jpg (9.6 KB, 3 views)
Old October 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Pictures are UP!!!