Proper Engine color for 394

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2006, 05:02 PM

Proper Engine color for 394

Outta curiosity, who can I get ahold of to find the correct color for my 394s? I have a '60 Super88 and a '62 with a low compression 394 w/2bbl. Both cars are original, the '62 a one-owner with no rebuild......the engines on both are a medium turquoise color.

I know in most '62s they were red, and I once owned another '62 w/a red engine. I have contacted USA Parts Supply, and they have what's listed as correct for the 394, but it's a darker green, like you'd see on say '55s with the yellow "Oldsmobile Rocket" stenciling on the valve covers.

I think I'm right, they think they're right, and all I want to do is do it right!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:37 PM

You're right - I had a previous '62 with a high comp 2bbl 394 and it was red. But my '60 Olds and the current '62 Olds both have the "green" paint. It's definitely aqua-green, kinda like the bottom of a pool.

The only thing I can think to do is take a piece to the paint store and get a quart matched up from them.

There was an auction on Ebay this week for a '59 Olds 98 which was reportedly untouched w/an original 6800mi on it. It had the original Star Lite headliner and the engine was extremely clean and was the aqua green color.
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Engine color

When I recently rebuilt my Starfire's 394, I found rattle can Chrysler orange to be very close to the original Olds color. I haven't seen that green in many many years. Did a '64 Dynamic 88 back in '84 and the color was still available. Check with Fusick since they specialize in Oldsmobiles. Also for the silver on the aircleaner and valve covers, I found a Wurth product that we used to use on our Porsche racecar wheels. Otherwise have a paint store mix some semi-gloss for that as well. This base and clear holds up better anyhow. ALWAYS use acid etch primer on the bare clean cast iron parts and the paint will last forever.
JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
394 engine 4.jpg (75.0 KB, 50 views)
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Nice looking engine Jake, did you rebuild it completely? like the way you painted the ribs on the valve covers too.
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM

64 394 rebuild

Yes, it took exactly 2 years and almost $4,000 to get this thing running. Parts are very expensive for these. I really regret having Egge "reprofile" the cam instead of buying a new one. Car runs good, but nothing like a brand new part.

Except for the machining, did all the work myself. Had to pull the left head twice because I was bending exhaust valves. Turned out clearance was way too tight for one of these motors. Needs to be almost .002". Also, S/S valve stems need to be polished to give them a better micro-finish. Extensive work on heads done by a close freind. Hardened seats on intake and exhaust. Bored .030 with Egge pistons.

Anyone interested in how to Hot-Rod one of these should contact Ross's Machine in Niles, Ohio. He is a nice guy and helped me out of a jam several times. He specializes in 50's GM engines.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sixoh
Outta curiosity, who can I get ahold of to find the correct color for my 394s? I have a '60 Super88 and a '62 with a low compression 394 w/2bbl. Both cars are original, the '62 a one-owner with no rebuild......the engines on both are a medium turquoise color.

I know in most '62s they were red, and I once owned another '62 w/a red engine. I have contacted USA Parts Supply, and they have what's listed as correct for the 394, but it's a darker green, like you'd see on say '55s with the yellow "Oldsmobile Rocket" stenciling on the valve covers.

I think I'm right, they think they're right, and all I want to do is do it right!
The 60 engine I'm not sure of - the 62s all High compression 394s are Rocket Red. Low compression engines are green/turquoise - Contact the Olds History Museum for Definitive answers.