piston ?

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM

piston ?

Is Sealed Power and Speed Pro the same company? Shopping pistons on Summit for .040 over pistons for my 455. The only forged ones that came up were those two. The only diff in the part number is a letter added to one of them. Was going to get a set from Mondello's, but it seems ill advised after reading some other stuff on here. I've had good luck with Sealed Power in the past.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM

Quick search for "speed pro" -

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...power-trw.html
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM

i have a hard time finding posts on here :/ Knew I had just seen one, but couldn't remember where. Do you know if KB has 455 forged pistons .040 jover? Haven't had much luck with internet searches. I'm not a computer guy btw
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM

No worries Yes, KB has a line called ICON...they are forged pistons. The ICON 886's are a great piston for a N/A motor, and they're fairly reasonably priced. If you search summit for ICON 886 it should turn up.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM

I've got a set of the Icons in .040 over waiting to go into my 455. The have two versions, the 14.4 cc dish 886s and the 25 cc 887s; I've got the latter. The compression height is .015 higher than the Speed Pros, so the comp with the Icons will be higher than a straight cc comparison would indicate. Also, they're quite a bit lighter than the Speed Pros, and the design of them allows for some quench, although most Olds heads won't have much, anyway. Very nice pieces for the money.

Also, they can be had for much less than Summit has them for; I picked up mine for almost $200 less brand new.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM

well how bout a link Chris! hahaha
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:11 PM

Not sure what the policy is around here on that, but I got mine from CNC Motorsports. Not the only stuff I've gotten there; they do drop ship a lot more than the big guys. Not quite the speed of Summit, but I've had good luck. Their website is a total pain to navigate, but the stuff is there.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:28 PM

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/icon-...-156-bore.html

$471 a set
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 442Chris
Not sure what the policy is around here on that, but I got mine from CNC Motorsports. Not the only stuff I've gotten there; they do drop ship a lot more than the big guys. Not quite the speed of Summit, but I've had good luck. Their website is a total pain to navigate, but the stuff is there.
This is an open source forum, we need all the help we can get. If you find it cheap, post a link, put a flag on it, raise all kinds of hell, and YELL AND SCREAM so we all see it. We're here to help in any way we can, especially if that means saving another member money lol!

Steve
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM

He needs this one for a .040" overbore

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/pisto...-166-bore.html
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
This is an open source forum, we need all the help we can get. If you find it cheap, post a link, put a flag on it, raise all kinds of hell, and YELL AND SCREAM so we all see it. We're here to help in any way we can, especially if that means saving another member money lol!

Steve
My daily car is an LS2 GTO, so I've become used to the corporate owned boards for LS powered stuff. Posting nonsponsor links on there is a huge no-no. This is hugely better, to say the least, especially given our unfortunate redheaded stepchild status in the GM hierarchy these days.

That being the case with the rules, I've got these:

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/pisto...-166-bore.html

They also can beat Summit on ARP stuff by a couple bucks, I just received a set of main studs and head bolts form them the other day.

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/arp-b...ldsmobile.html

Since they do flat rate shipping on stuff like the big guys, might as well use them for the stuff that's cheaper.

BTW, back the original topic of pistons, my machinist recommended the Icons pretty highly over the Speed Pros. Seems like not much money to upgrade to better designed crowns, lighter weight, floating pins, and thinner rings. Basically a modern forged piston compared with a forge clone of the stockers. Also, obviously not a part that is easy to upgrade once the build is done.
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Keep in mind summit does price match anyone so if you can find them cheaper on Amazon or wherever...give summit a call and they'll match it. And their customer service is much better than some of the small shops.