Parts for '62 394? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 06:13 AM

Parts for '62 394? Help!!!

Hello! I've got a '62 Dynamic 88, almost entirely original, but I am having horrible trouble finding parts for her!! My mechanic took out the engine, took everything apart, and told me I need to replace the crankshaft to get her running again. (Was my daily driver until my husband pushed the poor old engine way too hard while out joyriding.)
Does anyone know where to get parts for this engine??? Most specifically, a crankshaft? I don't care about keeping anything original right now; I just need to get my daily driver running again!!
And, would it be wise, financially, to replace the engine with something a little less rare? I really love this car, my dream car, and I'd absolutely hate to sell her, but if the parts are impossible to find, I suppose that's what I'll have to do! (And take a huge financial loss, as these cars seem to be worth nothing here in El Paso, TX!)
Please, help!!!
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:32 AM

Try this one on eBay... The guy is in Texas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crankshaft-O...#ht_351wt_1043
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:50 AM

Thank you very much!! I guess I'm going to have to learn how to use eBay!
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:58 AM

You obviously didn't try the parts for sale section here. It's a pick up only item in CA, but you can get a crankshaft from a parted 394 for ten bucks. You just have to look
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:13 AM

Pick-up only? In Cali? I wish that were a feasible option.
Where are all these parted out 394's and inexpensive crankshafts? I've been lookin', lookin' 'til I'm teary eyed, and I can't find them...
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:48 AM

Try calling CTC Auto Ranch in Denton, TX:

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/index.html

Also try the AACA online forums, they have extensive buy / sell forums for all makes of cars.
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Hi sorry to hear about this, I have had very good dealings with Blownolds in southern california and yesterday he listed lots of 394 parts on here for pick-up only, worth a try. How bad is your crank? can it be ground back into spec and get under size bearings. I bought my bearings from falcon on e-bay for a 63 394.
Steve
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Thank ya'll for the links and such! Great information!
I'm not sure if it can be ground back? I don't even know what's wrong with it! "My" mechanic doesn't speak a word of English, and he just told my husband to tell me to buy a replacement for it. I'll definitely have my husband call the guy and ask if it can be reground. Then I suppose I'll try to figure out what bearings are and how to know what size to get! Haha
Thank you!
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by AHolden
Thank ya'll for the links and such! Great information!
I'm not sure if it can be ground back? I don't even know what's wrong with it! "My" mechanic doesn't speak a word of English, and he just told my husband to tell me to buy a replacement for it. I'll definitely have my husband call the guy and ask if it can be reground. Then I suppose I'll try to figure out what bearings are and how to know what size to get! Haha
Thank you!
While a used replacement will probably be cheaper, if you can't find one a worn crank can be welded up and ground back to the original size. A competent machine shop can do this.

Be aware that the 394 Olds is not a Chevy, which is unfortunately the only engine most "mechanics" know how to fix, so you might want to find a mechanic more versed in one of these older motors.