Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2013, 06:14 PM

Oil Leak

I put my new motor in the car, 68 442 original 400 motor. Ran great changed the oil to replace the break in oil and know It is leaking out of the top of the dipstick tube, what would cause this? I have not over filled oil, any ideas??
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM

pvc valve?
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:09 PM

new pcv on drivers side and breather on passenger side was getting oil through pvc and breather causing allot of smoke. Installed morroso baffled grommets on both with a slit the whole width, no more smoke but now oil form dipstick tube.
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Your PCV is not working well with the grommets. Your rings are not fully seated so your compounding the problem.

This hooked to your air cleaner base will help dramatically also:

Old August 7th, 2013, 08:47 PM

Should I replace the breather I have with one like this? What can I do to make the grommets work better?
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Administrator

What valve covers are you using? Pictures?
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:25 PM

I'm using cast aluminum valve covers with Oldsmobile script on them I got them from Summit I cant seem to get a picture I guess I don't know to do that I have a picture of them cant get it added to the message
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
valve cover.jpg (9.9 KB, 21 views)
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:26 PM

Well I guess I figured it out! these are the valve covers I'm using
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Did they come with metal plates to screw on in the inside?
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM

no they are not baffled
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Administrator

You might try moving your PCV to the passenger side. I would hook a breather like the one I posted to your air cleaner to see if you can get a tiny bit more vacuum through the crankcase. If you pull the breather with the PCV disconnected and engine idling are you seeing any blowby?
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:15 PM

I will move the pcv to the other side and try one of the breathers you recommended and connect the breather to the air cleaner, are they available at most parts stores? . Wile I am doing that I can check for blow by. Before I put the baffled grommets on I was getting allot of blow by. Do you think I need to do something different with the grommets? I could have baffles installed in the valve covers if I had to but I'm guessing that wouldn't be cheap.
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Were there any mounting lands in there to put baffles in? Normally they make provisions for them.

You can use this breather for both sides run one line to the air cleaner and hook the PCV to the other :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-42993

and this grommet to hook up an inline pcv:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-gv30

Both these items can be had at a Napa store.
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM

OK first the valve covers do not have landings for baffles. I will give these a try but I do have a couple questions on the picture you just sent.
1. Should I use the baffled grommets I have installed in the valve covers now or should I use standard un-baffled grommets.
2. I will install one of the baffles pictured in your last post on each side. On the passenger side I will connect the grommet you sent a picture of in you last post to the breather and install an inline pcv valve and connect it to the carb as it is connected now.
3. On the drivers side I will install the breather pictured in your last post as I did on the passenger side. Do I also install the first breather you sent me a picture of and then go to the air cleaner or will I not use the first pictured breather and go straight to the air cleaner from the breather in the last post you sent?
Sorry if I am making this more complicated than it needs to be but I want to get this fixed correctly.
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris J
OK first the valve covers do not have landings for baffles. I will give these a try but I do have a couple questions on the picture you just sent.
1. Should I use the baffled grommets I have installed in the valve covers now or should I use standard un-baffled grommets.

Try it with a regular grommet first, hopefully it will not fill with oil.

2. I will install one of the baffles pictured in your last post on each side. On the passenger side I will connect the grommet you sent a picture of in you last post to the breather and install an inline pcv valve and connect it to the carb as it is connected now.

Correct.

3. On the drivers side I will install the breather pictured in your last post as I did on the passenger side. Do I also install the first breather you sent me a picture of and then go to the air cleaner or will I not use the first pictured breather and go straight to the air cleaner from the breather in the last post you sent?

I suggested to use the black ones for uniformity, but if you can get the first one in black or paint it black they would look pretty much the same. The nice part of these parts is they are not very expensive and if it works you can use those valve covers.

You should have 1 breather on each side. The rubber grommet goes into the breather.

Sorry if I am making this more complicated than it needs to be but I want to get this fixed correctly.

It's not a problem, this what we do, we help each other.

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 9th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:47 PM

I will give it a try it will be a few days until I can as I don't have any days off for a week. I plane to see if I can get the parts locally if not I will order from Summit. As soon as I have a result good or bad I will let you know. If they get to much oil in them do you think it would be worth trying with the baffled grommets as well?
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Yes the next step would be the baffled grommets. Print the pictures and take them to a napa store, the part numbers are there.
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:27 AM

I had s pair of those valve covers, the previous owner had fabbed aluminum baffles and used rtv to glue them in below the breather.
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:58 PM

OK I finally got the parts and was able to make some progress tonight as we discussed I was planning on moving the pcv valve to the passenger side with a WIX breather and an in line pcv and putting another wix breather on the drivers side and connecting it to the base of the air cleaner. Problem is the wix wix breather would not fit on the drivers side it hit the brake booster. So I replaced the baffled grommet on the drivers side with one that had the proper opening in it and re installed the pcv valve. On the the passenger side I installed a new un-baffled grommet and a wix breather and connecting it to the base of the air cleaner. Started the car and ran it to temp of 190, the temp it started blowing oil before the changes, and it worked great no leaks anywhere. I know the real test will be when I drive the car and that should be in a week or two, I will post another update then. But for now it appears the problem is solved! Thanks everyone for your help.
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Good to hear, hopefully the test drive will go well also. Post some pictures of how it looks.
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:35 PM

here is a pic of how it turned out, thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
breather.jpg (9.6 KB, 43 views)
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Hopefully it will function as good as it looks for a long time.