Oil fill tube or lack of

Old November 12th, 2018, 05:22 PM

Oil fill tube or lack of

I bought a 455 that has an expansion plug where the oil fill tube goes. The valve covers have baffles that look like they would make adding oil through them be painfully slow. I'm thinking I would like to leave the fill tube out but I was wondering if the hole could be used for the PCV valve without sucking tons of oil out of the engine. I know oil would be flung off the timing gear but there is a sheetmetal baffle so the oil couldn't hit the PCV directly. I was just looking at having a slightly different look to the engine. What do y'all think?
Old November 12th, 2018, 08:07 PM

Pull the plug and put back the oil fill tube. The oil fill also lubes the timing chain and fuel pump eccentric when you do an oil change.
Old November 13th, 2018, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Pull the plug and put back the oil fill tube. The oil fill also lubes the timing chain and fuel pump eccentric when you do an oil change.
Uh if you dont have any residue oil on those pieces when you’re doing an oil change then you’re in a heap of trouble. Just sayin.
Old November 13th, 2018, 05:40 AM

The spit hole in the oil galley plug does the timing chain oiling. If you remove the cup plug, make sure the baffle is still in the block under it.
Old November 14th, 2018, 09:54 AM

You'd still pull a lot of oil if you use that hole for PCV. There's too much splash from the front oil galley squirter.
Old November 15th, 2018, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I've removed the plug and will install the tube, if I can't figure out something else.
Old November 17th, 2018, 06:01 AM

You could add a rocker cover that has no baffle to add oil. I used one on a Chevy motor years ago never was a problem. As for timing chain it gets lube from the oil pan. So plugging oil fill hole in block is really not a problem.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
You could add a rocker cover that has no baffle to add oil. I used one on a Chevy motor years ago never was a problem. As for timing chain it gets lube from the oil pan. So plugging oil fill hole in block is really not a problem.
The chain gets lube from the oil galley plug in the front of the block, same with the fuel pump eccentric, the oil pan is there to catch the lube and return it to the sump so the pump can pick it up and start the process all over again.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 05:03 PM

Do you think Oldsmobile would have spent the money to drill the holes in the oil galley plugs if it wasn’t absolutely necessary? There isn’t nearly enough oil around the crank gear to properly lube the timing chain and fuel pump eccentric unless the oil pan is severely overfilled. People spend way too much time trying to re-engineering things that work perfectly fine as is.