No oil in pan after rebhild?

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2016, 04:00 PM
CJG

No oil in pan after rebhild?

Ok finally got. Chan e to look in this engine with a scope and. Cylinders look nice and clean on as do the pistols. Pulled plug in pan and no oil drained out. Is this normal if it's been sitting for a long time after rebuild or do they drain it after circulating it or should I be concerned?
Old July 31st, 2016, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Most engines rebuilders do not ship engines with oil in them.
Old July 31st, 2016, 04:33 PM
CJG

Ok well I figured that as I'm in the car business myself, but supposedly it was built in Arkansas who knows how long ago then traded to a guy in Oklahoma almost a year ago. Then I went and got it from the guy in Oklahoma last weekend. I really have no idea what I have and short of tearing it all down which I want to avoid if possible all I have is the scope to look inside. It looks all clean and freshly machined near as I can tell and turns over by hand and wrench easily and smooth.just want to know if I'm going to drop it in without worry.
Old July 31st, 2016, 04:48 PM
Administrator

I'd first fill the engine with oil, pull the valve covers and prime it making sure the valve train is oiling. once installed I would do another proper cam breakin to be on the safe side. Perform another oil change and go with it.
Old July 31st, 2016, 04:57 PM
CJG

I asked it had been ran he said no just enough to get oil all through it. So if I fill it with oil then what crank by hand on the stand? Sorry we are very novice to this. And by can break in you mean drive it with varying rpms etc like a normal break in for a couple hundred miles?
Old July 31st, 2016, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Is it supposed to be a stock or performance rebuild?
Old July 31st, 2016, 05:07 PM
CJG

All I know is it's a mid70s block with j heads. 30 over with 3 angle valve job and a comp 278 cam and new stainless valves and resized rods and double roller timing . whatever that all means lol. So I'd say Prolly a mild build. Supposedly 10.5 to 1 compression but have no idea what gaskets were used etc. From what I've read I am guestimating maybe 375 HP and a little better than 500 torque.
Old July 31st, 2016, 05:15 PM
Administrator

IS it still on the stand or installed?
Old July 31st, 2016, 06:55 PM
CJG

It is still on a stand.
Old July 31st, 2016, 07:43 PM
Administrator

If it were me, I would pull the intake, valve covers, loosen rockers, and move the pushrods out of the way. Then I would pull all the lifters and set each one next to the bores. I would buy some moly cam lube and a small acid swabbing brush and lube all the cam lobes while turning the engine by hand. Then lube the bottoms of lifters and put them back in the bores they came from. Then I would reinstall the intake with a new gasket, and reassemble and adjust the rockers.

Pull the distributor and prime the oil system, you can buy a tool or use a long extension with a 5/16ths socket taped to it to prevent it from falling off. You need a 1/2in drive drill to run it CCW until your see oil streaming from all the rockers.

Then install the engine in the car.
Old July 31st, 2016, 07:46 PM
CJG

Ok. Thank you!