No Compression On Fresh Rebuild 400 E Block

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2018, 05:57 PM

Question No Compression On Fresh Rebuild 400 E Block

I just installed my fresh rebuild 400 E block in my 67 442. Went to crank it over and sounded like it was free wheeling. No Compression.. The short block was rebuilt, bored out .030 or .060 over ( I can't really remember right now, my head is still spinning) with new pistons, bearings and stock w-30 cam. I remember checking the timing marks when I got the block back from the engine shop and they were dot to dot, cam and crank. The only thing that bothered me were the push rods I replaced. When I compared them to the old ones I removed they were almost a 1/4 inch longer than the original ones. I ordered these from Super Cars Unlimited so I thought they were correct, seeing the ones I removed come to find out were all shorter except for two? So I figured that someone had thrown this engine together with left over parts just to sell it? I don't know, all I know is when I first cranked it today for the first time and heard what the engine sounded like, I felt sick inside. I have heard this free wheeling sound before but never in any of my Oldsmobiles. …….. If these push rods were too long would thet be holding the valves open causing no compression? It seems the old ones were about 9 1/4 inches long and the new ones are about 9 1/2 inches long. I think the spec for this year is 9.146 How do I properly measure these...With what? Any thoughts? I picked the wrong time to quit drinking I think..... HELP S.O.S
Old September 29th, 2018, 06:35 PM
72 Olds CS

Def sounds like the prs are to long holding the valves open causing no comp. I think you will need an adjustable pr to measure and see what size you need
Old September 29th, 2018, 09:05 PM

Thanks, I will look into it...
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:16 PM

Just to let you guys know, Yes the pushrods were way to long and holding the valves open... I got these from SuperCars Unlimited, never had a problem with anything I ordered from them. Guess I should of measured them before. They sent me the correct size....good now
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

An aftermarket cam with a reduced base circle will need longer than stock pushrods. You didn't tell us what cam you have.
Old October 31st, 2018, 07:12 PM

It was a stock W-30 camshaft …. The pushrods were boxed wrong, almost a quarter inch to long.. Thanks Joe