New Oldsmobile Owner...

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2018, 06:05 PM

New Oldsmobile Owner...

Please forgive me, I’m a new, 1st time Oldsmobile owner..... (Mopar Guy... don’t hate me)
so I just took position of my first Oldsmobile.
1970 Cutlass with a 455. My Uncle restored the car and has recently passed it to me.
this may be a really dumb question but I must ask it.....
The car is a Beautifully restored vehicle with a big block 455.... He did an awesome job on the car.
as I checked the oil level, it needed a quart.... there is a tall (what looks like an “Oil filler Tube” at the front of the
block.... and a oil cap one each valve cover..... Dumb question.... is there any reason why I can’t add oil at the valve cover cap locations as on most engines?…………
Thank you for your responses and feel free to laugh if needed...LOL

also, I’m new to this Chat stuff and this sight so if I placed this in the wrong spot or shouldn’t have started a new thread I’m still learning
Old November 3rd, 2018, 06:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hardheaded
Please forgive me, I’m a new, 1st time Oldsmobile owner..... (Mopar Guy... don’t hate me)
so I just took position of my first Oldsmobile.
1970 Cutlass with a 455. My Uncle restored the car and has recently passed it to me.
this may be a really dumb question but I must ask it.....
The car is a Beautifully restored vehicle with a big block 455.... He did an awesome job on the car.
as I checked the oil level, it needed a quart.... there is a tall (what looks like an “Oil filler Tube” at the front of the
block.... and a oil cap one each valve cover..... Dumb question.... is there any reason why I can’t add oil at the valve cover cap locations as on most engines?…………
Thank you for your responses and feel free to laugh if needed...LOL

also, I’m new to this Chat stuff and this sight so if I placed thisb in the wrong spot or shouldn’t have started a new thread I’m still learning
Welcome. The oil filler tube is factory. The valve covers are apparently aftermarket, as no Olds V8 ever had filler caps in the valve covers. There normally are grommets for the PCV valve and breather. The stock valve covers have baffles under those grommets and oil will likely back up if you try to fill there. More to the point, why do you not want to use the original fill tube? It provides a more direct path to the oil pan.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 06:48 PM

Thank you for your help.....
I will use the filler tube now that I’ve gotten a response and know that I can use either location....
just never owned an Oldsmobile and was kinda scratching my *** as to why it was there..... and was thinking that
there must be a reason but couldn’t figure it out since again, never seen an oil filler tube like that until getting this car. I sure
appreciate the response. And yes, after market covers....