New is NOT equal to Perfect

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2014, 08:04 PM

New is NOT equal to Perfect

Not sure this is the right sub-forum to place this but it can be moved if need be.

Those who know me are aware that among my favorite rules learned over years of working on stuff are:

.................................................. ..
Look first at what was last "fixed"

Last Time Seen rule- Last Time Seen, Never? Get it.

New does NOT mean WORKS RIGHT.
.................................................. ...

Time and again this last one is proven. Again today. Working on a 71 Challenger. All new everything. What could go wrong? EVERYTHING.

Harness backup/ neutral safety terminal refuses to fit properly on the NEW switch in the trans.

Ready to set timing for initial start today. Set crankshaft at TDC. Twist the NEW "Flamethrower" distributor back and forth. No spark. WTH?

I get spark when I remove the battery GND cable or re-attach it.
I get spark when I apply grounded test light to harness connector for distributor.
I get spark when I pretend to be the distributor and jumper the harness wires.

Pull distributor to spin it by hand while connected to the car harness. No Joy...

I see my colleague has installed the 40 year old connector on the new distributor. Cut that off to test. Still no joy. Ohm meter shows dist'r wires are always open, the circuit never closes. Remove the LAMEthrower pickup and try a stronger magnet near its sensor. Nope. Never. Summit has a new module/ pickup- the only thing that might be gone bad, really, for a mere $90.

Dig out the old dirty rusty FACTORY distributor. Wire to wire Ohms reads infinite, ~200, etc. Jumper in place to car's harness - MAJOR RELIABLE CONSISTENT SPARK.

Sigh.

This LAMEthrower, mind you, while new and pretty, uses the common GM pre-HEI type cap, which is larger OD than the factory unit, and required THREE HOURS of carefully grinding the new Edelbrock heads to clear the distributor so it would go in and turn to adjust. So, yet another week of getting parts before the engine can fire.
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Phantom Phixer

An old mechanic friend that I worked with years ago told me that, "New does not always mean GOOD."
I think it is especially true today ,when almost everything is made in China.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; December 13th, 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:34 PM
same but different

It has been said before.

" Your are preaching to the choir"

The hard part is getting them to listen.

Shiny new parts all ways look better than dingy ones.

It is still true, "If it works don't fix it."
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

That's why I like used parts lol. My dad always tells me to story of when he put new points on his 64 chevy impala and later that day he had issues can was stalling and running rough. He held on to the old point swapped them out on the side of the road and was on his way. This was back in the late 70's well before my time. Currently I have a used 3310 holley , used 7111 edelbrock intake , hand me down headers , a water pump I got in a parts deal that was used but a really nice one , an alternator from a car I parted out , I use a lot of hand me downs and used parts yet the last 2 issues where due to parts failures on new parts lol.
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:35 AM

New means new nothing more,not good or working.
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:15 AM

66 Cutlass Midnight Rider

Guys:
During the restoration on my 66 Cutlass, if I am changing something to a new part, I NEVER get rid of the old part before I verify the new one fits. Shiny and new look better, but sometimes you just need to use some elbow grease to clean, adjust and paint the old part. If I can buy original Detroit/GM stuff from one of you guys, I will. I may need to media clean it, but at least it came off a GM car. Scrap is something you need just before you throw it away, happens every time. I would rather have pile of parts after the project than dig thru the dumpster looking for something.
Thanks, Ron
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:00 AM

If for some reason I replace a working part, the old one goes on the shelf or in the trunk. As far as the car mentioned in the OP, the Chrysler electronic ignition with the orange module is hard to beat with any aftermarket part for reliability or performance.
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:40 AM
major noob

I'm always for used parts I don't need shiny to make my car run good I need reliability there I never use new parts unless absolutely necessary
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
An old mechanic friend that I worked with years ago told me that, "New does not always mean GOOD."
I think it is especially true today ,when almost everything is made in China.
This seems to be my new mantra. I would rather much restore an old vintage item than install a new one. Even simple new things now days will not work right or for long.

Originally Posted by RonFX
Guys:
During the restoration on my 66 Cutlass, if I am changing something to a new part, I NEVER get rid of the old part before I verify the new one fits.
I seem to never get rid of the old parts, period. I have had to dig out old original parts to find out why a new one will not fit or work.
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:01 AM

Necessity and sufficiency.
Subject and predicate.
Independent and dependent variables.

All great things..
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:04 AM

The 'New Isn't Always Good' statement is especially true with electronics. Such new parts/components can bench test good all day long and still be bad. This, of course, makes 'known to be good' test parts worth their weight in gold.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:09 AM

New very often means low quality totally worthless junk.