It never ends...

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2019, 08:33 AM

It never ends...

Finally have car together and took for a test drive. I’m sure I broke every noise statute in the Colorado Springs metroplex as I only have open headers. Get back home and the water pump gasket let loose.
Looks like there are 2 different gaskets available. Mine had the thinner shape. Will the one with more “meat” fit as well? Description says AC vs non-AC although not sure how that would affect gasket shape. Looking for the best option here.

Old August 9th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Non AC uses standard water pump for cooling. AC uses HD water pump - big difference.
Old August 15th, 2019, 08:41 PM

Replaced water pump gasket and still have the same leak. I took it for a test drive and didn't see any coolant so my guess is the new gasket worked for a bit and gave out again. Leaking in same spot, in between the water pump and the timing cover. It doesn't leak at idle, just under higher RPM. Is there a way for coolant to leak from behind the timing cover? I used a standard paper gasket and the Permatex thermostat/water pump rtv on both sides.
Old August 15th, 2019, 11:32 PM

Timing cover may be severely pitted around water-pump area.
My 2 examples both were. Tho, with RTV it should still seal, but might have problems with paper gasket only.
Old August 16th, 2019, 01:06 AM

I had to replace my timing chain cover to get it to seal. 50 years of wet led to severe pitting on my Starfire timing chain cover.

Modello sold me mine, but perhaps you can find a better source. Some bad experiences there, including me, but not on this particular part.

While you’re in there I can recommend the flowkooler water pump, water wetter, and suggest that this is a good time to look at hoses and the heater core.
Old August 16th, 2019, 07:31 AM

Timing cover looked pretty good and flat. I lighted sanded both surfaces after cleaning off the old gasket and felt pretty good about the repair. I'm seeing some stuff out there about not using a silicone based RTV for this repair. Is there a fool-proof sealant we should be using on this gasket? I'm no pro, but I've probably done about 20 repairs in my life similar to this one and never had a single leak, ever. New Fel-Pro gasket is on order and I'm spending another Saturday getting this sorted out. By my calculations, my car should be dialed in and good to go right after the first snow here in Colorado!
Old August 17th, 2019, 09:44 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Check both for warp. In this application, it could go either way. Right Stuff RTV on both sides(lightly) or spray gasket adhesive on the pump side only and keep the cover side dry. Torque accordingly. Are you sure it's not coming from the through bolts? I always RTV those.
Old August 17th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Going with Blue RTV this time. Probably about the same as the water pump RTV. Will tear down this weekend and report back. Doubt it’s the bolts as the coolant spins out under higher rpm, not drips. Will check for warp a little closer.
Old August 17th, 2019, 09:19 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Spins out or spits out? If its spinning out behind the pully that could be the pump shaft seals. Thou you did say between the timing cover & pump body.
How old is this pump? I'd closely examine the pump housing at the leak spot.

The gasket may have slipped. Too much RTV will cause that. Thin is better than thick. Right Stuff is superior over clear, blue, black, or red. I always put the spray adhesive on the "removable" item and dry or thin RTV on the opposite side. The adhesive keeps the gasket in place. This method makes clean up the next time a breeze. As the gasket goes with the removable part.

Put a pressure test on the system(rent one, cheap) before you tear into it...if its not too late. PSI test will confirm the source.