looking for input...

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM

looking for input...

Hey fellas just looking for some ideas right now,
I have a 69 cutlass convertible, 4 speed, 3.08 posi

now I did get myself a 69 455, it has c heads, but with the smaller valves, I beleive it must have been the 2v motor? when I picked up the motor the heads were off, and looking at the bores there is absolutely no lip etc, and generally everything looks fine.
Now for the ideas, I want to put the 455 in the cutlass, I know i will need the crank drilled for the 4 speed, but as this is going to be purely a street engine, and not even much stop light racing, I was wondering how much compression is good on todays gas? I have power brakes. I am NOT looking for every horsepower out of this thing, but would like some ideas if
1. the bores are as good as they look, and it doesn't need boring, should i just use the stock pistons? with a new set of rings, do the bearings, get a high volume pump etc, what is that 9 to 1 compression? or is it worth the cost to get a complete kit from paw or something? have it bored etc etc what kind of timing chain?

2. I will have a valve job done, is it really worth it to put the 2.07 valves in? or if everything is as good as it looks just have a good valve job done etc etc.

3. Funny enough I would probably go with roller tipped rockers just for the adjustability, which ones are recommended? what cam?

4. I have a stock 4 bbl manifold, and I did get a holley rebuilt quadra jet that was correct for the application/year, should I toss this and get a performer manifold? or something else?

5. what is a good pressure plate/ disc for this set up, I think I put a hayes pressure plate ( stock type) and disc, last time, but that was for a 350?

6. Can I use the 350 flywheel?

7. Do I need to change the motor mount plates on the chasis for the 455? or can I just ues the 350 mounts?

8. I have the 69 442 exhaust manifolds ( I believe they are the w & Z) what size exhaust would be best and any recommendations for a stock sounding rumble ( not really interested in the 3 inch pipes and flomaster sound...been there done that, got the hearing aid...LOL..)

9 any other thoughts..... trying to resurrect my restomod, basically looking for decent performance on today's pump gas, but not looking for a drag car...

thanks in advance fellas...

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; March 31st, 2008 at 11:29 AM.