Interesting Response from Machinist regarding Main Studs.

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM

I agree Mark, I didn't understand the "more room for error" comment either.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
No, I have taken everyone's advice into consideration. I have decided to use the original bolts that came with the engine. The only reason why I wanted to use the studs for my build was because, well, I think studs are a superior fastener. Why do I think this? Because studs allow room for error, which I expained earlier. I appreciated everyones feedback and respect everyones viewpoints. I do plan on upgrading this engine in the future, then I will use the studs when they are neccesary, which they are not at this point in time. Thank you everyone for you inquery and response.
I guess I missed that, I don't understand that statement. As far as my comment, maybe I could have been less emphatic and more tactful. However I still wouldn't let him touch anything of mine.[/QUOTE]

I like studs because I worry that bolts can strip out the block if: a.) I goof up and set the torque wrench to high on accident or b.) the cast iron has naturally fatigued causing the threads to strip. With suds, this is less of a worry for me. Now, I have snapped studs before (motorcycle engine) and it is not a very hard fix. Strip the thread's on the main's with a bolt and.....don't even want to know.

cliff notes- Bolts make me paranoid.

Last edited by VinMichael; April 2nd, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by VinMichael

cliff notes- Bolts make me paranoid.
you are not talking about pulling threads out of aluminum or snapping off a 1/4" valve cover bolt. You are taking about the main bolts. If you think you can mess up that bad honestly I think you need to find someone to assemble your motor that knows what they are doing (not the machinist you used either)