Intake from "The Parts Place"

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2020, 02:42 PM

Intake from "The Parts Place"

My client paid $800 for this intake from "The Parts Place" on Ebay. As you can see, it's been machined by someone using a yard stick. I called "The Parts Place" for my client to explain the problem, and he stated that if my client bought it from their Ebay store, that I'm pretty much screwed and that I should be able to make it work. So now, I'm looking for a 1970 W-30 intake the has the "Oldsmobile" script on it if anybody has one for sale.
Old April 7th, 2020, 03:47 PM

I don't understand the difference they are referring to? Why does it matter which of their vending sources sold it, it is defective. I wouldn't give up on them replacing it, especially at $800.00!! Just keep going up the food chain, and mention that you are a member of CO and will be forced to give them negative feedback.
Old April 7th, 2020, 03:49 PM

Year One looks like they have one. https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964...***-442/6115nr

I've had problems with Parts Place eBay as well. eBay is very pro-buyer so he should be able to get a new one. The eBay folks at Parts Place first sent me something that was damaged and missing parts. They eventually fixed it after I opened a claim. My guess is they sell their returns/exchanges on eBay.
Old April 7th, 2020, 07:03 PM

One of my customers is having the same problem with a "made in China" Pontiac intake that he paid $700 for. It is the second one from the same place. Ports are not even close to lining up etc etc etc. He actually just found an NOS GM one that he is paying dearly for but it is a very nice complete resto so its worth it.
Old April 7th, 2020, 07:11 PM

Open a claim through ebay, and if that doesn't work, go through PayPal if that's the way your client paid. I got a cell phone through ebay and it turns out it was stolen. So I opened a claim through PayPal and got my money back.
Old April 7th, 2020, 07:18 PM

The manifold could be 100% correct and still fit exactly as shown. If the deck and/or heads have been milled this can result in the same issue.
I do doubt that the manifold is 100% correct however this can be fixed by any competent machine shop.
Also if I were the vendor I'd say if you painted it you own it.

If you do buy a NOS W-30 intake please don't paint it gold
Old April 8th, 2020, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by v8al
I do doubt that the manifold is 100% correct however this can be fixed by any competent machine shop.
I hate when guys post that

The only way to "correctly" repair that intake would be to weld up and re-machine the sides. If you simply mill the side rails to the correct angle it will drop the intake down further and cause other problems. You will have to mill the end rails also and by the time you are done the ports probably wont line up either.

So you pay $800 for the intake and then another $4-500 to make it right ?????
Old April 8th, 2020, 05:37 AM

Milling the heads and/or block, and intake surfaces of the heads do not change the 45 and 90 degree angles, only how far the intake drops down in the vertical direction. It appears that the intake manifold surfaces were not milled on the 45 degree from vertical/horizontal directions.
Old April 8th, 2020, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Milling the heads and/or block, and intake surfaces of the heads do not change the 45 and 90 degree angles, only how far the intake drops down in the vertical direction. It appears that the intake manifold surfaces were not milled on the 45 degree from vertical/horizontal directions.
Exactly
Old April 8th, 2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 69Chrgr
Originally Posted by v8al
The manifold could be 100% correct and still fit exactly as shown. If the deck and/or heads have been milled this can result in the same issue. I do doubt that the manifold is 100% correct however this can be fixed by any competent machine shop.
Also if I were the vendor I'd say if you painted it you own it.
If you do buy a NOS W-30 intake please don't paint it gold
99% of all problems can be fixed with a cubic foot of dollar bills. Not only did they machine it at wrong angle, it looks like they removed material, from the look of the THICK gasket material. You might be able to "save" the manifold with welding and re-machining or fabricating spacer plates. At what point does it become a waste of money ?

Old April 8th, 2020, 07:02 PM

I’m not a machinist, but I do know a little about engine machining processes. If the intake isn’t “wide” enough (as indicated by the excessive gap where it meets the heads) then the only fix I see is to either weld and machine the intake to close up the gap. The other option is to mill the heads. In my opinion, neither option is reasonable. Instead or making your engine fit the intake, I think I’d raise hell with whoever it takes to make this right.
Old April 9th, 2020, 04:08 AM

Talked to my friend with the 455 Pontiac and he also got his from The Parts Place His was just flat out made wrong. If you lined up the bolt holes the rear 4 ports lined up perfect but the front 4 were off almost 1/4" No fixing that. I will see if I can get a picture.
Old April 9th, 2020, 06:09 AM

A few more pics for a better perspective.....

Old April 9th, 2020, 08:01 AM

Heres a picture of the one that my friend got for a 455 Pontiac. Notice how well the ports are aligned

Old April 9th, 2020, 08:17 AM

Not trying to instigate supplier bashing--however on ebay I'm blacklist banned from purchasing items from the Parts Place's principal Joparts. Occurred because I returned one inexpensive item that was misrepresented. Seems like he has no tolerance for returns.
Old April 9th, 2020, 08:24 AM

That intake appears to have milled extensively. The mounting surface is very thin.
Old April 9th, 2020, 08:53 AM

I'm surprised they didn't say "we'd have taken it back if it wasn't painted." (:•》They have to know that the intakes are junk. I've bought off them, because I had no choice. The "guy" (can't say what I want to) that answers the phone is a real piece of work. Good luck
Old April 9th, 2020, 07:05 PM

What's bad for THE PART PLACE is this forum is so widely read. Word of mouth spreads faster than any advertisement. They'll be out of business soon if they keep this up. Your intake might almost fit on a small block.