Installing Turkey Tray intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Ben

Installing Turkey Tray intake gasket

Going to be installing the tricarb intake on my friends 66 tonight.
I have never used one of these tin turkey tray intake gaskets before, so pardon the stupud question, but is there anything special i need to know?

I figure i would toss the end gaskets in the trash and just use a big bead of RTV like i do for all intakes... But what about the intake & water ports. Should i smear RTV around all of them on both sides, or use a big bead or ??

Just want to verify that when using this type of intake gasket, this IS the gasket right, i'm not supposed to also have paper gaskets too, ontop of or under the tin one??

Thanks-
Ben
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:24 AM

I figure i would toss the end gaskets in the trash and just use a big bead of RTV like i do for all intakes...

I wouldnt do that..The olds end gaskets are pretty thick and when properly installed you will not have any leakage. Yes, to the rtv around the water ports...no you dont need paper gaskets..
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:04 PM

I agree RTV, around the water ports, but Permatex, around the intake ports. I do both sides of the tray. Also I have quit using the rubber end seal and have went to RTV there also with no problems. Just make sure you set it straight down, no sliding. If the engine is in the car, you need a helper to install it.
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Crazy Canuck

I did my Olds last summer. It was the biggest job I had ever done. I followed the instructions to a T including using the rubber seals. I did it on my own and took my time and everything worked out good. No leaks.

Good luck!
Wayne
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM

i also quit using the end rubber seals. i set the intake in place with nothing there at all to see how thick i need the RTV. i also put the bead on the engine block and just before i set the intake on i put just a little on the intake side. for the ports X2 on the Permatex in the intake ports and RTV for the water ports. i have never had an intake gasket problem or leak.
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:18 AM

Be certain the exhaust cross over ports line up with the openings on the turkey tray. There are two slightly different versions, one side may not line up. Of course if you are blocking the crossovers then it doesn’t matter. Make certain the manifold is perfectly seated and the surfaces are parallel or the beads won’t crush properly when torqued
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

The one secret to the metal gasket is to ensure that the bosses around the four corner bolt holes are properly seated in the heads. This is what locates the gasket. I've seen people get this wrong, the bosses get smashed, and leakage ensues.