ID piston

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2022, 01:19 PM

ID piston

Hey guys,
First post, but I'm a fairly long time lurker. I've got a 67 LeMans that had an Olds 455 in it when I bought it. I've had it roughly 15 years now, but haven't driven it much the last few years. It always had the smallest amount of smoke to it but that became a ton of smoke earlier this summer. I finally decided to try to diagnose and fix it. So a few tests later the #3 cylinder had zero compression, the other 7 ranged from like 170 to 185ish. I pulled the engine and here I am. I took the #3 piston out and it's trashed. Missing about half of the lands for the rings, but surprisingly the cylinder bore is pretty good. It has about a 1" line going down that I believe with hone out no problem. You can see it. But you can't feel it and a finger nail doesn't like snag on it or anything. It lines up with the rough spot in the piston skirt. Regardless, my plan is to fix the piston and hopefully sale it. I've got the short block of a Pontiac I'd rather finish than reinstall the Olds engine. I really don't know anything else about the engine. It's got a Edelbrock intake and some stamped roller lifters. I don't know the cam profile or builder or anything else.

So first, I'd like to ID the pistons so hopefully I can find a replacement. It's .030 over and on the inside of the skirt it has "B514" or possible "8514". I couldn't precisely make out the first letter. I'm pretty sure it's a low comp piston from the shape of the notch and I'm (totally ignorantly) assuming it's an older replacement piston.

Is there any chance someone would know what I'm looking at or even better know where I could reasonably find another one?
Thanks guys, I appreciate any help sent my way.

Old October 31st, 2022, 05:25 PM

The B514 is probably a Badger number. Maybe Ohio. They have both been out of business for quite a while. I'll take a look at the catalog in the morning and see what it is.

Short of finding someone with a single on e-bay you are probably going to have to buy a complete set. Then you run into the issue that most newer pistons are lighter so you will have to rebalance the crankshaft.

And I hate to say it but after doing this for a living for many years I feel pretty good saying that with that much damage to the piston I doubt that the cylinder will just hone. I would either go out to 40 and get a fresh bore with all new pistons or just sell it as a good rebuildable core.
Old November 1st, 2022, 04:02 AM

It is a Badger piston. 9.75 to 1 compression .143" recessed head. Sealed Power 369P and Silvolite 1631 are both the same application. My warehouse shows 44 of the Sealed Power ones in stock so they must have some singles. I can get you a price on one if you are interested.
Old November 1st, 2022, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
It is a Badger piston. 9.75 to 1 compression .143" recessed head. Sealed Power 369P and Silvolite 1631 are both the same application. My warehouse shows 44 of the Sealed Power ones in stock so they must have some singles. I can get you a price on one if you are interested.
Yeah I would appreciate that, if you if you wouldn't mind. I'll see if I can get some decent pictures of the bore for you, but I guess I'm not sure how I'm going to go about things now. If I do decide to sell it as a core, what would be a reasonable ballpark price? I can get the numbers off of it later today. I know I researched it when I first bought the car, but I can't even begin to remember. I think the heads from from another year than the block, but once again I can't swear off the top of my head one way or another.
Old November 1st, 2022, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cvarney
. If I do decide to sell it as a core, what would be a reasonable ballpark price?
I don't have a clue. Probably guys on here that would guess better than me. Also depends on where you are located and what the market is in your area.

For what its worth if one of my friends or customers asks me about buying a used engine I basically tell them that if they cant hear it start and run and preferably drive then not to buy it unless they are looking for a rebuildable core.

Let me know where you are and I will send you a PM with a price on the one piston.
Old November 1st, 2022, 01:47 PM

I don't have a clue. Probably guys on here that would guess better than me. Also depends on where you are located and what the market is in your area.

For what its worth if one of my friends or customers asks me about buying a used engine I basically tell them that if they cant hear it start and run and preferably drive then not to buy it unless they are looking for a rebuildable core.

Let me know where you are and I will send you a PM with a price on the one piston.
25661 would be the shipping zip.

And I agree, i wouldn't buy an engine without seeing it run. My hope was to get it back together and be serviceable to sell.
I'd have to do an internet sale. I'm way to rural in BFE West Virginia lol.
I really do appreciate your advice on this.
Old February 11th, 2023, 12:51 PM

Hey Bill,

Just wanted to check on this again. Would you still shoot me a price in the DM?
Old February 13th, 2023, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cvarney
Hey Bill,

Just wanted to check on this again. Would you still shoot me a price in the DM?
I thought I did but will check again today to make sure they have them and PM you again.