i think i killed her

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2014 | 12:26 PM

i think i killed her

.........finally got her running good after the hard freeze or seemed like running good. was having a small hickup every now and then with alot of water coming out of the pipe so figured that what it was. went for a short ride on base. turned around and on the way back i shifted the tranny all the way down to low. didnt romp on it or anything just drive really slow for a second and then it started spuddering really bad. barely running. so i shifted it back to drive. after about half a mile of that it just died. a little bit of smoke came out of the carb when i pulled the breather cover off. i got a feeling it died. any tests or help will be major. not really sure where to start from here. got a few more days off work so hoping it something that can be fixed but might have just died on me

Last edited by 69 holiday; January 9th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old January 9th, 2014 | 12:36 PM

Or you've still got a lot of ice in the fuel. Check your fuel filter.
Old January 9th, 2014 | 12:40 PM
72 Olds CS

a reply from your other thread....

if you have more than a capful of water in your tank you need to drop the tank and drain the water, gasline antifreeze stabil etc will bind w the water molecules and allow them to be drawn out but w a lot of water you just cant get enough AF in there to get it out.

I bought a f250 15years old 15k miles owner said sometimes it spits at ya I throw a little AF in the tank.... one week of stalling and no starts and me throwing AF in the tank and i dropped the tank and found about a 1/2 gallon of water in there no problems after that !!!!
Old January 9th, 2014 | 12:51 PM

On a brighter note, you've probably steam cleaned your valves and piston heads to a gleaming shine.
Old January 9th, 2014 | 12:54 PM
Administrator

I'd pull the fuel line and pump some fuel into a glass jar and see how much water separates and to the bottom of a glass jar. About 16oz will tell. It would take more than a cap full of water in a full tank of fuel to keep an engine from running.
Old January 9th, 2014 | 01:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Start at the beginning: Check for spark and fuel.

Proceed from there.

If water in the tank froze the line, then the float bowl will be dry.

Is your choke working?

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2014 | 03:40 PM

i got it running after the freeze. it seemed to be doing fine. maybe there is just a huge amount of water in the tank. ill try putting some fuel in a container and see how it comes out. just never seen smoke come out of a carb. it still sounded like it wasnt getting fuel so hopefully that is it. would it not fire at all if there was water in the fuel? ill check spark in the morning maybe something in that chain went out. maybe all the fuel in the bowl ran out and then it sucked pure water? its gets dark here so early so im going to get up bright and early to see whats going on. more to come on this one for sure
Old January 9th, 2014 | 04:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 69 holiday
just never seen smoke come out of a carb.
Any time it just stalls dead, you'll get some vapor out of the carb.

it still sounded like it wasnt getting fuel so hopefully that is it.
I'm not sure that I can identify a specific sound for not getting fuel.

would it not fire at all if there was water in the fuel?
It would not fire at all if there was a thin layer of water completely covering the bottom of the float bowl.

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2014 | 04:25 PM

just never seen smoke come out of a carb.
I have seen this many times before, both from car engines and small industrial engines after they die abnormally.
I would not see it as a complete death sign.
Old January 9th, 2014 | 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Any time it just stalls dead, you'll get some vapor out of the carb.

I'm not sure that I can identify a specific sound for not getting fuel.

It would not fire at all if there was a thin layer of water completely covering the bottom of the float bowl.

- Eric
i just meant it wasnt firing at all but more work in the morning. as long as she isnt dead im a happy camper
Old January 12th, 2014 | 04:09 PM

again the CO saved me. everyone was right once again. showing my newbie colors more and more..... put some good fuel in her and ticking away again. I do have a alternator problem. i dont have a meter but plugged a little light i have to the back of the alternator and the light comes on so it is working, but the power is not getting to the battery to charge it. the wiring leading from the alternator to the battery is a rats nest and will be cleaned up this week just wondering if anyone has had this problem. the positive wire goes into im guessing a regulator that is mounted on the wheel well. the ground is also leading there. then the positive goes to the battery. would it be bad to direct wire the positive to the battery?
Old January 12th, 2014 | 04:29 PM

From: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
OJ is that you..?
Old January 12th, 2014 | 04:34 PM

You can get a digital meter from Harbor Freight for very cheap or even free if you have one of the many coupons available in the various car and truck mags. You really need to put a meter on it to see what is happening. The battery on it's own should read at least
12.5 volts (car not running) and with the car running upwards of 13.5 volts and up. The running should be steady (not pulsating). Once you get those readings then you can start trouble shooting. Good luck.
Old January 12th, 2014 | 06:05 PM

the battery is brand new i just got it. i figured the alternator was just junk but it is pulling some kind of power to turn the little light on. im hoping its just the wiring thats why i figured i would ask here
Old January 12th, 2014 | 06:21 PM
jfb

I have seen regulators go out also cheap and easy to fix plus check the belt it could have slipped. I had the fuel freeze problem myself this week even though I work for a shop gas quality is sh--t and this car sat outside use red iso and 2 bottles to clear it. I had to train it to work this week and my boss is being hard headed about it. the gas also will thaw out when over 32 degrees for a while 2 to 3 days total.
Old January 12th, 2014 | 06:38 PM

is that what the pos is going to is a regulator? i cant remember exactly what it looks like ill look some more tomorrow but i know the ground goes there too. i guess i need a meter to check the regulator too. ill have to pick one up this week. im hoping my water problems are done with. i never thought it would just die the way it did from water and then not even act like it wanted to start again
Old January 12th, 2014 | 07:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The thing on the wheelwell is the horn relay.

The regulator is on the firewall.

You can't tell anything by putting a lightbulb on the back of the alternator - that voltage could just as well be supplied by the battery, no?

i never thought it would just die the way it did from water and then not even act like it wanted to start again
That's because water doesn't burn.

Glad she's running again!

- Eric