Hydro lock! Help!

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2016, 02:37 AM

Hydro lock! Help!

So yesterday after putting new gaskets in Holley and needle and seats in I reinstalled carb. Turned fuel pump on to prime carb and then shut off to check and adjust floats. After primary was adjusted checked secondary floats and was way to high. After getting them set and not thinking twice I went to start it turn over for a second then engine just locked then not thinking twice tried again and it turned over for a second then locked again. I did this three times then finally started. After started ran really really rich and would not idle but no other issues when rpm came up. Anyway I knew something wasn't right with carb. But it was the cranking then engine lock that had me thinking all last night if that was hydro lock from fuel which I would think its a safe bet it was. So now I'm freaked out that I bet my stock rods but not sure if a oe starter could do that. I've never hydro locked anything before and I just didn't think that's what was happening. Should I pull the heads and check deck height or what? Anyone, help, please....
Old April 16th, 2016, 04:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just check your compression.

- Eric
Old April 16th, 2016, 04:45 AM
72Cutlass S

And change your oil.
Old April 16th, 2016, 05:31 AM

I would also think you could have a starter that isn't working good. I will not use stock starters anymore. I use mini starters because they work good.The mini starter ease of installing and removing.
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:23 PM

try turning it over with the carb removed, or at least with the fuel pump turned off, could be something else. what's the tailpipe look like? good luck
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:29 PM

Tail pipes are Black. Pulled the plugs which were just put in and there black. It ran but I absolutely killed the brand new plugs. Yesterday turned the key to see how it would start and it fired rate up with no choke and no pumping of throttle and idled for a few seconds then died but I knew the plugs were fouled and it was only 40 degrees out and just wanted to see what would happen. Anyway got the oil changed today. Going to do a compression test when I get a chance this week, replace the plugs, put a another new needle and seat on secondaries cause for some reason the one on there was extremely sensitive to adjustments. Then go from there.