Fan shroud 66 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2013, 04:42 AM

Fan shroud 66 Cutlass

I have a friend who just went though a nasty divorce, has managed to piece his life back together enough to think about starting to enjoy his car (66 Cutlass again. I helped him build and install a 455, car ran real low 12s last time it was on the track. The problem is, the car tends to warm up a bit at low speeds or sitting in traffic. This is a non a/c car, no fan shroud. Beside the reproduction fan shrouds (which are unfortunately out of his budget now) what have other people in readerland used for a shroud? Anybody know if the 68-72 shrouds will swap in with a little fab work?
Old June 18th, 2013, 03:17 PM

I have a fan shroud off a 67 Cutlass, It should be the same.
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:42 PM

Best advise on these is a fan shroud, a clutch fan not a flex fan, a 195 degree thermostat, Yea I know that does not make sense at first. But, the thermostat holds the coolant in the engine until the temperature reaches the preset temp of the thermostat. So, 195 holds it in the engine the longest. Which also means it stays in the radiator the longest. Giving it the longest chance to keep it cool and be able to maintain it there. There are some other basic cooling issues to check as well; is the rubber shrouding around the radiator to core support in place? This helps keep air flow threw the radiator and not around it. Is the radiator in good shape? is it flowing well? might need to be taken to a shop to be cleaned well. Is the lower radiator deflector in place? Is there anything in the way of the radiator? Like an aftermarket trans cooler. Also is it running lean? how about timing is it set right so it is not retarded causing overheating and if it is too advance it will also cause issues. On the cleanliness of the radiator is it clean flowing for air as well. I have seen them dirty and restricting air flow also.
Something else too, is the exhaust flowing freely? no extra restriction in the pipes or mufflers? If it has headers on it that can cause some heating issues too. Then always make sure it has a good 50/50 mix of coolant and water.

Some of this is basics but, we can all get too close to see things sometimes. Hope this helps.