Exhaust flange gasket won't seal

Old January 8th, 2019, 01:45 PM

Exhaust flange gasket won't seal

Hello folks,

1965 Starfire, factory dual exhaust. Both of the manifold to exhaust pipe flange packings were leaking. I thought it was only the driver side. Replaced that one with a felpro 60241. Sealed just fine. Then heard the puffing on the pass side. Parts lookups appear that both sides are the same so ordered another one. Put it in, still leaks. Loose? Got down there and tightened it as far as it would go. No difference. The flange collar is almost touching the manifold and almost looks like it is bent. I would assume the only way to replace that, they would have to cut the pipe. The car has very nice stainless steel exhaust so hate to have to have them either cut the header pipe or take the exhaust out and take it apart. Not sure what the deal is unless the issue is that the flange collar (the thing the bolts push up against) is bent and just doesn't have enough pressure to seal it. They make a split replacement collar that you bolt together:

Amazon Amazon

Any thoughts? If this worked I could use an angle grinder to cut off the old one. I guess I could just take it to a muffler shop but thought I would take a crack first.

Thanks guys!
John

John
Old January 8th, 2019, 02:02 PM

Personally, I would go to a muffler shop, have them cut the old flange off, and weld a new one on. I just went through this. They did a great job, it seals great.