Ever Heard Of Mr Performance Parts?

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM

Ever Heard Of Mr Performance Parts?

I'm a bit curious about these guys since I've wanted to rebuild my 455 with aluminum heads and intake, but could never afford it since aftermarket heads were hard to find for Oldsmobiles and when you did find them, they were very expensive.

I've been doing a lot of searching on Ebay and found this business that sells Olds cylinder heads. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them and if the heads are worth buying?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/olds-aluminum...#ht_3401wt_952
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:14 AM

Not sure but i believe this are the chinese pro-comp heads,but they are ok for that price.
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:21 AM

Those are the Pro Comp heads. Once Edelbrock released the updated design (part #60519), Pro Comp released their version of the original ebrock head within a few weeks. That's the MO - copy a design no longer used and make it cheap. Their operations are entirely in China, vice the US plant for ebrock if that is a factor for you. They are incredibly cheap - you get a pair for the price of a single real ebrock head! There's lots of discussions on realoldspower.com about them. If you get a good shop to go through them, then it's OK. They probably need a little more work than a better head - double check the deck flatness, double check the valve seats. Don't get the springs from Pro Comp.
The intake is likely a Pro Comp rip-off as well.

In case you haven't seen it, the updated ebrock design has a different combustion chamber. Not much else has changed that I can tell.

As far as aftermarket heads, it's still only the Edelbrocks. There's some progress on really excellent race heads, feel free to follow that activity at ROP.
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
As far as aftermarket heads, it's still only the Edelbrocks. There's some progress on really excellent race heads, feel free to follow that activity at ROP.
Sorry I disagree.
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Bernard Mondello has been pushing these heads too . Been out for some time but no dyno info on them or the new rpm intake . Bernard has done some flow testing them he has it posted on his ebay sales and real olds power.
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Sorry I disagree.
I agree on your disagreement........

Plus there are deals on heads out there.......

I picked up a set of brocks for $1200....with HS rockers.
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Oh-kay.
Disagree that ebrocks are the only choice? OK, fine, this thread is about the pro comp so I'm obviously not ignoring them. I even put some pros/cons there. IMO it may not be worth the money savings.
Disagree that there's good progress on race heads by the guys posting on ROP? OK. I'm not an engine builder, so maybe the Rocket Racing are junk. Maybe the Mondello Tech extreme mods on the ebrocks is junk. I dunno. Seems to me both are interesting at the least, almost certainly promising, and potentially excellent.
Maybe you're saying those other heads are street heads? Maybe, but the standard issues apply (unique intakes, some cases unique exhaust)
Maybe you're pulling for a re-emergence of the bulldogs or the prior custom Mondello head? OK. Go for it.

Jerr: you disagree, then talk about using ebrocks? Okie-dokie.

Way to be helpful there, guys. Sorry I tried to share information I've gleamed from first hand use and too much time wasted on these message boards. Clearly that's nowhere near as good as just "disagree" and talking about getting cheap deals. Maybe that's how you win fights - just oppose but not provide any backup, discussion, or even really what your position is? Yeesh. You should run for public office. You'd fit right in.
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Don't get your panties in a wad. Street was not specified in your statement about the Edelbrocks. They have their place, but it's not on my combo. My Rocket Racing heads work very well, thank you. You seem to be the one with a problem........need info? What do you want to know about the RR heads? I have heard all about the Bulldog/FCR/Wise heads. Still waiting on a build with the Pro Comps on it........I do hope they work.
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:57 AM

I know the bulldog head can bring up some sore sports but i cant help wonder what ever happened to the core box's and why no one has tried to get them up and going again.
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:43 PM

Those are the Pro Comp heads. Once Edelbrock released the updated design (part #60519), Pro Comp released their version of the original ebrock head within a few weeks. That's the MO - copy a design no longer used and make it cheap. Their operations are entirely in China, vice the US plant for ebrock if that is a factor for you. They are incredibly cheap - you get a pair for the price of a single real ebrock head! There's lots of discussions on realoldspower.com about them. If you get a good shop to go through them, then it's OK. They probably need a little more work than a better head - double check the deck flatness, double check the valve seats. Don't get the springs from Pro Comp.
The intake is likely a Pro Comp rip-off as well.

In case you haven't seen it, the updated ebrock design has a different combustion chamber. Not much else has changed that I can tell.

I knew there had to be something to it, for being so cheap. That's why I had asked. I've got a 455 from a 1973 Olds 98 and the heads on those aren't the greatest. I'd like to boost it up a little. And I'd been searching the Edelbrock site for some time. But buying those heads are a little out of my price range.

Oldsmobile aftermarket parts are so much more expensive than small block Chevys and small block Fords.

By the way, the car isn't for drag racing or anything like that. It's just a restore that I'd like to add a little bit of power to it.
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Don't get your panties in a wad. Street was not specified in your statement about the Edelbrocks. They have their place, but it's not on my combo. My Rocket Racing heads work very well, thank you. You seem to be the one with a problem........need info? What do you want to know about the RR heads? I have heard all about the Bulldog/FCR/Wise heads. Still waiting on a build with the Pro Comps on it........I do hope they work.
I'm just saying that if you're gonna post, might as well make it a useful post. "I disagree" doesn't give the OP much information to work with.
Do you have any track times with the RR heads yet?
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM

I'm just saying that if you're gonna post, might as well make it a useful post. "I disagree" doesn't give the OP much information to work with.
Do you have any track times with the RR heads yet?
First of all, I gave you my opinion without writing a book. Yes we have raced them, this will be our 4th season. The motor is a 425 cube small block DX based. It dyno'd with 730 HP and 576 lbs TQ. Track times? Runs 9.90s or 10.0s in the heat. Best ET is a 9.74. The pictures in my sig line are actual pictures of my car launching! Any other questions?
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM

whats the 380 stand for ? I think I have asked this before but I forgot. steve curry has a nice thread on ROP on porting his pro comp heads i will see if I can drag it over.
http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=81254 seems to me a set from Bernard or even rocket racing is selling them with a some work would make them into a nice
alternative to edelbrocks or reworked iron heads . But steve is the first to do any port work or at least show his port work on them that I have seen.

Last edited by firefrost gold; March 4th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM

My last motor was a 380. Left pic is with the 380 in my sig line.