Engine ID

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2020, 07:16 PM

Engine ID

I’m picking up my first 442 tomorrow and was wondering how to tell the HP of the 455 it has.
Sellers said they replaced the original engine 12 years ago with a rebuilt 455.
is there anyway to identify the engine?

thanks

Old July 24th, 2020, 08:48 PM

You'll be able to identify the year of the engine block from the serial number, and cylinder block used from the cast numbers above beside the oil pressure sensor. You might get some idea about whats inside the engine that actually makes the horsepower if : 1. you have the rebuild parts list, 2. Valve size, 3. Pistons used, 4. Camshaft, 5. Carburetor number.
The sellers can tell you anything. Is this coming from a dealer ?
Sounds like you should have done your research before buying it
Old July 24th, 2020, 09:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
You'll be able to identify the year of the engine block from the serial number, and cylinder block used from the cast numbers above beside the oil pressure sensor. You might get some idea about whats inside the engine that actually makes the horsepower if : 1. you have the rebuild parts list, 2. Valve size, 3. Pistons used, 4. Camshaft, 5. Carburetor number.
You could have stopped and left out the denigrating statement. Seriously? He only asked for assistance on determining hp displacement...I don't believe he expected to be brow beaten.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8/#post1266626
Old July 24th, 2020, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the information.
It didn't make a difference if I buy the car or not, I knew that its not a numbers matching car and that it has a 455.

Old July 24th, 2020, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You could have stopped and left out the denigrating statement. Seriously? He only asked for assistance on determining hp displacement...I don't believe he expected to be brow beaten.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8/#post1266626
thanks Vintage Chief, that's ok some people just can't help it.
Old July 25th, 2020, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dweems
I’m picking up my first 442 tomorrow and was wondering how to tell the HP of the 455 it has.
Sellers said they replaced the original engine 12 years ago with a rebuilt 455.
is there anyway to identify the engine? thanks
Originally Posted by Dweems
Thanks for the information.
It didn't make a difference if I buy the car or not, I knew that its not a numbers matching car and that it has a 455.
Your question wasn't about a numbers matching car. Your question was 1. "how to tell the HP of the 455 it has". You also stated the Sellers replaced the original engine with a rebuilt 455. Unless you can answer the 5 points I mentioned. you have no idea what the approximate horsepower is. If it doesn't matter what it is, why ask ? What is it that you really want to know ?
Old July 25th, 2020, 05:20 AM

Your question wasn't about a numbers matching car. Your question was 1. "how to tell the HP of the 455 it has". You also stated the Sellers replaced the original engine with a rebuilt 455. Unless you can answer the 5 points I mentioned. you have no idea what the approximate horsepower is. If it doesn't matter what it is, why ask ? What is it that you really want to know ?
I will see if the original owner has any more information on the rebuilt engine today when I meet them to pick up the car. They have the receipts so maybe that will shed some light as to what went into the engine. Or maybe I can contact the shop that did the work. They said it also got a new carb during this time.
When you said you should have checked before you bought it and after reading the other reply I thought you were saying that in a degrading way, I'm sorry for taking it that way. That's one of the problems with forums, you cannot always come across the way you intend too.
I said it didn't matter because no matter what 455 it had I knew it wasn't original and was going to buy it anyway..
I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and know I know what it will take to find out the info I was searching for.
thanks again

Old July 25th, 2020, 08:04 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Hang in there, Danny. You handled that well. Ralph must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Congrats on the purchase ... would love to see some pictures once you get it home. Welcome to CO!
Old July 28th, 2020, 09:44 AM

Ok we got the car home and here is what I found.
The casting number is 296021 Fa
There is a J on the drivers side cylinder head.
The block is stamped 33M388340 on the driver side.
Carb is an Edelbrock with the numbers 1406 7242 stamped on the lower base plate. Does that tell what model carb it is or the CFM?
I found the paperwork on the engine. It came from Marshall engines in Atlanta shipped to Carquest in Fairhope, AL where Deans automotive received and installed it for the OO.
I'm going to try and call and see if they have any more info on the internal parts used in the build of the engine.
Does any of this shed any light as to the year model and HP of this engine?
Thanks in advance!

Edelbrock with numbers stamped on lower left base. 1406 7242

Casting code 396021Fa

33M3888340 code stamped on drivers side with the letter J on the head

Receipt for engine

Receipt from garage that installed the engine.

Old July 28th, 2020, 10:01 AM

It's a 1973 block and likely 1973 heads (J heads were used on 455 engines from 1973-1976). Since the engine has been rebuilt and you don't have any information on the camshaft, pistons, head work, machining, etc, there is no way to even guess at how much power it makes.
Old July 28th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Fun71
Since the engine has been rebuilt and you don't have any information on the camshaft, pistons, head work, machining, etc, there is no way to even guess at how much power it makes.
Unless you run it on a dyno.