Crossover pipe woes

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2016, 07:52 PM

Crossover pipe woes

Olds 425, bone-stock single exhaust system. Finally got around to investigating an exhaust leak in the engine bay, and as I originally thought it was the point of connection between the passenger's side manifold and the crossover pipe. The manifold is fine but the sealing flange on the pipe is a bit rotted away, and no matter how carefully I bolt the connection together it still leaks from the front side of the connection.

I'd just ask someone here for another crossover pipe but I have bills coming up that I can barely afford, so my budget's restricted to like ten bucks for the time being. Only looking to rig it because I'm not sure how long it'll be until I have enough available money to drop on something this trivial. Can anyone think of any jerry-rig fixes? Doesn't have to be 100% perfect and only has to hold until I can afford a crossover pipe + shipping. Haven't been smelling any fumes inside the car but the noise from the exhaust leak is about the most unpleasant thing about driving the car, so I'd like to mitigate it. Thanks for any suggestions.

I was thinking of hi-temp epoxy or Permatex Copper combined with baling wire tightly wrapped around the connection between the two flanges, but not sure how well that'd hold up in practice. If I'm going to rig it, might as well see what others can come up with before throwing the dice.
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:58 PM

i just researched them for a friend and they where 13 bux at oreileys
Old September 12th, 2016, 04:50 PM

I'm going thru the exact same issue, except mine was leaking from both manifolds to the crossover and i'm still not sure why, flanges dont' aren't pitted or rotted but may be out of round..and you're right, very unpleasant to here that leaking right where you're seated. I tried rebolting and added some hi temp exhaust sealant and tape but it didn't work, very hard to get all around the pipe good. I ordered a new crossover pipe from e-bay for 38 bucks..
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:11 AM

Decided to just live with it for now... Slightly pinched crossover pipe doesn't seem to be restricting the engine while trouncing it, probably due to the big ol' exhaust crossover in the intake that any excess gas pressure can bypass through. Thanks for the input though, guys. Looks like I'll just fix it the right way, when I have the money for a pipe + shipping... Or can plan a trip up the highway to Desert Valley Auto.

And welcome aboard, Aqua Always nice to see other Delta Custom owners join up. I see you've started some threads concerning your own car, I'll go over and lend what help I can, if applicable.
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Aqua67
Wasn't sure initially if i wanted to go the dually route, even went as far as ordering a new crossover pipe because i couldn't find the dual repro.. Now i'm jealous
Ok..so I'm really disgusted with this whole exhaust gong show but i'll try and keep this clean. After finally recieving the crossover pipe that i got from ebay, it doesn't fit. I've been dealing with this for 6 weeks, had the original pipe on and off 4 different times, tried exhaust sealer, tape and it still leaks.

Here is how badly the new crossover DIDNT fit on passenger side after aligning it on drivers side. what the hell
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:04 PM

Bring it to a muffler shop and let them deal with it.
Old September 18th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Or... if you have a torch, you can heat the pipe and bend it over.
Old September 19th, 2016, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Bring it to a muffler shop and let them deal with it.
i agree,a muffler shop should be able to fit that pipe.the upward bend must be too much causing the pipe to be short. i have a good used driver's side dual exhaust manifold if interested.jc
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

From the looks of the pitting on the manifold taper seal, THAT'S your problem. No amount of screwing with the pipe will fix that.
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
From the looks of the pitting on the manifold taper seal, THAT'S your problem. No amount of screwing with the pipe will fix that.
pitting probably doesn't help but that's not the side that had the exhaust leak, it was the drivers side.
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aqua67
pitting probably doesn't help but that's not the side that had the exhaust leak, it was the drivers side.
And what does that flange look like?
Old September 21st, 2016, 04:44 PM

I put one on my Vista Cruiser and it didn't fit either. (about like your picture) I had to heat it up and bend it some but has been good since.