Correct exhaust manifold gaskets for W Z manifolds

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:24 PM

Correct exhaust manifold gaskets for W Z manifolds

Does anyone know the correct exhaust manifold Gasket for the W Z manifolds. I have a set of Felpro MS90078. But the ports look short on those gaskets. Plus that gasket has no center divider in the middle. I put a set of new repo W Z manifolds on the car without gaskets and they leak like crazy. I tried to retorque the bolts but they still leak. If anyone could tell me a good gasket to use I would appriciate it. Thanks
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:41 PM

I believe the w/z manifolds were originally suppose to be used without gaskets I am not 100% sure , the center divider is recessed on a 455 so that is probably why there is no center portion of the gasket, some head mods include filling this divider and machining , not sure if that is still in 'vogue, I will be following this thread as I am also using w/zs and have not installed them yet I was planning on finding a copper set but will see what more knowledgeable folks have to say . Sorry I couldn't be any help
Old September 1st, 2012, 03:10 AM

if the heads are flat and all the old gasket material scraped of real good (that is if someone added gaskets on it before) they should seal up good without gaskets. if you use gaskets, any BBO exhaust manifold gasket will work. you won't need the center divider for the center ports. like Eddie said, the heads are not flat at the center divider anyway.
Old September 1st, 2012, 05:59 AM

OK Thanks. Yes I noticed the center divider is recessed in the head. There were gaskets on there before. I thought I removed all the old gasket and cleaned them up real good. These are repo W Z manifolds. I never actually checked to see if they were straight. I just thought since they were new they would be.