Core Support 1969 442

Old October 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Core Support 1969 442

Are there any rubber seals on the bottom of the core support under the radiator other than the "saddles"?
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM

I believe it's just the saddles on the top and bottom. The sides have rubber that is push fastened into it. The rubber on the sides is the same rubber as the hood cowl seal.
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM

That's what I figured, Thanks!
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM

There may have been a long strip of flattened out tubular foam rubber under the bottom rail of the radiator. This strip was placed so it ran between the two radiator saddles. The same thing was used on the top across the core and was sandwiched in below the underside of the radiator top plate.

'70-72 cars used these 2 long strips and my bet is the earlier cars had them as well. You'd have to check in an Assembly Manual to see.

There's a hole in the center of your radiator top plate...if it hasn't been removed you can see the foam piece through that hole (it fills up the hole or blocks it)....if it's missing you can pull your top plate and look for evidence of one having been there...maybe glue or a "pattern" in the paint on the top plate underside where this foam rubber piece was held in place.

If there was one on top then there was likely one along the bottom as well.
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
There may have been a long strip of flattened out tubular foam rubber under the bottom rail of the radiator. This strip was placed so it ran between the two radiator saddles. The same thing was used on the top across the core and was sandwiched in below the underside of the radiator top plate.

'70-72 cars used these 2 long strips and my bet is the earlier cars had them as well. You'd have to check in an Assembly Manual to see.

There's a hole in the center of your radiator top plate...if it hasn't been removed you can see the foam piece through that hole (it fills up the hole or blocks it)....if it's missing you can pull your top plate and look for evidence of one having been there...maybe glue or a "pattern" in the paint on the top plate underside where this foam rubber piece was held in place.

If there was one on top then there was likely one along the bottom as well.
I stand corrected...I just checked my assembly manual to be sure. The side seals are listed as "401665 - Seal" and are fastened with clip 9792217. The top and bottom seals are listed as "411382 - Seal" and are cemented to the top and bottom of the radiator. They are not the same as the side seals and are much smaller. I don't really know why they are there as they do not appear to contact the support or top plate.

So to be correct, they are there...do you need them? No. Depends on what type of "resto" you are doing. To be factory correct then you need them. - Sorry for the bad advice. I have changed my radiator which is why mine no longer has them.
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting an Alumitech radiator so I figured I would restore/replace all the components while I'm in there.
I didn't have those in there, gone long ago I'm sure.
Thanks again.