changing intake manifold and carb on 65 olds dynamic 88 425 cid

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
oldsmobile newbie

Smile changing intake manifold and carb on 65 olds dynamic 88 425 cid

hi everybody , i just bought a 1965 dynamic 88 convertible with the 425 engine , it came with the stock engine (51742 miles) and i have decided to upgrade the intake manifold and carbs.. i believe the engine is strong enough and in good shape enough to run well enough .
i would love any good information and tips regarding this project since it will be my first engine project i will do myself.
and since i like things done rights i woant to hear from experienced oldsmobile enthousiast ..
thank you for any comment,help, info or tips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldsmobile.jpg (86.0 KB, 128 views)
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 65topless
Pretty car. The question is, what do you have now and what do you want to swap onto it? I'll assume you have a 2bbl, otherwise you wouldn't need to swap. Any big block Olds intake will fit your 425. If you don't care about original equipment correctness, the cheapest thing to do is find a cast iron 4bbl intake and Qjet. Olds used a divorced choke (coil mounted in the intake) through 1969 and an integral choke (round black plastic coil) for 1970-up. Either will work, but the later parts are more common. You can also get an electric choke coil that works better than the air-heated one. All factory intakes flow about the same, but I'd avoid the 73-76 intakes with EGR. The Toro intakes have a depressed carb for hood clearance that may impact flow a little.

If you want to go aftermarket, I'd stay with a two plane, either a new Performer or the old O4B. Note the O4B won't clear an HEI if you plan to use one.

I've used the original style turkey tray intake gasket on both cast iron and aluminum intakes. Some people swear it shouldn't be used on aluminum but I've never had a problem (plus the factory used it on the aluminum W-30 intakes). I always use a new one and run a bead of silicone around each of the four water ports on both sides of the gasket. I throw away the rubber end gaskets because they always work their way out. Just build up a wall of silicone on either end of the block and let it skin over before installing the intake.

Note that the cast iron Olds intake is heavy, so be prepared.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM

Thumbs up

hi everybody , i just bought a 1965 dynamic 88 convertible with the 425 engine , it came with the stock engine (51742 miles) and i have decided to upgrade the intake manifold and carbs.. i believe the engine is strong enough and in good shape enough to run well enough .
i would love any good information and tips regarding this project since it will be my first engine project i will do myself.
and since i like things done rights i woant to hear from experienced oldsmobile enthousiast ..
well replacing the intake and carb isnt very hard. Just a few bolts, and a little brute strength to pull that cast iron stock intake out. its pretty awesome once you get it loose, its like when you were a kid and you finally got that loose tooth out. I would talk to someone at Advanced Auto Parts, or some type of parts store about which Carb and intake would be choice. I just bought a Edelbrock performer intake and a performer 600 CFM Carb (not the performer RPM). I have a 455, and that should do well for my car to be a quick little street car. A 600 CFM carb on a 425 should give you a nice power upgrade, but you might want to consider if your block components will be able to handle something like that, if they are just stock. Your best bet is to talk to someone at an autoparts store, they have what fits on your car specifically in there computers. Just dont be scared... I mean **** its your car! Good luck brother! Sweet ride BTW!! REMEMBER TO PB BLAST ALL YOUR BOLTS AND LET THEM SIT OVER NIGHT so you dont torque to hard on a bolt and have it get mangled. then your in a world of ****! Hit me up on IM if you wish, I am doing the same thing right now while I change out my Head gaskets.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Ryhelio
I would talk to someone at Advanced Auto Parts, or some type of parts store about which Carb and intake would be choice.... Your best bet is to talk to someone at an autoparts store, they have what fits on your car specifically in there computers.
That probably wouldn't be my first choice for advice on performance equipment. The pimple-faced kids behind the counter at my local Advanced have enough trouble finding stock replacement parts for my 1999 Chevy pickup.

Yes, now that you ask, people DO use the word "curmudgeon" around me...
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM

most of the guys that I talked to at the auto parts store are old car guys. Most of them are retired military out here. Kentucky and Tennessee don't have emissions laws, so guys out here have 11 second daily drivers. Its not too hard for them to punch in your make, model, year into their computer and find out which parts fit your car. Even pimply faced teenagers can do that! I havent found very many good resources on the web that can match the databases that these auto parts stores have. but it sucks when you deal with anybody who doesnt take their job seriously, and whose to say that you are paying for competence? But thats a whole other forum, right? But hey what do I know, Im not the one with six or seven cars posted in my signature block, and not one single pic showing any of them off.

PS QUADRAJET makes garbage. If you want an easy bolt on and go, garbage carb, buy a quadrajunk. If you want something a bit more advanced to tune and tinker with get a holley double pumper, if you want something in the middle, as in bolt on and go but still great to adjust, get an Edelbrock. Again just a guy with ONE Olds (see pic)...
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Past Administrator

Just cause a guy posts a list of cars and doesn't picture all of them doesn't mean he is a trash talker that doesn't know anything. He has his opinions just like the rest of us.
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM

........ most of the guys that I talked to at the auto parts store are old car guys ........
Increased chronological age and experience do not insure knowledge on a given subject. They only increase the odds of it having been acquired.

My guess is, that you are talking about a Mom & Pop operation. I have no doubt, that joe_padavano was referring to the “chain stores” that compensate for their lack of service, with low pricing.

........ guys out here have 11 second daily drivers ........
I have two of them. Using the same logic, I should know twice as much as they do.

........ Its not too hard for them to punch in your make, model, year into their computer and find out which parts fit your car. Even pimply faced teenagers can do that. ........
I take it, you are unaware that, the data in those computers is often outdated, inaccurate, and/or incomplete.

........ But hey what do I know, Im not the one with six or seven cars posted in my signature block, and not one single pic showing any of them ........
You might be interested in knowing that joe_padavano is a nationally recognized authority, who is often quoted in Oldsmobile discussions.

I've learned a lot from from him. You can too, if you make a small change in your attitude.

I have 7 cars, but I have not even listed them. Using the above logic, I have no business posting here.

........ QUADRAJET makes garbage ........
There is, at least, one mid 9 second Oldsmobile that uses an unmodified Q-jet in NHRA Superstock Competition.

Norm
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Increased chronological age and experience do not insure knowledge on a given subject. They only increase the odds of it having been acquired.

My guess is, that you are talking about a Mom & Pop operation. I have no doubt, that joe_padavano was referring to the “chain stores” that compensate for their lack of service, with low pricing.

I have two of them. Using the same logic, I should know twice as much as they do.

I take it, you are unaware that, the data in those computers is often outdated, inaccurate, and/or incomplete.

You might be interested in knowing that joe_padavano is a nationally recognized authority, who is often quoted in Oldsmobile discussions.

I've learned a lot from from him. You can too, if you make a small change in your attitude.

I have 7 cars, but I have not even listed them. Using the above logic, I have no business posting here.

There is, at least, one mid 9 second Oldsmobile that uses an unmodified Q-jet in NHRA Superstock Competition.

Norm
Hey thats great Norm, and I dont doubt anyone or what they are all about. But for all you know I could be Dick Miller! However if you were to scroll up a little further into the forum you would read shotgun blast from Joe. All I was trying to do was offer MY advice to someone who is changing a intake manifold and Carb. Im sure joe knows probably more than a thing or two about a thing or two. Its all good though, you gotta be thick skinned brotha! The fact of the matter is these chain stores spend alot of money in there marketing research and their database management. They are at the top of the billion dollar autoparts industry. If you were made to feel you werent special because some jerk off, import driving kid didnt give a **** about your project, doesnt mean that the resource isnt viable. I apologize if my attitude isnt humble. I have been a grown man for quite a while now. I am a father, husband and a Combat Veteran. I am 23 years old and I own my own home. Its not even about a parts store or how they do business, its a respect and tact thing (something every person is entitled to). I just wouldnt go about it that way, and maybe I just need thicker skin myself. If Joe makes himself feel better by picking apart someones post thats his business, Im over it. As far as the whole pic posting thing, that was all in fun and me just giving Joe a little ****; However this is a forum about Oldsmobiles right? I just think it would be awesome to see one of his cars, or maybe both of your 11 second cars. As far as what you own and your qualifications of posting on here is up to you, all I was getting at was that most people who build eleven second daily drivers usually know a few things. Where ever you got your math dialed into that is beyond me, I said nothing about what you know. I am sure that Qjet makes some very nice custom carbs, I doubt any of them are commercial off the shelf items. I would be interested in seeing that mid nine second car you were talking about, Im sure my mouth will be full of foot once you post it. I was reffering to Advanced Auto Parts actually. not a mom and pop outfit. I asked them about the system they have and they told me that its updated weekly, they are a pretty high volume store though. I have never had any problems getting parts from them. And thats just my opinion!
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:38 AM
oldsmobile newbie

Red face more questions..

first let me thank you all for your imput and inside knowledge and also for some very interesting reading...
i have tried to pick an intake manifold on ebay but i just realized that i might be doing things the wrong way ... i maybe should mention that i own a holley carb P-80 # 80508-1 / 1660 . i got it from a friend that needed money about 5 years ago and it had been sitting in a box since.. and since i never got the money back i guess i have decided to use it on the oldsmobile ..
now i suppose that this carburator will work for the olds 425 and maybe i should ask you gentlemen what would be your first choice of intake manifold.. I AM NOT TRYING TO BUILD A RACE CAR but i am trying to get the 425 a good fun strong potential on the street so IT CAN BE A GOOD MUSCLE CAR AS IT WAS DESIGNED.
i would of course get the carburator cleaned up and ready with a holley rebuild kit.
so please feel free to send me your comments, thoughts, and advices while remembering that i am a very green rookie muscle car owner and that i was born in europe so i doesn't know the muscle car language . so please write your post in rookie friendly terms .. i appreciate all of your help .. thank you
denis
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

...However if you were to scroll up a little further into the forum you would read shotgun blast from Joe.
Is this the "shotgun blast":

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That probably wouldn't be my first choice for advice on performance equipment.
Wow. That one left quite a crater...

Hey, if the Advanced Auto Parts chain has competent workers in your area, great. My personal experience here in Northern VA is different. I personally would not recommend them as a source of performance advice for a newbie on an engine that's been out of production for 30 years, which is what I said previously.

The fact of the matter is these chain stores spend alot of money in there marketing research and their database management.
GM spent a lot of money in THEIR marketing research on the Pontiac Aztek. What's your point?

If Joe makes himself feel better by picking apart someones post thats his business, Im over it.
One sentence about a bad experience at a discount auto parts chain is "picking apart"?

...you gotta be thick skinned brotha!
I think the term you're looking for is "irony".

By the way, you ought to look up the term "curmudgeon", since I was applying it to myself. That's called self-depreciating humor.
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Past Administrator

Denis, as far as I can remember most all Holley carbs are squarbore which means that both the secondary (two back holes) and primary (two front holes) are the same diameter. There may be some monster sized carbs that Holley makes that aren't but generally speaking.... Therefore, you need to buy a manifold that not only fits your engine but fits the carburetor and has a corresponding squarbore pattern. You should be able to find a nice performer manifold from Edelbrock that would work fine or perhaps an older model like an O4B like Joe mentioned. I would recommend that you avoid the Holley Dominator, the Edelbrock Torker, or the like. Those manifolds are single plane design and will not be as street freindly, they are intended for a higher rpm range and may not allow your engine to develop a good vacuum signal off idle for all the amenitys needed like power brakes. You can find carbs on Ebay just watch out for cracks, corroded areas around the front and rear water ports, and galled holes on the carb mounting surface that might have stripped threads. Usually sellers will address these items but sometimes with a caveat that it is "easily repaired". A condition like that may not be. Anyway, good luck in your search.
Dan
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Denis, as far as I can remember most all Holley carbs are squarbore which means that both the secondary (two back holes) and primary (two front holes) are the same diameter.
Actually, Holley did make a spreadbore carb in 650-800 CFM that was available in both single pumper/vac secondaries and double pumper/mech secondaries versions. See attached photos.

You should be able to find a nice performer manifold from Edelbrock that would work fine or perhaps an older model like an O4B like Joe mentioned.
Be aware that the O4B was made in both square bore and spread bore versions. It also won't clear an HEI.
Attached Images
Holley Spreadbore 1.jpg (6.5 KB, 166 views)
Holley Spreadbore 2.jpg (9.4 KB, 158 views)
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, I thought there were some, but sure don't see them much.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Not wanting to stray off topic but I must for a minute, The chain parts stores here in NJ that I visit rely strictly on the computer....If the computer doesnt list it it wont fit as far as the counter guy is concerned. Here they are all know nothing robots that only know what the computer tells them. Some dont even go back to 1966. I recently went to get an air filter for my 66 Starfire. The computer had a listing and it was wrong. I then asked for an 88 filter with 4bbl. That was wrong too. The 66 98 listed the correct filter however that one could not be had because the warehouse doesnt stock it. I feel sorry for the newb's who dont have some smarts in the interchange ability with Olds stuff. I also needed a turbo 400 gasket and filter. Computer didnt go back to 1966. I said how about 1969?....Oh yeah that year was in the book so I was in business....the counter guy didnt have a clue.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
oldsmobile newbie

Exclamation let's focus on the questions PLEASE

gentlemen gentlemen please if i wanted to here people arguing i would have went visiting my wife's family ...

now i know my questions are very simple for you , but they are primordial for me so please let's keep the subject about intake swapping and upgrading ..

NOT ABOUT SARCASTIC COMMENTS ON WHO LIKES WHAT ALONG , REPLIES AND POINT OF VIEWS ...

so please let's all get along on my threads and pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help me with any technical knowledges and experience you have to teach me a thing or two on oldsmobile and not on arguing ( i have my lovely wife for that )

on a brighter note i really apreciate the technical help, ideas and opinion you guys have to share

thank you

P.S i just realise that after i posted this i received some very valuable info so i felt bad about being a little grumpy .. once again thank you guys
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM

gentlemen gentlemen please if i wanted to here people arguing i would have went visiting my wife's family ...

now i know my questions are very simple for you , but they are primordial for me so please let's keep the subject about intake swapping and upgrading ..

NOT ABOUT SARCASTIC COMMENTS ON WHO LIKES WHAT ALONG , REPLIES AND POINT OF VIEWS ...

so please let's all get along on my threads and pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help me with any technical knowledges and experience you have to teach me a thing or two on oldsmobile and not on arguing ( i have my lovely wife for that )

on a brighter note i really apreciate the technical help, ideas and opinion you guys have to share

thank you

P.S i just realise that after i posted this i received some very valuable info so i felt bad about being a little grumpy .. once again thank you guys
Hey its nothin but love on this end!
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
65 post sport coupe w/425

WOW...... I logged on, found a great question, some advice then down hill from there. Well I only have one thing to say then I'll give my advice on the question from 65topless.

The three senior guys above (Joe, Oldsguy, Super 88) have a tremendous knowledge of Oldsmobiles and have personnally helped me in indescribable fashion (also my Medford friend). I've read 40-50% of the posts on this site in all catagories and the knowledge base here is close to unparalled. I know Ryhelio was only helping but certainly misinterpreted Joes e-mail and that in a nut shell is the problem. E-mail is too easy to read into and in my humble opinion, a major problem in business AND pleasure.

As for 65topless, here's what I did with my 425 from a 67 dynamic (Not done yet)........ I went with the Olds Performer by Edlebrock matched up with an Edelbrock 750 CFM carb. Keep in mind though, I beefed up the bottom end with moly straps on the main caps, new high comp pistons, rings, better cam, timing chain, beefed up the valve train, etc.... When I started I was after a solid to top end street car..... what I have is a tire eating monster (which is good)! I'm just now getting the car dialed in and to the point where I can take it for test drives so still have some work to do but yesterday, I stopped and floored it for the first time and had to let off the gas because the tires were still smoking (about 50-60 yards)..... that's good and bad. Good because I have ample power to the wheels, bad because it's not controlled yet (probably need posi in the rear) and any fool in a Hyundai (OK overstated a bit) will eat my lunch as I sit there and smoke up the place. My personal opinion is that the simple change to the bigger intake and a bigger carb (600 - 750) will significantly improve what you already have. If there was one other thing I'd do without a lot of money it's headers and higher flow exhaust. I used hooker headers combined with the 2 1/2" header back kit from Jegs. If there's one thing I learned, Olds engines need to breath.... the more you can help the intake AND exhaust..... the more you'll get.

Keep in mind, my 425 was my first project so listen to the experts and browse the site. There is good information here.

By the way, couple tricks I learned by reading Mondellos books..... get some Gaskanich glue, apply glue to the intake and top of the gasket, let it tack up then glue it to the intake, then glue the head and the bottom of the gasket, use high temp RTV around all of the water jackets and DO NOT use the rubber gaskets on the ends. Build them up with some good RTV. The seal you get is tremendous if you take your time and do it this way. Otherwise, better chance you'll have leaks and it's a bitch getting the gaskets on right.

In any event, goodluck and welcome! If you have any questions I can give you a blow by blow on what I did and some helpful do's and dont's (learned the hard way). That 425 is arguably as good as most 455"s (my opinion only) as there really isn't a tremendous amount of differance and they have forged steel cranks which seem to hold up better to higher RPM applications but a little less tourque then the 455.

Any event, my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsproject
E-mail is too easy to read into and in my humble opinion, a major problem in business AND pleasure.
Amen and thanks for bringing us back to Earth.

Just to add to your very thorough post, be aware of the differences in carb choke mechanisms. If you use an aftermarket carb it will almost certainly have an electric choke. If you go this way, you'll need to install an additional oil pressure switch so that the choke only gets power if the engine is running. If you don't do this, turning the key on but not starting the car will cause the choke to heat up and open, causing a hard starting situation when you do try to start the car.

If your car only has an oil light, replace the sending unit with this one:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=417&PTSet=A

This sender was used on the Vega which had an electric fuel pump. The center terminal on the sender connects to your idiot light wire. The other two terminals are an on/off switch for the fuel pump, or in your case the electric choke.

If you're running an oil pressure gauge, you'll need to install a tee fitting, screw the gauge sender into one leg and this sender into the other. Use just the two outboard terminals in that case.
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM

........ But for all you know I could be Dick Miller ........
I know Dick Miller. I've learned a little from him also. Your posts are nothing like his, starting with his screen name, "DICK MILLER".

Not possible for anyone to confuse you with Dick Miller.

........ All I was trying to do was offer MY advice to someone who is changing a intake manifold and Carb ........
It would have been a good post, if you had stuck to what you actually know.

........ you gotta be thick skinned brotha ........
Thickness of ones skin has no relationship to the facts/opinions presented in another's post.

........ I apologize if my attitude isnt humble ........
No one said anything about "humble". The above questions/comments have only addressed the validity the information you posted.

A "confident" attitude is normally a good thing, but one always has to expect a small number of readers to read something negative into it.

Most readers do not read attitude, emotion, or intent, into a post, they just read what is actually written, and learn what they can from it.

My "attitude comment" referred to finding out the depth and temperature of the pool, before diving in head first. Next step would be to post only what you know about, and question anything you don't understand.

........ I have been a grown man for quite a while now. I am a father, husband and a Combat Veteran. I am 23 years old and I own my own home .........
First: Thank you for your service.

Second: This information belongs in the "Introductions" thread.

........ that was all in fun and me just giving Joe a little s**t ........
Not what I read.

FWIW, Your language is not the kind that is normally used on a family site.

........ or maybe both of your 11 second cars .........
You won't see them in this thread.

........ I would be interested in seeing that mid nine second car you were talking about, Im sure my mouth will be full of foot once you post it.
If you cannot find it here, You can see them at any NHRA national meet.

Spreadbore Holley was sold as a "bolt on" replacement carb, for those who did not understand the Q-jet.

........ after i posted this i received some very valuable info so ........
That you found it in those, less than relevant, posts tells me you will be learning much faster than most new guys.

Norm
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Excellent info. You are right on the beam..... I left my key on one time (engine not running) and noticed the choke was hot as heck. Sure enough that's exactly what happened but haven't fixed it yet.

Do you have any pictures of the "T" set up? I think I follow but to me pix say a thousand words...... Also, I did change to temp gauge but don't have my high temp issues under complete control yet but pretty sure the new radiator will do the trick (3 core) as I'm running about 220 degrees with the old one. Also, looks like the old one was not original as it quite a bit smaller than the opening and top bracket so new 3 core radiator combined with the right size should get me down (I hope).
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Do you have any pictures of the "T" set up? I think I follow but to me pix say a thousand words......
I don't have a picture handy, but I use about a 2" long nipple (I think the thread is 1/8 NPT) screwed into the oil pressure hole in the block. One end of the tee fitting screws onto the nipple. The gauge sender screws into the other leg of the tee (which should be pointing straight up). The on/off switch screws into the center port of the tee.

When I install aftermarket gauges, I like to keep the idiot light as a backup.
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM

I know Dick Miller. I've learned a little from him also. Your posts are nothing like his, starting with his screen name, "DICK MILLER".

Not possible for anyone to confuse you with Dick Miller.

It would have been a good post, if you had stuck to what you actually know.

Thickness of ones skin has no relationship to the facts/opinions presented in another's post.

No one said anything about "humble". The above questions/comments have only addressed the validity the information you posted.

A "confident" attitude is normally a good thing, but one always has to expect a small number of readers to read something negative into it.

Most readers do not read attitude, emotion, or intent, into a post, they just read what is actually written, and learn what they can from it.

My "attitude comment" referred to finding out the depth and temperature of the pool, before diving in head first. Next step would be to post only what you know about, and question anything you don't understand.

First: Thank you for your service.

Second: This information belongs in the "Introductions" thread.

Not what I read.

FWIW, Your language is not the kind that is normally used on a family site.

You won't see them in this thread.

If you cannot find it here, You can see them at any NHRA national meet.

Spreadbore Holley was sold as a "bolt on" replacement carb, for those who did not understand the Q-jet.

That you found it in those, less than relevant, posts tells me you will be learning much faster than most new guys.

Norm
You are absolutely right. I would like to take the opportunity to sincerely apologize to Joe and yourself for my immaturity and my language. I guess maybe I misconstrued Joes (lol Carmudgeon... got it!) comment for criticism, which I might have a problem taking from time to time unless being paid to do so . I need to be more respectful when stepping into someone else's proverbial "house", which after reading a few of these threads it is most certain you guys live here. But back to earth as Joe stated, would you think that 600 CFM performer is not very much for the 425? Or would I be right with the logic that I went with. I was pretty sure that it would be pretty much right on for my 455 which is obviously a little bit bigger. I couldn't find the CFM's on my old Qjet that I had on there originally, to guage the difference on the Performer I bought.
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Past Administrator

I think the 600 cfm carburetor might be too small for the 425 and the 455. Most Qjets could flow to about 800 cfm although GM used them on so many different engines. Using the 600 cfm wouldn't hurt but I think the 425 could handle more.
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I think the 600 cfm carburetor might be too small for the 425 and the 455. Most Qjets could flow to about 800 cfm although GM used them on so many different engines. Using the 600 cfm wouldn't hurt but I think the 425 could handle more.
Again, it depends on what you plan to do with the car. This particular thread started out with a 65 D88 convert. That's never going to be a drag car. The 600 CFM Edelbrock/Carter will provide good gas mileage and acceptable power (especially if the 425 is a 2bbl right now). Personally I'd go with a Qjet, but the old AFB is a good second choice. Most Qjets were rated at 750 CFM (yes, some were 800) but the spring-loaded air valve over the secondaries will restrict that to only what the engine needs. Under normal street driving, a 425 with stock exhaust manifolds will be hard pressed to flow 600 CFM at 5000 RPM - and how often do you run around on the street at WOT?
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:03 AM

........ then down hill from there .........
Many times, there is useful information in such exchanges. You just have to look harder for it.

........ Super 88 ........
Make that “88 Coupe”. Contrary to what one might read on the internet, the Super 88 did not exist before '51.

........ have a tremendous knowledge of Oldsmobiles ........
In my case, it only seems that way. My useful knowledge is actually limited to a few areas. I post only in those areas, because I hate being wrong. The unintended consequence is reflected in the above perception.

Actually, from reading all the Olds forums, I've been learning about the many things I've done wrong.

........ I beefed up the bottom end with moly straps on the main caps ........
Why?

........ simple change to the bigger intake and a bigger carb (600 - 750) will significantly improve what you already have........
Only in the higher RPM.

........ headers and higher flow exhaust ........
More exhaust flow is a given. Headers would depend on the application. How much time is he going to be spending above 3000 RPM?

........ Olds engines need to breath.... the more you can help the intake AND exhaust ..... the more you'll get ........
Same as any other GM, Ford, or Chrysler. The internals don't know what name is on the valve covers.

........ By the way, couple tricks I learned by reading Mondellos books ........
There is some good information in the stuff he wrote. But, because it targeted a specific audience, much of it is not useful for anything, except selling his products. Catch 22 applies.

........ 425 is arguably as good as most 455 ........
Not much to argue about. The choice would depend on the combination, its intended use, and which one could be spec'd to do the best job.

........ they have forged steel cranks which seem to hold up better to higher RPM applications ........
At all but the highest power levels, forged steel holds no advantage over cast iron. Steel is at a slight disadvantage, as it is heavier.

At the power level where a forged crank would actually make a difference, the logical choice would be a new aftermarket (billet) version, rather than a 40 year old crankshaft with an unknown history.

........ I would like to take the opportunity to sincerely apologize ........
The apology is appreciated by all. But more important, is, what we have all learned from the experience.

Welcome to CO. You will fit in just fine.

........ would you think that 600 CFM performer is not very much for the 425? ........
A general answer, would include a reference to the 750 CFM Q-jet that was used by the factory.

A definitive answer would depend on the application and its intended use.

FWIW: Q-jet was designed as a "one size fits all" and it does it very well. Same carb used on the 455 in the 12 second 442 W-30, was used on the lowly 307. Street driveability to keep "Granny" comfortable, and 12 second ¼ mile times with the same car.

750 Performer is a clone of the Carter AFB (aluminum four barrel) that was used in the late '50s - early '60s. Not as tunable as the, more modern, Q-jet.

The secondary valve systems in both, supply only what the engine needs, and eliminates the problems associated with a carb that is too large for the application. Good example is the Q-jet's use on the 307.

Holley is performance oriented, simple to tune/troubleshoot in a competition environment. In the pits, for instance. But, for street use, it must be sized properly for the individual application.

Norm
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

750 Performer is a clone of the Carter AFB (aluminum four barrel) that was used in the late '50s - early '60s. Not as tunable as the, more modern, Q-jet.
While I'm also a big fan of the Qjet, I've had good luck with the AFB as well. I ran a pair of 500 CFM AFBs (before Edelbrock bought the product line) on an old Edelbrock dual plane dual quad manifold on a 455. You can (or at least could) buy "strip kits" from Carter that included an assortment jets and metering rods (plus all the small parts). The AFB (at least, the ones manufactured in the 1980s) were very easy to tune. There were little covers above the metering rods and power pistons that allowed the rods to be swapped by removing a single screw. All other tuning activities were on par with those of the Qjet or easier to perform.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
........ I ran a pair of 500 CFM AFBs ........ on an old Edelbrock dual plane dual quad manifold on a 455 .........
I remember the engine and the car. I'm thinking I had two 4GCs on my 394 at that time.

I used AFBs on several of my Chevs and my Toyota Corona.

........ You can (or at least could) buy "strip kits" from Carter ........
I still have one.

........ There were little covers above the metering rods and power pistons that allowed the rods to be swapped ........
Along with the return springs, if needed.

Norm
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Make that “88 Coupe”. Contrary to what one might read on the internet, the Super 88 did not exist before '51.

Sorry for the error but you're still "Super" for those you help

Why?

May not make sense for many (in fact probably not at all), but the way I looked at it, since I had the motor tore down, the incremental cost at that point to add the straps, stud kit and oil restrictors was minimal and may save tearing it down later if I want to refresh the heads to get more out of the engine. I didn't put in a high volume oil pump but figured I could get at it without pulling the engine IF I really want to go down that road as I need a larger oil pan anyway.

There is some good information in the stuff he wrote. But, because it targeted a specific audience, much of it is not useful for anything, except selling his products. Catch 22 applies.

True, but as you pointed out earlier, sometimes you need to look hard to find what you're looking for. I printed off the articles available on his website and ordered the tech manuel. While as you point out, much is pointed at specific audiences it's also a good set of basic information that served as a cross reference combined with the advice of the internet, Joe, 2blu, etc. I actually bought very little from Mondello, most was bought through general sources, locally or guys like supercars unlimited, etc.
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
oldsmobile newbie

Thumbs up thank for all your helps

i am pleased to see that we have come back to the subject of cars and engines .. i enjoy reading everybody's saviness about those old cars and i am very excited and hopeful that one day i will know a 10th of what you gentlemen know.

now i get the feelling that edelbrock might be prefered to holley for a street car .. As you know i have a Holley carb here that i could use model 80508-1 /1660 see pictures attached ..

what would you think i should do, sell the carb on ebay and get an other one better suited for my use, just install the Holley and have somebody who knows what he is doing set it up just right .. or find a 3rdoption i might not think of because i am a rookie in this field ..

so once again feel free to let me know what you think and feel free to advice accordingly
Remember the car is a 65 olds dynamic who has a 425 with 52000 original miles , most everything in the engine bay i believe is original.
i am looking at putting a 4 barrel intake manifold ( if anybody has one for sell )with a 4 barrel carb .. i am also considering a dual exhaust system
once again thank you for all your help, patience and friendliness
denis
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM

manifold

65topless, nice car. i too have a 65 olds dynamic 88 convertable that im fixing up. i just recently dropped the manifolds on it and put new gaskets on it. i had problems on two areas. first was getting the bolts out of the manifold. i had to cut a couple heads off and then use vise grips after the manifolds were off to get them out. second the long threaded bolts on the flang part of the manifold will break easily. i ended up breaking two of them off and had to drill out the holes and nut and bolt it. it was a nightmare. i put gaskets in it, but found out after word that that year did not take a gasket. it was metal to metal, but would not hurt that i put the gasket in, so i left it. chris
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Freedom Fighter

Lots of info for ya, 65topless. Welcome to the 'open' forum.

I guess it would come down to what you are after: performance upgrades or just some 'street looking' aluminum under the hood.

I went with the Edelbrock parts. Performer manifold and carb. This is a daily (at least twice a week) driver/ ice cream runner, car show hopping, cruising weekends, car. Every once in awhile I like to 'throw the coals' to her, just to get that old 'high school' feeling back. I have no intentions of building this months PHR 'Dick Miller' special (I did read the article). I leave that for the power quest junkies. I'll stick my $$ in the tank (premium gas) and just enjoy the ride.

Heres a couple pics of the setup.
Attached Images
425.jpg (62.8 KB, 77 views)
Olds1.jpg (19.4 KB, 173 views)
Olds by the Lake.jpg (76.7 KB, 59 views)
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM
oldsmobile newbie

thank you for the replies gentlemen, it helps a lot .. as far as bolts sticking and breaking , i am hoping that the great shape of the engine (52000miles) will help but to make sure i do everything right i am thinking about applying PB's for a week or so before every other day untill i feel confident that the bolts will not cause me too much problems .
Dynamic88 do you have a few favorite place to shop for parts on the internet ? chromes? seals, headlights, etc...
once again thank you for all you guys' help .
denis
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Luser

Talking

Hey topless, I just left ADVANCED AUTO PARTS and the kid at the computer typed in my 65 Vista looking for a cap and rotor, and he told me the CHERRY VANILLA AIR FRESHENER is listed as best for my car.............sorry boys, I couldn't resist!!!LOL
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Cherry Vanilla?? In an Olds?? Do you have any idea what that will do to your combobulator?