Carbs

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:53 AM

Carbs

I am sure this question is asked a lot but bear with me, this is my first time building an engine (only 17) and my dad used to build high performance engines for Chevys (in the '70s)

So needless to say we are learning a lot before we go do this, but before I get to the question let me give you some back ground info here.

I have a '75 Cutlass Supreme that I am taking the 350 Smog Motor out of and putting in a fairly warmed over 455 (hoping to make around 400 hp), this car will be a daily driver, but its being built for some track action (my friends drive rice and I want to be able to show them what real cars can do).

So we got the 455, going to boar it .30 over, put a nice cam, performer 2151 intake, (not sure about heads yet, problem is that the 455 I have had different heads, its a '72 F block, but it has these dam J heads, I just can't get away from these smog heads...) so, if I can find around $2,000 in my sofa then I am going with the Alum heads, but I am looking for a good set of heads, these J heads are NOT going in the car.

Now I have head very mixed reviews with the Edlebrock Carb's and I was very surprised, so now I am looking at the Holley's, and a Remanufactured Quad

These are the two carb's I am looking at, please give me all the feedback you can:

http://www.holley.com/0-80870.asp - Holley Street Avenger 870 CFM

http://www.smicarburetor.com/product.../productID/841

If you have any other suggestions please also post them

Thanks,
Jim
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:10 AM

I personally would never daily drive with a Holley. I think they are too touchy. Now for a dedicated racer they are great due to the tunability of them.

I had an Edelbrock carb on a 455 15 years ago and I drove that thing every day for over 2 years sun, rain or snow (in Chicago), and lets just say I was not nice to it. I never had an issue with it.

I now have a Quadrajet on my current 455 that is stock save the distributor and flowmaster exhaust system. This is also a good carb. I don't drive this as much in part due to the fact that I have a distrust for other drivers on the road and the fact that premium fuel is $3.50 a gallon.

Of the two carbs I would get the Quadrajet and then find a tuning kit for it with jets, hangers and metering rods. You're going to need them with the change in cam and heads.
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
I personally would never daily drive with a Holley. I think they are too touchy. Now for a dedicated racer they are great due to the tunability of them.

I had an Edelbrock carb on a 455 15 years ago and I drove that thing every day for over 2 years sun, rain or snow (in Chicago), and lets just say I was not nice to it. I never had an issue with it.

I now have a Quadrajet on my current 455 that is stock save the distributor and flowmaster exhaust system. This is also a good carb. I don't drive this as much in part due to the fact that I have a distrust for other drivers on the road and the fact that premium fuel is $3.50 a gallon.

Of the two carbs I would get the Quadrajet and then find a tuning kit for it with jets, hangers and metering rods. You're going to need them with the change in cam and heads.

Not sure what you mean by too touchy. But the rest of that statement is kind of contradictory isn't it? If you can tune them for the track why not for the street?
I'm not an anything fan, especially Edelbrocks, had 2, never buy one again but a good Qjet is fine or one of the Quick Fuels, very streetable and flexible. But anybody's 870 is too big for your application.

Just my .02

Last edited by cutlassefi; January 21st, 2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM
Past Administrator

Qjet works for me.
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM
Oldsdruid

Don't totally discount the J head. It's not as good as a C, but a lot of people turn respectable numbers using them. Just takes more work and time. The aluminum heads IMHO are an unnecessary expense.

Same with a QuadraJet. The biggest reason people toss them is because they don't understand them and because performance parts can't be bought from Summit as with a Holley.
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM

An easier head to find is the overlooked Big Valve E head. Will work great for your motor. Small valve E and GA large or small valve will work fine as well and are easier to find. The GA also has the advantage of hard seats for unleaded fuel
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
One of None W-31

Edelbrock works well for me too. Q-Jet and Holley always had to be messed with so I ditched them and feel I have better performance and less hassel w/out them.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM

They say the holleys are better on the track and not as good on the streets. The edelbrock is a good street carb. I ran one for about 10 yrs on my daily driver with no problems. A lot of guys at the track were surprised when I popped the hood and they seen an edelbrock sitting there.

Last edited by 455man; January 21st, 2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM

Man lets not get the carb thing going again. Been discussed a million billion times check back on threads. Run what yeah like. Me I prefer coffee cans with large holes just pour it in and away we goooooooooooooooooooo
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:30 PM

I have one better, EFI!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Not sure what you mean by too touchy. But the rest of that statement is kind of contradictory isn't it? If you can tune them for the track why not for the street?
I'm not an anything fan, especially Edelbrocks, had 2, never buy one again but a good Qjet is fine or one of the Quick Fuels, very streetable and flexible. But anybody's 870 is too big for your application.

Just my .02
It's not contradictory. In my experience Holleys are more sensitive to barometric and temperature changes than other carbs. When I'm talking about track tuning I'm talking about making changes for that particular track on that particular day. They are good for that. Again....in my experience.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM

Efi is the best way i think.

I run edelbrock and it is a good carb, i'm only missing the heatstove/ auto matic mechanical choke of the qjet, with i vind superb

But every carb need to be set for your engine to run at best.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I am leaning towards a stage 2 Holly, but got to get some heads first

Last edited by jo75olds; January 24th, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:32 AM

I have an Edlel on my 70 Cutlass and it works very well but I've had stock Q jets on my 71, 72 Caddies and an 88 Caprice. All worked very well. I went with the Edle on my Cutlass because I replaced the stock two barrel and the Edlel intake and carb was an easy way to go. I may eventually start gathering the parts required to switch to a stock Q jet set up but it will require more effort to get all the proper parts.