Camshaft for a 1970 W-30 automatic

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM

Camshaft for a 1970 W-30 automatic

I am going to be rebuilding the engine in my 1970 W30 automatic this winter. I rebuilt in in 1982 at which time it was bored .060 and had stock compression pistons put in. The car has the original OW transmission along with the factory higher stall speed convertor. The rear gear is a 3.91 with reproduction Goodyear G70-14 tires. The exhaust system is factory cast iron manifolds and pipes. Induction is the factory aluminum manifold along with the stock W-30 Quadrajet.

I have never cared for the fact the automatic W-30s got the standard 442 camshaft. I would like to put something a little more aggressive in this time.

I have looked at some of the threads here and found Cutlassefi's recommendation of the Erson TQ 50 and TQ40. Has anyone run these cam? If so, what are your thoughts? Are there any other cams I should consider?

Last edited by Boiler_81; December 8th, 2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old December 8th, 2014, 04:02 PM

I use and like the Engel 22-25-10. I have that in my 70 W30 4SP, and I like it. It has P brakes added, so it also works with P brakes also.
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:56 PM

I have a stock stick shift w30 cam in my automatic 442. Believe me, you should be happy the automatics got the standard 442 cam. Even through manifolds this cam sounds good! But as a tradeoff you get crap for low end power and crap for power brakes and it will run a little hot. Get a modern grind and enjoy some useable power for the amount of fuel you are using. This cam is coming out of my car after I move to my new place otherwise would be happening now. Good luck.
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:45 PM

I know the stick cam is to much in the auto. The power brakes are not an issue for me as my car does not have them. I would have thought Olds would have used the 308 W31 cam in the automatic W30s. It would have distinguished it from the standard 442s.

I am planning on going with a modern cam. The question is which one.

Originally Posted by brddg
I have a stock stick shift w30 cam in my automatic 442. Believe me, you should be happy the automatics got the standard 442 cam. Even through manifolds this cam sounds good! But as a tradeoff you get crap for low end power and crap for power brakes and it will run a little hot. Get a modern grind and enjoy some useable power for the amount of fuel you are using. This cam is coming out of my car after I move to my new place otherwise would be happening now. Good luck.
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:55 PM

Thank you for another option to consider

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I use and like the Engel 22-25-10. I have that in my 70 W30 4SP, and I like it. It has P brakes added, so it also works with P brakes also.
Old December 8th, 2014, 08:28 PM

I forgot which one I used, I'll try to look it up, it was from the old Mondello's a "modern" cut W30 cam - I like it a lot, a little lopey and more pull but still a cruiser
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:18 AM

There are lots of options but the new fast ramp stuff doesn't always have the same effect on older style heads as it would on the new/aftermarket ones.
Yes they'll all work fine but some will work better than others.

The Erson TQ series was specifically designed for stock type applications. Easy on the valvetrain but a bit faster than stock while giving excellent midrange torque.
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:22 AM

This sounds interesting, I'm looking for a good bottom and mid range pulling cam with the rest of the car pretty much stock.

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I forgot which one I used, I'll try to look it up, it was from the old Mondello's a "modern" cut W30 cam - I like it a lot, a little lopey and more pull but still a cruiser
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:24 AM

Which of the Erson TQs would you recommend? I'm looking for good low to mid range power. I little idle rumble is fine.

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
There are lots of options but the new fast ramp stuff doesn't always have the same effect on older style heads as it would on the new/aftermarket ones.
Yes they'll all work fine but some will work better than others.

The Erson TQ series was specifically designed for stock type applications. Easy on the valvetrain but a bit faster than stock while giving excellent midrange torque.
Old December 9th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
This sounds interesting, I'm looking for a good bottom and mid range pulling cam with the rest of the car pretty much stock.
No matter whether you go with an old or modern grind, you'll get more bottom end if you go to a quality, higher stall converter (which will also be of smaller diameter). Yes, the W-30s already had a higher stall converter from the factory, but you can do better. Don't be afraid of a high-stall converter; it'll make a performance cam MORE drivable, not less.

If you're not willing to change the converter, that will be a determining factor in the cam you pick.
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:03 PM

I agree a higher stall convertor would be good. However, I don't think I want to change it. As long as I can get a bit more performance, I will be happy.

As I said before, it just isn't right that Olds put the standard 442 cam in the W-30 automatic cars. There should have been something between the standard 442 cam and the manual transmission W-30 cam.

Originally Posted by BlackGold
No matter whether you go with an old or modern grind, you'll get more bottom end if you go to a quality, higher stall converter (which will also be of smaller diameter). Yes, the W-30s already had a higher stall converter from the factory, but you can do better. Don't be afraid of a high-stall converter; it'll make a performance cam MORE drivable, not less.

If you're not willing to change the converter, that will be a determining factor in the cam you pick.
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:45 PM

I have a 69 Hurst with air conditioning. It does not have the original engine and the previous owner put the W30 manual cam in it. The car was undriveable! Hard to start, would not idle in gear, forget turning on the air conditioning. Low end acceleration was very poor. I selected a Comp Cams #42-231-4. It is very close to the factory H/O cam with a little more lift and a little less duration. The cam has a nice idle lope that I could listen to all day, it idles in gear although does require occasional 2 footing with the air conditioning on. Low end power and throttle response is excellent.
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
I agree a higher stall convertor would be good. However, I don't think I want to change it. As long as I can get a bit more performance, I will be happy.

As I said before, it just isn't right that Olds put the standard 442 cam in the W-30 automatic cars. There should have been something between the standard 442 cam and the manual transmission W-30 cam.
If you are interested in a OEM grind, the 406768 '70 442 M/T cam is a step up from the 400165 W30 A/T camshaft, but avoids the overlap excesses of the W31 & W30 M/T models.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM

I know I will get a lot of heat for this. the plane white box 224/234 @50 works great in a 455 that has decent rear end gear. The tq 40 or tq 50 will work also as well with your rear end gear.

Last edited by grampy; December 11th, 2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old December 11th, 2014, 01:23 PM

I used the JM-22-25-10 as I have power brakes.