BBO or SC SBO?

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2015 | 10:31 AM

BBO or SC SBO?

Hello.

While ago i bought an all original 76' 442 Cutlass with original 350+350 technic.
While i do respect it being all original example, which after all was a coincidence, im not really, cought, not at all happy with the thrust of my car.

Ive been figuring two possible scenarios, and would like to hear your opinions, facts and toughts about it.

1. Supercharge it. Using some generic Weiand 6-71 or comparable, just to give idea. Im having for this my great 76' 350 block, solid mains and ~8.0CR. You couldnt ask for much more. Installing SC is pretty easy if you have some tools, and at work i have them all, all you can figure out. From turning lathe to TIG. And im former car mechanic, only quit them due to it being badly payed job. Changed to job with twice the salary/ year + ~3 month vacation per year.
Ive driven supercharged 350 SBC, and while it was pretty wild off-the-line, as revs grow it lost its punch. For everyday normal use? Great. For occasional fun? Not sure. Somehow it left me cold how it lost its punch when it revved. It def has the cool factor tho.
Cons would be possibility to ruin the original block.
Cost after all would be pretty even whichever solution i choose.

2. Change 455 for it. This one is tempting. My car is 76', so last year of 455. I could get it even inspected for it. Same goes for SC.
Problems to occur. I should get it probably hauled from US since theres no spares likely. Which starts to bring the costs up to SC level.
But it would be BBO. Friend is always talking about BB, since he have BBC.
Would mildly tuned BBO be more pleasurable to drive than SC SBO?
How does it move? Ive never driven one. Id like a motor which would pull evenly, have great torque from down low, and pull all the way up without feel of motor losing its punch.
And with BBO i wouldnt start to wonder " why i didnt buy it ( if going to SC it). Plus no change to blow my original block.
Since for sure im not going to buy another 350 block if i already have one.

What you think? Which one would you choose, and why? And other opinions too are welcome. Im just not interested of building naturally aspirated 350.
Even from my 2 opinions other one could sound more tempting from my side, its not reflecting reality, both ones sound evenly tempting solutions for me.

Last edited by Inline; October 19th, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old October 19th, 2015 | 10:50 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You will have to figure out that whole intake issue for a roots type blower. i would prefer turbo's for boost vs. roots type or even a centrifugal blower. My sbo runs 12.60s n/a pump gas and its a street car. Your car is heavy i would do a 455 . The 350 loves to rev fast but the 455 has the grunt to get that tank moving.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 19th, 2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old October 19th, 2015 | 11:10 AM

Call me old-fashioned, but i dont generally like the idea of turbos or centrifugials on old american cars.

And about intake system on roots, new intake mani ( new, since used junk is contaminated with gas fuses and so on, almost impossible to weld properly), aluminium plates and TIG does wonders. I dont think that part would be hard at all. Mill down the intake mani, weld an plate on it where you craft pattern to secure SC on top of it. And you wouldnt need to pressurise carbs as compared to turbo. Atleast i hope no-ones using carbs before of turbo, since ive seen this on Minis.

About get that tank moving, thats the word i was searching. What i want to do with my car.
Old October 19th, 2015 | 11:26 AM

I would just say keep it simple and do a BBO 455 with aluminum heads with close to 11:1 it will have max TQ and HP but still be be pump gas 93 octane. But the original 8:1 350 if it had some nice forged pistons keeping that CR and original heads go bigger valves and a decent bowl work would great with a open plenum low rise single plane and a single large turbo blow thru carb setup and 15# boost sure would something to say about that too !
Old October 19th, 2015 | 07:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Supercharge the 455.
Old October 19th, 2015 | 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Supercharge the 455.
deal!
Old November 1st, 2015 | 02:52 AM

After a long search and considering, i came after all to conclusion, im going the SBO route. I can get what i need with it too. Also having an numbers matching car somehow tickles me.

So ill rebuild my current engine next winter, and do plans and purchases this in mind.

Thanks for thoughts!