aluminum intake

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:40 PM

aluminum intake

found this while surfing...
http://www.bdub.net/grockwell/
its from a motorhome website i believe for a 455 toronado.
$600
looks like bosses for fuel injection down the line
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IntakeManifold_004.jpg (49.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
LooksandRunsGood.jpg (65.7 KB, 53 views)
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lowkey235
found this while surfing...
http://www.bdub.net/grockwell/
its from a motorhome website i believe for a 455 toronado.
$600
looks like bosses for fuel injection down the line
Yeah, this has been on the market for a while. The GMC motorhome community has developed a lot of aftermarket parts for the Toro drivetrain in the motorhomes, including a true serpentine accessory drive (using the diesel V6 reverse rotation water pump) and a limited slip for the Toro differential. All I can say is that they think VERY highly of their parts, because none of them are particularly affordable.

By the way, there's a lot of BS in that website you posted. Apparently the rationale for replacing your stock iron intake with a $600 aluminum one is because the stockers crack? News to me, but even so, there are a LOT of used iron Toro intakes out there that can be bought for a fraction of $600.
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:03 AM

I think they did it to remove the exhaust crossover, the site said to keep the quadrajet base from warping.
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:09 AM

I believe the cracking is when the intakes is used in the motorhome application..
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lowkey235
I believe the cracking is when the intakes is used in the motorhome application..
Again, still BS in my book. There are WAAAAY more Toros on the road than motorhomes and I have never heard of cracking or warping of the iron intakes being a problem. I find it impossible that the motorhome engine compartment causes enough of a temperature difference to matter, because the head necessary to do this would melt the aluminum intake. And to my original point, why spend $600 for an aluminum intake when you can get a used stock Toro intake for under $60? You'll never see the weight or performance difference on the motorhome.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vader
Plus, why would you pay $600 for that when you could get a real w30 intake w/jet hot, for almost the same price ???
Probably because only a Toro intake with the depressed carb flange will fit in the motorhome engine compartment. And the W30 intake provides no flow benefit over stock iron anyway, so it's only valuable for a W30 resto, which makes one with incorrect Jet Hot coating pretty much worthless.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:49 AM

w30 intake

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Probably because only a Toro intake with the depressed carb flange will fit in the motorhome engine compartment. And the W30 intake provides no flow benefit over stock iron anyway, so it's only valuable for a W30 resto, which makes one with incorrect Jet Hot coating pretty much worthless.
I'm sure your right.