Aftermarket Chinesium 455 flywheel trouble?

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Aftermarket Chinesium 455 flywheel trouble?

Anyone out there know anything about the aftermarket stick flywheels available?
I bought a cheap SFI rated somewhere on line and it seems the engine has a slight vibration after 4000 RPM. Do these flywheels need a balance right out of the box?
Good thing it came with a set of Ginsu knives for the kitchen.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM

I never use a flywheel without balancing it first; I try to have any flywheels I might use balanced when the engine is done. Second, the pressure plate could be out of balance, or not exactly centered (using non-shouldered bolts, or threaded holes off-centered). If you have a perfectly balanced flywheel, a good performance engine shop can check the new wheel against it for you, and verify that the pressure plate is not contributing to off-balance. The crude way would be to put a longer bolt and small weight at one pressure plate mounting position at a time and see if the vibration gets better. Or use an extra hole such as for 10.5" pressure plates if yours is 11". A short 3/8" bolt in one of those holes would make a noticeable difference. If you are turning over 4000, I hope you have an SFI bell housing, Lakewood or Quick Time. The latter would allow this experimentation.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I never use a flywheel without balancing it first; I try to have any flywheels I might use balanced when the engine is done. Second, the pressure plate could be out of balance, or not exactly centered (using non-shouldered bolts, or threaded holes off-centered). If you have a perfectly balanced flywheel, a good performance engine shop can check the new wheel against it for you, and verify that the pressure plate is not contributing to off-balance. The crude way would be to put a longer bolt and small weight at one pressure plate mounting position at a time and see if the vibration gets better. Or use an extra hole such as for 10.5" pressure plates if yours is 11". A short 3/8" bolt in one of those holes would make a noticeable difference. If you are turning over 4000, I hope you have an SFI bell housing, Lakewood or Quick Time. The latter would allow this experimentation.
You have brought up some great points. I appreciate the info on the balancing. I never thought of bringing in the pressure plate with the flywheel. I think I'll have my sons pull them out and we'll get it all balanced.
I have the factory bell...but you got me thinking about a Lakewood. We had a clutch come through the floor in a 396 Camaro many years ago, so I know that stuff can happen,
Thanks again,
Dave
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM

I suggest you go to www.quicktimeinc.com and look at their housings. About half or 2/3 the weight of a Lakewood, stronger, fewer bolts to deal with, well made. Sometimes you can get a deal on ebay or Summit. I haven't even saved any stock bellhouisngs over the years because my feet are discontinued If someone criticizes my car for having an aftermarket bell, so what. I guess I could paint it copper/bronze but why add the weight of another layer of paint, lol.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM

I bought the sfi flywheel....

and as was said above brought it to the engine builder to be balanced with the rest of the assembly, I also bought the damper ( sfi too) and my machinist said they were good pieces, he said he wouldn't use em on a drag only car but absolutely fine for the street.