84 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2014, 10:25 AM

Exclamation 84 cutlass

Hello. I work as a mechanic in a small shop, kind of in the ghetto area of my town.. The problem I have, I never experienced before, and I am lost. Its an 84 Cutlass Olds Mobile, V8. I cannot identify the vehicle because of the heavy ghetto strip out and modifications. I had another mechanic replace the transmission, due to a big hole in it. I was not present due to me working at a different place. But when i got to the car the new tranny was already in it. So I picked up where someone else left off. I have alot of broken wires, missing vacuum hoses, and broken connectors. Despite all of that, I was able to connect carb wiring, some vacuum hoses, and some broken sensors( did all of that based on the wire bend, length, proximity and common sense). WAS able to start the vehicle, which took me a good minute, but it ran approximately 6 seconds. after which engine stalled, carburetor backfired a white smoke at me, spit some fuel, and the engine rotated backwards about 5-6 turns. I have never seen engine go backwards. Any ideas what caused that and maybe how to eliminate it?
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Demonic possession?

Welcome to ClassicOlds!

- Eric
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:07 AM

First thought ... was it running when you got it in the first place?

If you can post some pics of your fixes, the braintrust here can certainly winnow through your handiwork and spot any mistakes. A pic of any cowl tags or RPO stickers would set them to identifying your beast.
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:50 AM

I will post pictures later. And haha demonic possessions thats what i thought the first time. its 150 here now so pic will be up here around 430.
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:09 PM

and yes it was running when we got it. but i didnt pull the tranny or the engine. i was left to clean up someone elses mess
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Paramedik
and yes it was running when we got it. but i didnt pull the tranny or the engine. i was left to clean up someone elses mess

That's what I thought, but it's best to make sure.
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM

any thoughts so far?
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Administrator

I think we are waiting for pictures.
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Paramedik
WAS able to start the vehicle, which took me a good minute, but it ran approximately 6 seconds. after which engine stalled, carburetor backfired a white smoke at me, spit some fuel, and the engine rotated backwards about 5-6 turns. I have never seen engine go backwards. Any ideas what caused that and maybe how to eliminate it?
This happened to my 400 engine when the timing chain jumped the cam sprocket.........
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Having had a nice 84 that I sold a couple of years back ...

Every time I see/hear about one getting "ghetto'ed" out, another part of me dies inside.

Maybe the problem here is divine intervention & the Olds motor has simply come to the terms with the fact that it would rather sacrifice itself & die ...

Rather than being forced against its will to continue living on in agony in its current surroundings.
(the ghetto'ed out remains of what was once a Cutlass)