455w/425Heads

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM

455w/425Heads

I recently purchased a 455 with 425 Heads it has a Eldebrock torker 455 manifold. I have found a coolant leak at the intake do you guys have any suggestions or Tricks on how to repair it. It was recently regasketed or so the exowner says. I'm about to get a new gasket kit. It is putting antifreeze into the oil.If nothing else say a little prayer for me. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

When you install the new gasket ( Are you going to use the metal "turkey tray" type?) follow the directions and be sure to use some silicone around the water passage ports on the front and back. It may not be a bad gasket, it could be a crack in the heads or even the torker manifold may be warped or damaged and not provide a good seal. Why did the previous owner put 425 heads on the 455?
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Don't run it this way. You will ruin the bearings. It may be a head gasket leaking also. Pull plugs see if one look different than the others. Usually it is he intake leaking. I am not crazy about the "turkey trays" especially with the aluminim intake. Use Mr. Gaskets intake gaskets. Get it CLEAN! CLEAN,CLEAN,CLEAN, did I tell you that the heads, block & intake must be clean? Clean front/back of intake underneath where front/back engine rail will be. After it is CLEAN, take rubbing alcohle and clean it some more. I like using a product called Gasket Cinch, hard to find in parts stores, I buy it at the Honda shop. Also us RV sealer instead of the rubber rail gaskets. Do the gaskets with the Cinch both sides, wait 5 min's, do again, wait 10 min's put the on the heads. I Cinch them and hang them on a wire while waiting. Put bead of RV on front/rear rail lapping a bit onto the gasket, I make the bead about a 1/2" high, Put intake on carefully, Nice the have new or really clean bolts, The bolts by the water ports smear some RV on them, just in case they go through into water jacket, I think one may. Thighten starting in center, in stages working across front/back, TORQUE in stages, and don't over thighten, let it set a couple hours and recheck torque. I always take gooseneck off and fill radiator letting block fill to gooseneck opening the put a new gooseneck/thrmostat gasket. Change oil/filter. After running to normal temp, shut off, Let it completely cool, check oil for water, retorque intake. Good luck, Ken
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Thanks guys I hope to get after it next week I don't know why the 425 heads are on the 455 I thought you could tell me//?? I hope they aren't cracked I'd like to make this old girl run.
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM

All Olds heads from 1965 on will phyically fit each other engine but with some differences, such as a 403 has 1/2" bolt holes as do the diesel but all other's have 7/16" bolts. Chamber and ports size differ between big & small block engines but the heads will bolt on each other, doesn't make it right though. Now getting back to the 425/455 heads, they are both big block heads, thats good. All 425 heads will work on 455's. The odd-ball of the big blocks is the 1965 and early 1966 425 engines,(non-Toronado) these engines were 45 degree'd cam shaft'd. All after were 39 degree'd, so if u put the mid-1966 and later heads on a pre-early-1966 425, they say u have to elong the pushrod holes in the head a tad so the pushrods don't rub. In my own experience I have found this untrue but the "heavy hitters" tell me I am wrong. So, anyway the heads u have on your 455 will be fine. I would almost bet you have a 1973-76 455 engine. These came with "J" heads, smog head, the worst flowing head. Everyone gets a set of early heads to boost HP via better flowing heads. The Big block Heads have a Capital letter in front on #1 sparkplug, "A" heads are 1965, good flowing but have a one year only valvetrain, "B" heads 1966, good heads, "C" or "Ca" 1967,1968,1969, good heads, "E" 1970, good heads, "G" or"Ga", 1971,1972, good heads, 1973 and beyond are "J"'s. There are also "D", "F","K","Ka", These are heads made in small amounts. Later, Ken
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Kenny, First of all Thanks for the help I have a 68-72 Block 396021 My Heads are the 65 A's I don't know what goodies' she has it kind of came with my Truck it has all of the exterior goodies Chrome Oil Pan Holley Valve Covers Chrome Alt. Edelbrock 455 Manifold. Don't know the Cam or what's been done to the Heads or what they've done with the Block Rings or Pistons. Someones put some cash into this Motor but ????? Until I tear it apart I'll never know. I finding out I think someone torked the intake down wrong I'm taking to the machine shop on Monday to see if it Warped. I'm just going for a running engine that will hold together for a while. It's one of those cross your fingers and if it runs it's a Bonus type of deals. I'll watch the rods for wear. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks Craig
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Well the Intake is Wraped the Machinist is planeing it today. Just to pass on a tidbit I found out to make sure and use to proper antifreeze for Aluminum Heads.