455 E Cylinder Head Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2021, 06:25 AM

I apologize to all for the derail.
Old October 6th, 2021, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by rickw30
I apologize to all for the derail.

Everyone's opinion is welcomed on my thread.
Old October 6th, 2021, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Pistons shipped from manufacturer, not me. I had no idea they had been somewhere else first. Someone should’ve told me that as soon as it was discovered. I would’ve arranged for an exchange.
But instead, once you opened the box and saw they were touched before, why didn’t you make it a point to check them thoroughly before moving forward?
He told me you said there were a couple that were .0011-.0012 on the pin bore. But that was AFTER you bored it and balanced it. He told me your response was “I think they’ll be ok, besides I didn’t have time to return them, I’m moving to TX”. So, are they ok or you didn’t have time to send them back BECAUSE YOU DIDN’T CHECK THEM FULLY BEFORE YOU COMMITTED THEM TO THIS BUILD?

Why did you install the galley plug with no hole, tell him you did that, then put the freeze plug in behind it? Now he has to drive that out before he replaces the plug with the correct one. Don’t you think that just begs to be forgotten? In a hurry were you?
There’s a bunch more he told me as well, but you get my point.

I never bored Jim's block, it was worked on at another machine shop, but I did remove the 3/8 pipe plug in front of the dist gear to final clean the block, I agree it should have left out after the cleaning.
Old October 6th, 2021, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Hey, rickw30 have you personally dealt with Cutlassefi personally and he burnt you or do you just hate him for the hell of it? Vortec has knowledge, why attack Mr Remmel constantly? Him doing timely work does give him points in my eyes, I am currently on the other side of a shop that cares very little. As usual, Mark was just defending himself from an attack on his knowledge. Cutlassefi brought these products to market because he personally drives and loves Oldsmobile's. The pistons he sells are dropped shipped. The Mahle pistons I bought looked perfect, directly from Mahle. Dave and I both got nailed with a nice charge from UPS, their shipper for the pistons. Dave was a little upset, it sucked. I told him, not the first time I got border raped, it probably won't be the last. Is it Mark's fault? No. Mark did it to try and save us money. Mark isn't perfect but he isn't the clueless devil you make him out to be. A few of us are anti chevy, I have very little interest in them, same goes for the LS. Both can be very fast but I could care less. Driving the LS trucks makes me think GM lied a lot when writing down factory power numbers.
Take it easy big fella !
HATE !.....Hate is a strong word. I certainly do not hate Cutassefi. And I certainly do make him out to be anything.
Old October 6th, 2021, 08:15 AM

.I meant to say " do not"
Old October 6th, 2021, 08:33 AM

This is the type of thread that makes ROP so great....... wait, I'm not on ROP, am I?
Old October 6th, 2021, 09:29 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by rickw30
.I meant to say " do not"
You think? See, there is a reason. I consider Mark a friend as well as a great source for all Oldsmobile. Mark comes off a bit critical on here, well both of them do. I also realize both have way more experience than myself. Vortecpro's input, on how tight bronze guides can be set compared to cast iron is good knowledge and is obviously the way to go. Way too many have had guides stick. It was the first thing I checked when I got my fresh #6 heads a few years back.
Old October 6th, 2021, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
This is the type of thread that makes ROP so great....... wait, I'm not on ROP, am I?
Is that cesspool still going? Haven't posted there in as long time and I'm better for it.
Old October 6th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

On life support, the General Hangout is the only real active forum. Basically, conspiracy theories and a political mess.
Old October 6th, 2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
Sure, a two piece valve has the the stem friction welded to the head of the valve. A stainless valve with its chrome stem also wears better when combined with a bronze valve guide. A stainless valve also lives better with todays non leaded gas.
https://youtu.be/cKv0x7VZecs
Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Yes, thats inertia/friction welding. I witnessed some prototype work using the that process about 45 years ago.
"stainless valve with its chrome stem".......Are you implying that the stainless steel valve stems are chrome plated ?
No answer ?
Old October 6th, 2021, 04:13 PM

The valves I use have chrome plated stems.
Old October 6th, 2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
The valves I use have chrome plated stems.
tell us about them.