455 cutlass with toro oil pan

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2018, 02:17 PM

455 cutlass with toro oil pan

after many months of dealing with a leaking oil pan,i decided to replace with new BB oil pan from summit. the cars on a lift now,old pan is out but noticed the removed pan is out of a 70 toronado.i knew the engine was from a toronado from the vin derivative number on the block. (30m7xxxxx). my question is will the new pan (painted and ready to go,for a 70 442) work or will i have to modify /replace the oil pump pick-up.dipstick tube etc? also has a front oil deflector that i dont know if it has to go back in, i read that these were for toro pans only according to supercars unlimited. or should i just replace with a toronado pan like the one i took out? thanks Alan
Old May 11th, 2018, 06:21 PM

Alan, I think the sump and dipstick would work but someone who knows for sure will need to speak up.

Here's an old thread with photos of the two different sump screens. Also further down is photos of different oil pans.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-oil-pump.html
Old May 11th, 2018, 08:07 PM

TheToro pan DOES need a new pickup. Two different part numbers. The Toro pan is not even good. I have one in my side yard and wouldnt use it over a regular one, given the choice.

The Toro pan has huge jump in the middle of it and no baffle. Only a scraper on one side.
Old May 12th, 2018, 02:57 AM

Thanks for the reply’s, I can’t get to the shop till Monday but will double check what kind of pickup is installed in the pump. My guess it’s a toro pickup and as long as everything clears I think it should work with the new pan
Old May 12th, 2018, 04:21 AM

The Toro pick up will not work with a regular pan since they held one more quart of oil.
Old May 12th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Hi vin Michael. I’ve had this car for three years now. The engine was rebuilt twenty or so years ago. The toronado oil pan has been in there for at least that long and if not for the leaking gasket and some road dents I would have left it alone but I have a new A body pan now and lm wondering if the pickup will work. Side by side on a bench the sumps are the same depth. So all I want to do is put the correct pan that’s supposed to be in there. Car has always had excellent oil pressure with no issues beside the leaks.