455 compressor brackets?

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2013, 09:41 AM

455 compressor brackets?

I have a 72 455 swapped into my 87 cutlass. Will the brackets off an 87 fit this motor? If not, any advice on where to go from here as far getting some air in this car? I have access to all the components of an 87 condensor, evaporator, etc. Surely theres a bracket out there some where that will do this..
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The brackets from the '87 should be able to bolt on, BUT, since the big block was not originally used in '87, there may be some fitment issues.

I do not have first-hand knowledge about this, but I would think that you might get away with it using longer belts to the compressor, so long as the compressor isn't positioned too close to the hood or the fender by the slightly wider engine configuration.
Also, if any of the brackets are attached to studs coming off of the head bolts, you will need to use smaller head bolts with the same-sized studs on them (early motors had smaller head bolts than later ones). AMK Fasteners might have the right head bolts to adapt it, if necessary.

- Eric
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by krashx7
I have a 72 455 swapped into my 87 cutlass. Will the brackets off an 87 fit this motor? If not, any advice on where to go from here as far getting some air in this car? I have access to all the components of an 87 condensor, evaporator, etc. Surely theres a bracket out there some where that will do this..
There are no brackets that mount the R4 A/C compressor to a BBO, since Olds did not start using the R4 until after BBO production ended. You need to swap the entire set of 307 accessory brackets, water pump, and pulleys as a set, but a couple of mods are required. The first mod is that you will need to fabricate a spacer between the PS pump bracket and the bottom alternator bracket. The spacer is about 1" long, not surprisingly corresponding to the difference in deck height. The other mod is to the front A/C compressor bracket. This bracket spans from the head to the block, so again you need to weld tabs onto the two lower holes and redrill the holes about 1" further down to get this to bolt to the BBO. Obviously you'll need longer belts.