455 C heads or F heads..that is the question

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Talking 455 C heads or F heads..that is the question

So, I got an oppinion from Redog about which heads I should use. I have a set of C's and a set of E's. the C's came from a 1969 455 and the E's came from a 1970 455. I want to build a real mean street machine. Dont plan on ever "racing" it. other than spankin some rice burners from the light. I want to hear what people's oppinions are, and what it is that makes them lean one way or the other.

again THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 64 CUTLASS KEN
So, I got an oppinion from Redog about which heads I should use. I have a set of C's and a set of E's. the C's came from a 1969 455 and the E's came from a 1970 455. I want to build a real mean street machine. Dont plan on ever "racing" it. other than spankin some rice burners from the light. I want to hear what people's oppinions are, and what it is that makes them lean one way or the other.

again THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The castings are nearly identical. Either set could have come with big or small valves. Use the set with big valves if you have them.
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM

THANKS!!!!! im gona go look right now!
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM

they are the same size, so is the metal any different from the two different years? or are they so close together that, like you said before, there is hardly any difference, if any at all.
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM

If installed in stock form, there's not a nickels worth of difference in performance..tell us about the rest of your combo..
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I would check all 4 and use the 2 with the best guides, personally.
Plenty of valves to choose from there.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:54 AM

how did people do restores without the internet? man I love the plethera of knowledge here! I am building two 455's. im gona just put one together and run the car. and the other I want to take my time (cuz I have to wait for the cash) and make a real nice street show machine. I am doing a complete frame off restore on a 64 cutlass convertible. My expertise is in the body and paint side of the world. so I am using all-yalls brains to figure this engine thing out! I am loving learning about it tho! I have pics on here of just a few highlights. I need to down size the pics so I can fit more for all to see. still learning this computer stuff. anyway, that is what I want to do with them. so I was just wanting to make a real nice one out of the two. and it sounds like I can blend anything I want as they are the same. and lookin over them last night I cant tell any difference other than the casting C and E.
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:29 AM

The heads have internal differences. The E heads have better ramps under the valve seats, but the improvement is not realized much without proper porting. E heads have deeper cups for the valve springs; check installed height also because if they have rotators, you will want to go to regular retainers and will want a longer valve spring. In stock form, the C heads seem to be preferred slightly. Cam choice will matter more than head choice.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
The heads have internal differences. The E heads have better ramps under the valve seats, but the improvement is not realized much without proper porting. E heads have deeper cups for the valve springs; check installed height also because if they have rotators, you will want to go to regular retainers and will want a longer valve spring. In stock form, the C heads seem to be preferred slightly. Cam choice will matter more than head choice.
The E heads have deeper bowls, but the port angle to the bowl is worse because the ramp is higher, and there is more of a hump to go around on the short turn.
The C heads actually have a more direct path to the valve.

In stock form, they both flow about the same. Get a set of big valves for the C heads (2.07 or 2.125) and have someone clean up the short turn, and the bowl. Leave the 1.625 exhaust valve there. My opinion.

The E head deep spring seats are a real benefit when going to monster valve springs (solid roller applications), good long lasting high lift springs are available for the 1.67 installed height, but available race springs triple for the E heads 1.800 height (with a solid retainer). Spring manufacturers are able to pack more coils, and a larger wire in this area, resulting in heavier spring force for a given application. The 1.800 installed height is the same height as many small Chevy applications, and they get the good stuff, first. The first beehive Comp cams marketed was the 1.750 installed Beehive (at first, they called it the cone shape) spring.

Put new guides into anything you have built. A set of loose guides can kill off 30 horsepower.

Fill the heat riser, and run an electric choke.
JIm

Last edited by Warhead; October 5th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM

im diggin everyones knowledge here! this helps aton! thanks so much!
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:24 AM

Either set will work.They are both great condidates.Like Warhead said,put a larger intake valve in them,and leave the exhaust valve the way it is.Have the EGR bumps removed,and do a valve job,and they will work great.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
...Have the EGR bumps removed...

Repeat after me:

A.I.R. bumps. A.I.R. bumps.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM

I know that is the correct term for them.I am just trying to speak with the common slang.
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

I know that is the correct term for them.I am just trying to speak with the common slang.
Do you also tell people that headers don't fit Supremes?
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Repeat after me:

A.I.R. bumps. A.I.R. bumps.

LOL i was thinking the same thing. Im sure Brian knows what thay are though.
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM

I'd really like to know what ******* came up with that idea about the headers not fitting supremes.Do you know how many people have asked me what headers I have on my supreme,and how I got them to fit?
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:49 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Brian, You seem to be a businessman.

Tell them they are custom made and add $100 to what ever headers you buy and sell them.
Larry
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM

well, thanks for calling them something you thought I would understand, but im still not sure what you are talking about. where are the a i r bumps?
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:16 PM

I have Headers by Ed and they fit my base level F85s. I wonder if they would fit a Supreme lol How about a Vandella
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:34 AM

These bumps are on the roof of the exhaust ports.The only BBO heads that did not come with them are the first castings of the A-heads.The later A's,and all of the other BBO heads have the bumps.
Old October 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

These bumps are on the roof of the exhaust ports.The only BBO heads that did not come with them are the first castings of the A-heads.The later A's,and all of the other BBO heads have the bumps.
For completeness, all Olds heads (BBO and SBO) from the 1966 model year on have the bumps, since 1966-67 California cars came with A.I.R. and the bumps were required to accommodate the A.I.R. manifolds.
Old October 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM

K and thanks again! for sharing the knowledge!
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM

I'd really like to know what ******* came up with that idea about the headers not fitting supremes.Do you know how many people have asked me what headers I have on my supreme,and how I got them to fit?

I just assumed you didnt have headers.
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM

Joe,you have the info correct about the bumps & such,but I have seen 2 styles of the A-heads.The ones without the bumps inside do not have the bumps on top of the runners either.The ones that did have the bumps inside,also have them on the top,just like the rest of the BBO heads that you see.I have not had very many early 330 heads to make that same comparison,but I did have a set that did not have the bumps,like the early A's. This also came a little trick for some of the super stock guys.Since you can't port,they would run the early A's,and just maybe change the letter.
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM

O.K. now I gota ask. Are you saying that you can fit headers on a 455 in a 1964 cutlass? and if so, are there heat issues with say the starter and anything else down there?
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
dre

Ken

If whichever heads you choose to use on your rebuild, would you be interested in selling the set that you dont use? I'm getting ready to rebuild a 455 for my 72. It currently has Ga heads, but I'd like to go with C or E heads.
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Texas Jim

U must mean "Supreme" mag wheels.LOL!
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I have Headers by Ed and they fit my base level F85s. I wonder if they would fit a Supreme lol How about a Vandella
...like "Martha and the Vandellas?"
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:02 AM
InfoJunkie

When I did my '74 Omega I used a '76 front subframe. The headers I used were from my '69 Cutlass (455) and they fit better and easier in the Omega. I could remove them with jacking the car up.
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Tx Jim, I'm glad someone noticed my pathetic attempt at humor
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM

What was the purpose of those so called AIR BUMPS?
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
What was the purpose of those so called AIR BUMPS?
To provide enough meat in the castings to allow them to be drilled and tapped for the air injection reaction system (A.I.R.) as used on 66-67 Calif cars. Why the bumps remained after that, when A.I.R. was not even used in Calif remains a mystery.
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM

im diggin everyones knowledge here! this helps aton! thanks so much!
x2 on that one Ken.

Not one person where I am (new zealand) has even guessed oldsmobile when I have carted a B head into their shops .So, without accompanying the head with screeds of info off this site and a service manual ,God knows what result I would end up with.

Yep, their are some real 'smartmobile' guys on here.
mike
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
When I did my '74 Omega I used a '76 front subframe. The headers I used were from my '69 Cutlass (455) and they fit better and easier in the Omega. I could remove them with jacking the car up.
Never saw that done before, but it's pretty damn ingenious! Pick up the front-steer setup & disc brakes and avoid the header dilemna. Any '68-up Cutlass headers will work in that subframe.
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by geckonz08
x2 on that one Ken.

Not one person where I am (new zealand) has even guessed oldsmobile when I have carted a B head into their shops .So, without accompanying the head with screeds of info off this site and a service manual ,God knows what result I would end up with.

Yep, their are some real 'smartmobile' guys on here.
mike

NO WAY!!!! I spent two years in New Zealand! the North Island. this is a long shot! as we are talking a whole country, but there was a couple there (older) that had a collection of old cars. had a 1906 cadi. the last name was Officer, anyway, way exciting to hear from the "real" down under!
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM

I heard the Supreme's really knew the meaning of 'headers'!!
[Good for a grin???]
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:20 PM

NO WAY!!!! I spent two years in New Zealand! the North Island. this is a long shot! as we are talking a whole country, but there was a couple there (older) that had a collection of old cars. had a 1906 cadi. the last name was Officer, anyway, way exciting to hear from the "real" down under!
Ken,This is a bit off topic .The only officer I know is the wrong one .Guess you can relate as to the Lack of U.S. auto knowledge here having resided for a period.
mike
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by geckonz08
Ken,This is a bit off topic .The only officer I know is the wrong one .Guess you can relate as to the Lack of U.S. auto knowledge here having resided for a period.
mike
I knew it was a long shot, but you know, you gota ask! =) yea you are right about the classic knowledge, Ray had to machine and build most his parts for his old cars, luckily he was a machinist. But hey there isnt a more beautiful place on this earth! I do miss the place often. but not the flight over there!!!!!
Old December 6th, 2020, 12:18 PM

Headers don’t fit Supremes

im rebuilding my 71 350 now, and I’ve got header questions..Do any headers fit a 1971 Cutlass Supreme Conv?
Old December 6th, 2020, 12:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bobby1917
im rebuilding my 71 350 now, and I’ve got header questions..Do any headers fit a 1971 Cutlass Supreme Conv?
Seriously? You resurrected a thread that's over a DECADE old to ask this?

Quick Reply: 455 C heads or F heads..that is the question