455 build with pictures and dyno test starts today

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:10 AM

455 build with pictures and dyno test starts today

Here what Im starting with 1970 Toro 455 with E heads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC07227.jpg (55.5 KB, 493 views)
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:41 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

This should be interesting (Old school vs CNC) Let the battle begin !!!
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM

To start with you may need to change that oil filter housing to get headers to fit. 70 Toronado with E heads was my first 455 build
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM

Looking forward to watching the different techniques used with the CNC build. I have built 2-455's in the last 3 years using the tried and true method as mentioned in the other thread.

Always open to new ideas. Just remember debate is good flaming is bad. I'll be watching
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
To start with you may need to change that oil filter housing to get headers to fit. 70 Toronado with E heads was my first 455 build
Thanks, I do remember having to do that in the past.
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:57 AM

So what are the customer's goals? As far as HP and budget? What is he going to do with it? Street.......street/strip........bracket race......class race......or other? We should know before you start.
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
So what are the customer's goals? As far as HP and budget? What is he going to do with it? Street.......street/strip........bracket race......class race......or other? We should know before you start.
X2, I'm in.
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:19 AM

The customer is retired, raced a GTO in his younger days, a real car guy, his goal is to drive the car to different Colorado dragstrips and out of state to race the car with his wife. The car is a factory 1970 442 convertible, the budget, well there is no budget, just kidding John! We will use the factory crank and rods, hyd roller, factory ported heads, performer air gap intake, probably 9.8 compression, as far HP I dont know, we will all find out together.
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:54 AM

I'm currious to see the end results?, I'm planning a similar build,just for the street though.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Me too!! And I'd believe his dyno numbers above all others.

Now that I've admitted that his future dyno numbers will be valid, he said he'd quit emailing and bothering me. Hope this helps cuz he's a wack job. If you don't believe me just google Mark Jones, aka Vortecpro and decide for yourselves.

Does this count Mark? I hope so.

I apologize to everyone on here as well as the moderators. I hope I've been help to at least one individual here.

Thank you all for your consideration, always.

Last edited by cutlassefi; November 9th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I did a quick google ad saw mostly good . Im not following here Im as they say confused.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I did a quick google ad saw mostly good . Im not following here Im as they say confused.
Keep reading, you'll see.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM

I did and it's no diffrent than anyone else . This is why i like to build my own stuff and take a risk if i f*&k it up atleast i built and have no one to blame and i learn. What im getting at is if this guy is a whack job it will catch up with him . You should not need to mention it karma is a s.o.b .
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:26 PM

I did and it's no diffrent than anyone else . This is why i like to build my own stuff and take a risk if i f*&k it up atleast i built and have no one to blame and i learn. What im getting at is if this guy is a whack job it will catch up with him . You should not need to mention it karma is a s.o.b .
Agreed, but the guy won't leave me alone and has attacked me repeatedly. But on top of that he's asked me to be available for help on an EFI build he has coming up. He admitted he's not real versed on EFI and asked for my help. I have the emails to prove it.

But quite frankly I don't think the way he came at me right away for no reason warrants any help from me. He's been real forward in criticizing me but now has asked for me to "be available" on this EFI build? Does that make sense? Not to me.

Thanks for your comments and sorry for the post.
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:04 AM

It is a lot of good, and the best part is my body of work becomes very evident the more you read, Ive put an awful lot of effort out for my customers, and I have a lot of product out there, so read away........
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Agreed, but the guy won't leave me alone and has attacked me repeatedly. But on top of that he's asked me to be available for help on an EFI build he has coming up. He admitted he's not real versed on EFI and asked for my help. I have the emails to prove it.

But quite frankly I don't think the way he came at me right away for no reason warrants any help from me. He's been real forward in criticizing me but now has asked for me to "be available" on this EFI build? Does that make sense? Not to me.

Thanks for your comments and sorry for the post.
Ive only questioned you based on the dyno tests you posted and the Panos build, and that was only after you called my dyno testing BS, you since have learned that your ideas on the data from my dyno tests was wrong, all I asked is that you acknowledge that you were wrong, which you have in a in sincere kind of way, which I will accept. I've always been kidding with you on needing your help with the EFI, I have a lot of resources available to me when it comes to tuning the EFI, although im sure you could be very helpful with the EFI and knowledgable at the same time. I would encourage people to do a search on GOOGLE, VORTECPRO and read every page about my escapades, killer engine builds, and problems with a few people along the way, Im an open book, take a lot of pride in my accomplishments, Im not on here to sell anything, I don't need the work, I have more than I can ever do, just want to share my 455 build with some Oldsmobile people.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 10th, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM

I just hope this means you'll leave me alone as I've asked you to do many times, both in email and pm's.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:15 AM

How many times have you emailed me? 47 times.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 10th, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Man you don't want to go there, you know damn well those were to tell you repeatedly that I didn't give a you know what about your Chevy dyno sheets you kept sending me, to beg you to quit emailing me and a host of other things that you couldn't take the hint on. I'd be more than happy to post them for everyone to prove it.

Do you get it now?! Man I hope so.

Again everybody, except you Vortecpro, I apologize. Does anyone not see what I've been talking about?

Last edited by cutlassefi; November 10th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM

I accept your apology. So hateful, take your self to that happy place where EFI 350 overdrived cutlass's roam freely, and theres no drag strips to be found, you better now. LOL

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 10th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Man you don't want to go there, you know damn well those were to tell you repeatedly that I didn't give a you know what about your Chevy dyno sheets you kept sending me, to beg you to quit emailing me and a host of other things that you couldn't take the hint on. I'd be more than happy to post them for everyone to prove it.

Do you get it now?! Man I hope so.

Again everybody, except you Vortecpro, I apologize. Does anyone not see what I've been talking about?
Are you glad he's not your neighbor?
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Maybe you two should meet around Dallas and bring boxing gloves!
Or your fastest cars and have a "race for pinks!"
Takes a bigger man to walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Im fine with cutlassefi now that he admitted he didnt understand the data on my dyno sheets and rushed to judgement not knowing the facts, Mark understands what those numbers mean now, its all about learning. And my 455 build is underway and I fully expect Mark to critique my work, infact I welcome it, and now he understands how the dyno works, so thats a plus. I also look forward to the retest of his 455, and the 380 project. And as far as a race would go...well I think we all know what would happen.
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM

I understand what Mark means about Vortecpoo bugging him.
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:16 PM

For a moment there, I thought I was on ROP. lol
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM

I understand what Mark means about Vortecpoo bugging him.
I have very little contact with you, its seems you like to instigate problems with me. I really have little to say to you, I do have a question though, how does a 133 MPH @ 3250 pounds add up to 730 HP, because I come up with 596 HP. So when you raise your shift point from 7000 RPM to 7400 RPM does this lost 134 HP magically appear? So heres the bottom line Nick, for one time in your life stand up in front of your peers on this site and have the ***** to call me out, I know you won't meet me half way, so Ill come to you if the moneys right, my 3720 pound 9 inch tired full interior production headed 68 chevelle against your gutted 14-32 tired, back halffed, rack and pinioned, aftermarket headed, 3250 pound 730 hp Cutlass. Put your money where your mouth is Nick, what are you gonna do............

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 10th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:37 PM

Dude relax it's the internet. Nick puts out there what he runs and is honest as far as i can see. I dont think he is calling anyone out. I think i see what cutlassefi and nick are talking about. You need to seriously relax man. So what if you prove you can be faster than nick. Im pretty sure there is someone faster than you. Does than mean you know less ? I mean all nick said was he understands what mark said. There you go into somethign completly unrelated to the subject bashing him calling him out. This $hit is getting old man now i have had my share of run in's with people but atleast it was an argument not an endless squable with people who with nothing to do with me . Im not the only one on this site who is avoiding posting stuff up becasue you and a few other members turn anything that get's brought up into this useless back and forth battle of pride that means nothing becasue it's on the internet. If you are that good you should not have to defend yourself nuff said your work should speak for it's self. I said this before so many times but if you have an opinion put it out there and thats it. There is no need to defend or fight an opinion because thats all it is.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 10th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Dude relax it's the internet. Nick puts out there what he runs and is honest as far as i can see. I dont think he is calling anyone out. I think i see what cutlassefi and nick are talking about. You need to seriously relax man. So what if you prove you can be faster than nick. Im pretty sure there is someone faster than you. Does than mean you know less ? I mean all nick said was he understands what mark said. There you go into somethign completly unrelated to the subject bashing him calling him out. This $hit is getting old man now i have had my share of run in's with people but atleast it was an argument not an endless squable with people who with nothing to do with me . Im not the only one on this site who is avoiding posting stuff up becasue you and a few other members turn anything that get's brought up into this useless back and forth battle of pride that means nothing becasue it's on the internet. If you are that good you should not have to defend yourself nuff said your work should speak for it's self. I said this before so many times but if you have an opinion put it out there and thats it. There is no need to defend or fight an opinion because thats all it is.
Nicks full of _ _ _ _I didnt start it.
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM

this is how i feel ths situation has turned
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM

It would be nice to keep the focus on my 455 build, the cleaning process has began, machining will be next.
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM

Just found a new candidate for my 'ignore list'.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:00 PM
car guy

Everyone involved keep this thread on track. I am curious to see what Mark does good or bad and I am sure I am not the only one. That goes you too Mark.

Carry on....
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:35 AM
MOTORHEAD

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:15 PM
car guy

Any updates on this motor?
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM
72 Olds CS

Im interested too
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Any updates on this motor?
Thanks for your interest. Im in the middle of it right now, I will post the pictures along with the dyno test when the project is done, followed up with the drag strip times.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
Thanks for your interest. Im in the middle of it right now, I will post the pictures along with the dyno test when the project is done, followed up with the drag strip times.
sounds good...please do
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Vortecpro I am interested also and I would appreciate any photo's and data on this rebuild. I think everyone has a interesting pov and also helpful information. We all have experiences in life some good some not, but sharing them helps everyone with our passion which is Oldsmobiles!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM

Pistons showed up today, having second thoughts about using them, I will post pictures tommorow. Thinking about using a flattop instead and cutting a D shaped dish in them. CP pistons, they look good except for the dish.
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
It would be nice to keep the focus on my 455 build, the cleaning process has began, machining will be next.
Christ that was 2 months ago!!
Sometimes it takes a little longer than you expect or want it to doesn't it.
Just remember that the next time you jump on me for results.

Quick Reply: 455 build with pictures and dyno test starts today