425 valve covers

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:57 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

425 valve covers

My cars stock valve covers are baffled(66 425 4bbl), I want to go back with chrome covers when I have it rebuilt, do I have to have the baffled valve covers? what is the difference? Thanks.
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Past Administrator

The baffles will prevent oil blowby, if you use valve covers without baffles you may experience oil on the outer surfaces of the covers and on the top of the engine. There was another post here about someone who had trouble with this and I think the correction was using baffled valve covers.
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:20 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I was told that I needed to use them. It's just in my nature to always want to know why as well. Thanks!
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:52 PM
65 post sport coupe w/425

Be careful when ordering the valve covers. I ordered standard chrome valve covers w/baffles from Mondello and they don't fit. The problem is that on the 425 I have the breather holes are in the center and the ones from Mondello are on each end or offset. The baffles on the offset covers hit the rockers as the spacing between them isn't wide enough. Not sure if this is true on all 425's or if the problem was caused because I changed the stock valve train to a comp cams system. Something you should check first though.
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:40 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

thanks, I was thinking about doing the same thing, though I'm just going to be cruising & showing off so I don't know if it is worth the effort or the extra money.
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM
same but different

I recently installed some roller rockers on my 455. I found it to be true, that some of the rockers hit the baffles, just barely and only on a few. I' m using factory valve covers.

I did'nt like that, so I had three choices. Dent the baffles just were they made contact, remove the baffles, or double up and glue two sets of gaskets.

I chose to remove my baffles. Actually, I had a set allready just in case.

So far, I have driven about 200 miles. No leaking or oil consumpton........ yet, and don't expect any. We'll see.
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Freedom Fighter

Good info. I have Edelbrock chrome covers and do get some blow-by. I like the look (when the hoods up at a show) and carry a roll of paper towels.
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by frdmftr
Good info. I have Edelbrock chrome covers and do get some blow-by. I like the look (when the hoods up at a show) and carry a roll of paper towels.
The 66 delta 88 I miight be getting has those edelbrock covers. I was wondering if this could be the reason also that I'm getting that knocking sound on the top of the valve cover
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM

200 miles may not be enough to show any problems,I had no baffled valve covers and was running a pcv valve and found out that I was pulling oil thru the valve covers and thru the pcv valve and actually causing a carbon build up on my intake valves. it caused a oil consumption problem that I was not aware of until i elimanated the pcv valve,I thought 1 qt evey 750 miles was ok on a performance engine, after I elimanated the pcv valve I have run almost 2k and have not had to add any oil.fyi I have no discernable blow by.