425 questions

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2013, 06:10 AM

425 questions

I recently acquired a 425 engine in a car deal. The engine was out and appeared to be very fresh. I bought the package from an estate so was not able to get any info on specifics about things like this engine. I did not want to just run this engine without knowing what I had.

The good:
So, I have torn it down to a short block to see what is there. The heads are B heads and appear to have been rebuilt. The block is a D block and is bored .30 over. The pistons are very close to flat top. So, rather high compression. They have .030-S and 2184P stamped in the top. There was a box in the parts that said 425 cam 270. There is push rod guides and roller tip rockers on the heads. This engine appears to have been run but not much. It has a bolt in valley pan. I have not as of yet pulled the oil pan.

The bad:
Found a crack in the water jacket in the center water jacket right where it meets the deck of the engine. There appears to be JB weld in the inside of the water jacket.

Not sure what I want to do with this engine. I do have a 67 442 project I could build this engine to put in. But have a nice running engine in it now. I do have a good 455 block so I could reblock it. Yes I am aware the cam bank angle would require a cam change. And I am aware of the lifter bore issues. As well as having to use the entire rotating assembly (rods, pistons, crank, balancer, flywheel) as a unit to make that swap.

Just not sure what I want to do with it. Might even sell it and use the funds towards my project. I am interested in opinions others might have.

Thanks
Larry
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:03 PM

Hi Larry
Can you tell if its a Toro engine or not? I'm thinking the Toro 425's in 1966 had something different with the lifters or cam bank angle, but don't remember for sure what it was. I've got a couple bare 425 blocks down in Medford, but I'd have to check to see if they were 1966 or 67's. They would likely need bored to fit your pistons. But that would allow you to use all the 425 internals.

John
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Registered Luser

Toro engine will have the 39* lifter bank angle....this is a good thing!
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:06 PM

I don't know how to tell if it is a toro motor or not. I believe it is a 66 mostly due to the B heads. It has a production date of 208. In all the parts I got with it, there was a Toronado intake manifold as well as an aftermarket intake. I guess I can measure to see which lifters it has. I don't know how to determine the cam bank angle.
I agree with you John it would make sense to stay with a 425 block. I will see what I can find out and get back to you. Are you out working the fires?

Any advise or help on the ID from the group would be appreciated.

Thanks
Larry
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Hi Larry
Back to complaining about the search feature... I know there's a real good thread showing photos to determine if its the 39 or 45 degree cam bank angle. If you checked that, or maybe just the size of the lifters you could tell if its a Toro block or not.

Then there's also the drill hole... from what I remember that was only done on Toro blocks too. Someone who knows for sure will have to chime in and help

My knees have had me off the firelines for several years. I still do support work and at this time am home each night. This weekend I could take some pictures for you if you'd like.

John
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:33 PM

John,
I am glad your not on the lines that is just plain for kids. Runs you into the ground.
I am pretty sure it is a toro block. The intake that is in the parts is a toro intake. The lifters seem to be same as a 455 and if I remember right that is Toro only. But help is for sure needed to be sure. My digital mic has a dead battery plan to get new batteries tomorrow.

I did take a 455 lifter and it fits perfectly in the 425

Thanks all help is welcome

Larry

Last edited by lemoldsnut; August 9th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Just the facts...

b heads are '66, d block is '66 or '67, if it has 455-size lifters, it's gonna be a 45 degree block. toro's and other 39 degree 425 blocks used the larger .921" lifters.

bill
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Jmo, I have quite a few 425's. B- headed small lifters (.843 I think) are 45º. Now the four 1967 425 C-headed I have are all small lifter 39º engines. This is just my own experience. You can check them using a couple squares/straight edge. Ken